View Poll Results: Who shouldn't be allowed EU? Multiple choices allowed!

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • Albania

56 35.22%
  • Armenia

62 38.99%
  • Belarus

53 33.33%
  • Bosnia-Hertzegovina

40 25.16%
  • Croatia

25 15.72%
  • Georgia

69 43.40%
  • Iceland

25 15.72%
  • Israel

109 68.55%
  • Kossovo.

59 37.11%
  • R. of Macedonia/F.Y.R.O.M

42 26.42%
  • R. of Moldavia

35 22.01%
  • Montenegro

28 17.61%
  • Morocco

91 57.23%
  • Norway

11 6.92%
  • Russia

69 43.40%
  • Serbia

43 27.04%
  • Switzerland

16 10.06%
  • Turkey

93 58.49%
  • Ukraine

38 23.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who deserves to not be admited in the EU?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Who deserves to not be admited in the EU?

Who do you think shouldn't be admited in EU and why?
    Last edited by CiviC; April 01, 2010 at 05:41 AM.

Default Re: Who deserves to not be admited in the EU?

What, specific countries? More general?

I think prospective members need to reach certain economic and social benchmarks before gaining access to the EU. That is to say they need a healthy, free economy, free press, a small level of corruption, a good human rights record. So if it was down to me I'd be generally happy to let Poland and the Baltic states in, but Romania and Bulgaria and the Balkan states probably wouldn't.

I'd be happy to set up some sort of associate status for these countries, which would help them improve their economy and standards of living and have a view for full membership. But there's absolutely no benefit to having Romania and Bulgaria in the EU from the UK's perspective, as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    What, specific countries? More general?

I think prospective members need to reach certain economic and social benchmarks before gaining access to the EU. That is to say they need a healthy, free economy, free press, a small level of corruption, a good human rights record. So if it was down to me I'd be generally happy to let Poland and the Baltic states in, but Romania and Bulgaria and the Balkan states probably wouldn't.

I'd be happy to set up some sort of associate status for these countries, which would help them improve their economy and standards of living and have a view for full membership. But there's absolutely no benefit to having Romania and Bulgaria in the EU from the UK's perspective, as far as I can see.
    I added a poll with ALL possible candidates.

As for the UK perspective, it was always selfish. The question is not "How would benefit the admition of X country to UK?" but ""How would benefit the admition of X country to the Union (European not British Union)?".

Bleda's Avatar Domesticus

So if it was down to me I'd be generally happy to let Poland and the Baltic states in, but Romania and Bulgaria and the Balkan states probably wouldn't.
    well someone's beat you to it, Poland is already a member.

Well, the UK is not a charity. Romania's desire to be in the EU is no less self-motivated than the UK wanting whatever.

Only countries I would allow in from that list are Iceland, Norway, Switzerland and possibly Ukraine. Meant to vote Kossovo and Georgia but skipped them.

Well, the UK is not a charity. Romania's desire to be in the EU is no less self-motivated than the UK wanting whatever.
    I understand your point of view. Still it was considered by all European countries that the admission of Romania would have greater benefits then leting her out. The aim of the Union is to create a stable economical and political common space and marginalising Romania would have contradicted this aim.

Quote Originally Posted by CiviC View Post
    I understand your point of view. Still it was considered by all European countries that the admission of Romania would have greater benefits then leting her out. The aim of the Union is to create a stable economical and political common space and marginalising Romania would have contradicted this aim.
    I agree. That's exactly why I said I would be more than happy for some sort of associate status set up to help Romania, et. al. economically and otherwise.

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Israel? Georgia? Armenia?

Israel?

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    Israel? Georgia? Armenia?

Israel?
    Yes, and Morocco too

I included all countries that have a potential or it was often rumoured that in the future could join the Union.
    Last edited by CiviC; April 01, 2010 at 05:06 AM.

Lord de Lyonesse's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Morocco is even less in Europe than Turkey or Israel.

I agree, and Russia. Well if it ever does absorb all these countries the EU may as well call itself the Fourth Reich with a human face
    GSTK: Richard Trevelyan [47] - Lord of Lyonesse

Pious Agnost's Avatar Praefectus

The only ones of those that should be prospects I think, are Norway, Switzerland and Iceland.

The others should have to get themselves into shape first, socially and politically.

Also, some of those aren't... Well European

Quote Originally Posted by Pious Agnost View Post
    The only ones of those that should be prospects I think, are Norway, Switzerland and Iceland.

The others should have to get themselves into shape first, socially and politically.

Neither Cyprus is in Europe geographically, or some French overseas territories. European Union is a political and economical organisation not strictly a geographical one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pious Agnost View Post

In reality a lot of that list are going to become members in a very short period of time, and Norway and Switzerland actually probably wont be among them. Albania and Croatia especially are well on their way. Montenegro, Macedonia and even Serbia will follow. Kossovo too, is pretty much a certainty, after Serbia inevitably climbs down for the sake of its economy. Ukraine and George have been made promises they can expect to move towards memebership.

Israel certainly will not be joining due to a legion of problems. Armenia's an outside possibility. Turkey could get it's act together pretty quickly. Belarus is a dictatorship.

I don't understand why Israel is even considered for EU. I think in order to be an EU state that state has to at least border and EU nation. (except if Island of course like Ireland)

Countries like Georgia, Armenia, Moldova, etc. are not close to EU standards, but are working slowly towards it. There should be however a formal associate membership for those countries working up.
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Israel if solves its problems with Palestinians qualifies immediately economically and politically to become a member. It is a very European society there and the Israelis have most ancestry from Europe.

Atterdag's Avatar Tro og Håb

All of the Balkans. And Apartheid Israel. And the Georgians and Armenians and the Ukrainians.
    Last edited by Atterdag; April 01, 2010 at 06:48 AM.
    Granted Lettre de Marque by King Henry V - Spurs given by imb39
    Сканија је Данска

عیسی پسر مریم گفت :' جهان است پل ، عبور بیش از آن است ، اما هیچ ساخت خانه بر آن او امیدوار است که برای یک روز ، ممکن است برای ابدیت امیدواریم ، اما ماندگار جهان اما ساعت آن را صرف در دعا و نماز برای استراحت است نهان

All of the Balkans is not worth the bones of a single Pomeranian grenadier.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by CiviC View Post
    Israel if solves its problems with Palestinians qualifies immediately economically and politically to become a member. It is a very European society there and the Israelis have most ancestry from Europe.
    They also invade their neighbours every two years or so.

ly0_ly0's Avatar Miles

lol some countries arent even in europe....anyway i voted Turkey

I'm a rep whore so rep me already

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Iceland until they pay off their debts to the Netherlands and the UK

Ukraine because that would piss off Russia and they are going back to their old pro-Russian stance

Morocco.

Plus Israel.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast