View Poll Results: Is Aristeia better than TTW?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aristeia is hugely superior!

52 70.27%
  • TTW is superior.

4 5.41%
  • They are much of a sameness.

18 24.32%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Aristeia better than TTW?

Default Is Aristeia better than TTW?

Inspired by the fact the Aristeia forums have died lately yet the TTW forums always have activity.

Default Re: Is Aristeia better than TTW?

Even though it costs about £3 these days, people still won't buy Alexander - that's the only reason I can posit.

TTW was great, but felt slightly unfinished, and not as well implemented - it felt more like RTW with a different map and different units, rather than like a completely new game with its own atmosphere to it, as Aristeia does. You can tell that your modding skills have come along very nicely, and you exceeded my (high) expectations, whereas with TTW, you only satisfied them.

Benz282's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Dekker View Post
    Even though it costs about £3 these days, people still won't buy Alexander - that's the only reason I can posit.

TTW was great, but felt slightly unfinished, and not as well implemented - it felt more like RTW with a different map and different units, rather than like a completely new game with its own atmosphere to it, as Aristeia does. You can tell that your modding skills have come along very nicely, and you exceeded my (high) expectations, whereas with TTW, you only satisfied them.
    Yes, this.

I bought RTW Gold off Steam for Alexander in order to play Aristeia, even though I already had disk-copies of RTW + BI. Even though I feel it was worth it, having to buy something you already have in order to play one mod might put a few people off. This only applies to those who don't already have RTW Gold; I'm not sure why they wouldn't play Aristeia. Perhaps it is just because of the setting. While the Trojan War is a unique and fun time-period to base a mod off of, it might not appeal to the "casual" RTW gamer, who might just want to conquer and re-conquer the world over and over again with the Roman juggernaut.

I think those factors do much to lessen the traffic going through here.
    Last edited by Benz282; April 02, 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Last edited by Dekker; April 02, 2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: double post - computer glitch

Agisilaos's Avatar GREECE - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Αριστεία for me
    Macedones were, are and will always be Greeks
    Under the Noble Patronage of jimkatalanos and proud patron of Agis Tournas and cocobongoclub-DJ
    Terrae Expugnandae, Imperial Might, Mythology, Complete Byzantine Roster, Ruins of glory, Sparta 3, Hegemonia City States, Roma Surrectum 2,300 Warlords of Sparta, Sparta 3.5, Classical Age Total War
    watch this
    , this and this
    Τακτική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις αν υπάρχει κάτι που μπορείς να κάνεις.
    Στρατηγική είναι να ξέρεις τι να κάνεις όταν δεν υπάρχει τίποτα να κάνεις.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

I have never played TTW but from the previews I thought it didn't look that good.......Aristeia on the otherhand is awesome. The atmosphere created by the campaign colours and soundtrack are top knotch and the units look beautiful ^-^

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Both are awesome and I've had countless hours of fun, no doubt, but I'd have to say I like Aristeia more (I do miss my Amazon faction, though ). The only things about Aristeia I don't care for are all the Greek text (ancillaries, traits, etc.) and the bronze hue of the map (the TTW map feels a bit more... alive... to me). Aside from those things, it's almost perfect.

Aristeia is the one mod where I have huge difficulty deciding what faction I want to play when I'm starting a new campaign, as all of them have a number of things which make them all equally awesome. I'll often start campaigns with multiple ones before deciding.

troy was ok in my opinion, but aristeia is the best mod for any game i have ever played. so theres your answer

this mod is getting some amazing reviews and i seem to comment on them because this game is soo good.

here is one. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...45#post7174445

"time is no power or force, the passage of time mearly weathers the heart and soul of heros" anon

TTW also lost alot of realism with the updates. Whereas before, Mykenai had a good chance against any other opponent, after the update, their troops were akin to peasants, losing even with overwhelming odds and their best troops while also running alot faster than before. They were a threat and felt realistic as a power that could have dominated greece before, but not its surprising they even have more than one city considering how weak their army has gotten. TTW was cool and colorful and felt as tho the units and cultures had much more cultural and unit diversity than they do in Aristrea. I wonder however about both mods, what armor they are using. Didn't Dorians, hittites, nubian peoples, and Philitistines become the first to use iron? TTW also has the view of how the age ended, with the coming of the Dorians and other sea peoples that destroyed not only mycenaen culture but many other ancient empires as they raided and grew, like the hittites. Aristrea does not take you to the end of that age. Dorians I wonder if they might work better as a barbarian horde with BI? Only though if the factions, units and armies were rebalanced. Also I wonder about the Spartiai, were they NOT as such before the Dorians came? I mean as in the elite specialized hard core fighting troops and best in the world sort of thing? Athens and sparta were minor cities compared to Mykenai, Pylos, Thebes, and Argos were they not?
    Last edited by Cincinatus; January 21, 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

The Spartiatai - the famous citizen soldiers of classical Sparta - are not in Aristeia. The troops in Aristeia are Spartoi, the mythical warriors of Greek mythology who grew out of dragons' teeth sown in the soil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinatus View Post
    TTW also lost alot of realism with the updates. Whereas before, Mykenai had a good chance against any other opponent, after the update, their troops were akin to peasants, losing even with overwhelming odds and their best troops while also running alot faster than before. They were a threat and felt realistic as a power that could have dominated greece before, but not its surprising they even have more than one city considering how weak their army has gotten. TTW was cool and colorful and felt as tho the units and cultures had much more cultural and unit diversity than they do in Aristrea. I wonder however about both mods, what armor they are using. Didn't Dorians, hittites, nubian peoples, and Philitistines become the first to use iron? TTW also has the view of how the age ended, with the coming of the Dorians and other sea peoples that destroyed not only mycenaen culture but many other ancient empires as they raided and grew, like the hittites. Aristrea does not take you to the end of that age. Dorians I wonder if they might work better as a barbarian horde with BI? Only though if the factions, units and armies were rebalanced. Also I wonder about the Spartiai, were they NOT as such before the Dorians came? I mean as in the elite specialized hard core fighting troops and best in the world sort of thing? Athens and sparta were minor cities compared to Mykenai, Pylos, Thebes, and Argos were they not?
    We didn't see much point in trying to make a realism mod for a mythical series of events. TTW was partly inspired by the movie, by history and by myth and so morphed into a multi-personality mod which kept everybody happy to an extent but nobody completely happy.

Aristeia is purely about the myth, hence all the quotations from Homer, the highly stylised lighting, the highly stylised unit representations and the campaigns called 'Aristeia', 'Iliad', and 'Cypria' which the eagle-eyed player will have noticed aren't historical time frames. Aristeia isn't remotely trying to be an historical representation. Other eras from recorded history merit that attention, but we figured that a myth based stylised mod would best suit a mythical story. Just because it isn't history doesn't mean there isn't a great deal to be learnt from Aristeia, but I can guarantee that you will be disappointed if you bring historical expectations to a myth based mod.

Never played TTW, but I have to say that I played Aristeia for about twenty minutes (the faction that starts out on Kythera) and was BLOWN AWAY. WOW! What a great dark atmosphere. Not to mention I got completely whooped in my first attempt at getting a foothold on the mainland (I blame the lack of experience).

NICE
    Under the patronage of John I Tzimisces

Quote Originally Posted by Drtad View Post
    Never played TTW, but I have to say that I played Aristeia for about twenty minutes (the faction that starts out on Kythera) and was BLOWN AWAY. WOW! What a great dark atmosphere. Not to mention I got completely whooped in my first attempt at getting a foothold on the mainland (I blame the lack of experience).

NICE
    You aren't the only one. That's a very challenging faction to play.

Indeed... my population is really booming though (I chose to build temples to Demeter so growth is at nearly 10%).

I'll flood the mainland.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Kythera...

Oh, that's the House of Thyestes, not? I didn't play them yet. Seem very cool to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bull3pr00f View Post
    Kythera...

Oh, that's the House of Thyestes, not?
    Yes, that's them. I can't remember all of these "House of X" names most of the time. The only ones I can remember are the "stars" of the show like Atreus, Peleus, Dardanos, and Minos.

I didn't play them yet. Seem very cool to play.
    They're quite difficult to start out and gaining a foothold on the mainland is quite a task due to having only two types of units, both melee units, recruitable on Kythera.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    They're quite difficult to start out and gaining a foothold on the mainland is quite a task due to having only two types of units, both melee units, recruitable on Kythera.
    Luckily I have enough money to bribe captains to my side.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

I started. Conquered a few island (which gave me the option to recruit pirates, aichmetai and xipherai, among others). Then I invaded Aigina (Myrmidons )

Currently preparing for my invasion of Mycene.

The house of thyestes represents a different sort of challenge at the start of the campaign. With no interest in the trojan war the early stages of the campaign can easily descend into guerilla warfare against the house of atreus (which the two units you can recruit are ideally suited for) while Aigisthos plots his return to Mycenae. It is one of my favourite factions and a nice change from the others.
    Last edited by Zhuge_Liang; February 11, 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast