Thread: Unit Naming Options

Default Unit Naming Options

Sorry if this has been mentioned before

Would it be possible to create a list of names for newly created units?

For example Arthur Wellesley is currently beseiging Amsterdam with; 1&2 btns, 83rd (County of Dublin) Rgt., 1&3 btns, 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot, 2/73rd (Highland) Regiment of Foot and the KGL 3rd Battalion of the Line

What I would like is for my battalions to be called (Btn. number)/(Rgt. number)th (Regiment Name). I take it this would be rather difficult to implement?
    Last edited by rossw; April 01, 2010 at 06:46 PM.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Default Re: Unit Naming Options

I don't know if it is possible to mod this, but you can do it manually by opening up each unit card, then right clcking in the name space, and typing in your required designation and clicking the tick box.

Quote Originally Posted by rossw View Post
    Sorry if this has been mentioned before

Would it be possible to create a list of names for newly created units?

For example Arthur Wellesley is currently beseiging Amsterdam with; 1&2 btns, 83rd (County of Dublin) Rgt., 1&3 btns, 66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot, 2/73rd (Highland) Regiment of Foot and the KGL 3rd Battalion of the Line

What I would like is for my battalions to be called (Btn. number)/(Rgt. number)th (Regiment Name). I take it this would be rather difficult to implement?
    I created a thread like this once, I share your wish to see my units have names other than just "1st Regiment of Foot", when they didn't even really call any units that name in 1805. It seems to me that there has to be a programable list you can do that is faction specific because each faction has its own, unique list of ship names. I'll let you know if I find anything out about implimenting this with land units.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Essling View Post
    I don't know if it is possible to mod this, but you can do it manually by opening up each unit card, then right clcking in the name space, and typing in your required designation and clicking the tick box.
    Thanks, but I already do this. I was wondering if there was a way to get the game to do it automatically

Hazbones's Avatar Senator

There are 2 ways to do this from what I know:

1. There is a unit names table in the data pack that holds all of the default unit names (IE: 1st Regiment of Foot) which you can add to with all of the unit numbers formatted the way you want but the problem with this approach is that you cannot specify which name gets picked when a unit is recruited in game. That means if I created a "66th (Berkshire) Regiment of Foot" regiment name in my unit names table, I might recruit a line rgt in say Paris and it might end up with the 66th's unit name. Also the game cannot determine if the name should go to a grenadier, line, skirmisher, etc. It lumps them into infantry, Cav, and Arty. The game decides which name to use based upon what names are currently being used on the map. DLC units are defined in the .loc file so their names are always assigned correctly.

2. The other way is to create each regiment as a custom unit and then go into the .loc file and add your custom unit with the name formatted to your liking. Creating custom units is tedious but will enable you to specify where and how many can be raised.