Thread: The Problem with Sexual Abuse Allegations

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default The Problem with Sexual Abuse Allegations

Although this thread is not at all a Catholic apologist thread as anyone who has read just a fraction of my posting history will see that I hope that corrupt institution gets turned inside out by criminal investigators. There are, however, very great problems with the use of sexual abuse allegations as a "weapon" against people.

The target I am talking about here is teachers. I, as a teacher myself, am particularly sensitive to this issue and to illustrate the problem I will introduce to you Hannah McIntyre.

Miss McIntyre was a teacher at a school before a teenager, decided to continue his campaign of abuse against her, decided to make allegations that he had slept with her, causing her to be dismissed from her post and face a criminal charge for taking advantage of being in a position of authority. Luckily, the jury found her non-guilty due to a large amount of evidence in her favour but there isn't always such a large amount of evidence and it often comes down to the teacher's word against the child's.

You can read about the case here.

Now I am all too aware of the other side of the problem: that people in positions of authority do sexually abuse children and do get away with it. As I see it, there's no real solution as if you relax regulation and don't suspend a teacher who is still pending investigation then there's a chance that this teacher is in fact a danger to children and could re-offend again, hence my posting this thread and I now invite you to offer opinions on this very prickly topic.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Default Re: The Problem with Sexual Abuse Allegations

It's the tabloid hysteria and stuff like the American public sex offender lists that we need to worry about. I also think that we need further focus on rehabilitation rather than following the rash mobs calls for harsh punishments - at the end of the day most of the offenders clearly have severe mental problems and need professional psychological help, and as a society it's our duty to face up to this, as disgusting as many of these crimes are.

Cars are largely to blame for the mess.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: The Problem with Sexual Abuse Allegations

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado † View Post
    The status quo's pretty flawed (as this case illustrates), but there's not much that can be changed in the law. It's the tabloid hysteria and stuff like the American public sex offender lists that we need to worry about. I also think that we need further focus on rehabilitation rather than following the rash mobs calls for harsh punishments - at the end of the day most of the offenders clearly have severe mental problems and need professional psychological help, and as a society it's our duty to face up to this, as disgusting as many of these crimes are.
    Yes, I'm of the rather dangerous opinion that paedophilia is a psychological disorder that requires treatment rather than simply incarceration. Presumably these people are lacking the self-control or inhibition that prevents other members of society from acting in the same way and self-control can easily be taught.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."