Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: How to add an existing unit to another faction

Default Re: How to add an existing unit to another faction

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I would suggest to run the bovine checker - it does pick up missing spaces at the end of lines which may lead to stuff like this. That's the only thing I can come up with considering that poland entries in modeldb are simply a clone of the TO entries.

Do the officers for poland show fine?
    officer Ritterbruder_ug1
    officer northern_captain_early_flag
    Yes - the officer is showing fine, as well polish flag.

I'll run checker and see if it picks up something

SORTED - after some digging with files it turns out that there are 3 more models bd files that meloo created with his bugfix compilation located in unit_models folder, called battle_models, battle_models_long_LOD and battle_models_short_LOD. I've edited entries in all 3 of them and voila, now I have unit in perfect condition on battlefield. I believe that depending on your preferences system is simply using one of them during the game and not the main one located in data folder.
    Last edited by sander454; January 26, 2019 at 12:45 AM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Stainless Steel uses a system of renaming files to the original file name and then copies them into the correct spot. This will be no exception. Makes modifying SS (and it's sub mods) a pain every now and then.

Never mind merging custom script parts into the campaign_script

It's the reason why Meloo says to set everything to default (any AI and NO other settings) BEFORE applying his fix. After that you can redo your settings.

I was following the instructions from the first page and everything went ok, except my banner carrier and officer behind him are silver surfers. I modded DAC, added lindar mariners to dol amroth faction. I don't think that the fact that I made them recruitable from unique building has anything with it.

Blog Entries

As I mentioned in the DaC thread - follow up on the officer model by tracing it in the modelDB file, clone a existing faction's entries, don't forget to increase the sections' total faction count.

As I mentioned in the DaC thread - follow up on the officer model by tracing it in the modelDB file, clone a existing faction's entries, don't forget to increase the sections' total faction count.
    I'm not very fluent in modding lingo, so do you mean that I should look in EDU and see what officers are used for Sindar Marines and then find in MDB and add entry for a faction Dol Amroth (Denmark)? I did add couple of other elven units just to compare an all have same problem, bannerman and oficcer behind him are SS but the third officer (captain, general?) is normal. I also used search option and randomly found anything that has entry as elf, high elf officer and added entries for DA (Denmark). It didn't work. I'm now going to recheck everything connected with officers entries because this seems to be the problem.

EDIT: Thanks, solved it, posted on DAC forum!
    Last edited by Machina Ex; February 18, 2019 at 03:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Glad you managed to solve it. Link to fix.

Hello, I'm trying to add some units from Third Age Total war Reforged 0.97 to TATW MOS 1.7. Thanks many tutorial, I can understand modeldb code. I wrote the unit code in MOS modeldb, I tested it and the game not crashed. When I wrote the unit in EDU is the problem. The game crash before the main menú. I have checked the EDU's code many times and I can't find the mistake. Could somebody help me?

Blog Entries

Please provide your crash log together with your EDB, EDU and modelDB file. Best to simply compress the files into one zip\rar file, (7Zip is freeware) and then upload it.
    Need to know the unit's name as well, of course

can someone help me out please?

here's my bmdb file: can you where the problem is? i am trying to have bill militia and heavy bill militia for france scotland denmark saxons normans milan venice sweden england spain and hre for clouds across europe 2.0.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries

Do try and use Gracul's Unit Editor - it allows you to 'write' a corrected modeldb (mdb.txt) file which you can find in the editor's root folder. You can then copy the content of it into your modeldb file (overwriting everything) AFTER making a BACKUP.

Hi there! is it possible for you or anybody else on the forum to switch units from principality of antioch to jerusalem so that playing for jerusalem i could recruit from both factions?

Blog Entries

Well, that's exactly what this tutorial is all about. why don't you give it a try?

To make the crusades campaign mod compatible use my desktop shortcuts and then use this method to unpack the required files.

Hello, love this game. Coming back to it again after years of hiatus and picking up my old Rus campaign. I've followed the instructions to add Knights hospitallers unit. Everything worked great, except the banner that is above the units in the middle is silver and missing texture of the hospitaller flag. Do I have to adjust the banners somewhere?

Blog Entries

If memory serves the special banners (crusade, hospitalers etc) do not work. If, then their reference (as well as the generic small banners if that's your issue) to their texture is in the descr_banner_new.xml file. Silver usually indicates that a faction's texture is not present or has a faulty reference.

If memory serves the special banners (crusade, hospitalers etc) do not work. If, then their reference (as well as the generic small banners if that's your issue) to their texture is in the descr_banner_new.xml file. Silver usually indicates that a faction's texture is not present or has a faulty reference.
    Thanks, that is exactly what the doctor ordered, descr_banner_new.xml. Just had to add a texture line with my faction name. Sorry such a long response. My game crashed and I had to reinstall and then had to do redo a bunch of modding I made. You wouldn't have to know where I can change/update the look of a General in battle? After the crash my Kievan Rus general is missing the texture and is just silver.

Blog Entries

silver - that would be a missing faction texture allocated in the data\unit_models\modelDB file

silver - that would be a missing faction texture allocated in the data\unit_models\modelDB file
    What am I looking for here? I've adjusted this file before when adding units to another faction, but I'm not sure which thing stands for General texture, the bodyguards are fine.

Blog Entries

You have to find the unit in the EDU file that has a general_unit attribute and has ownership of that particular faction: that's your faction's bodyguard unit. Then trace it's armour_ug_models entries in the modeldb file and add the missing two texture entries.

I am attempting to add the Monster Bombard to the Byzantines in Stainless Steel. I am aware I will need to edit 3 other folders within Stainless Steel to avoid the 'silver surfer units' LOD issues but I find despite editing the recruit file for campaign it just leads to campaign crashing on load itself.

Is there another file I need to edit for SS? Or is there a line in the recruitment I am missing? I just added Byzantium to the recruitable option in the Monster Bombard field with the Turks.

EDIT:

I figured out the problem which was related to a mod I had installed not loading my campaign.

However, in my experimenting with units I am having a problem with the stretched textures. I am adding the Turk monster bombard to Byzantium:

9 byzantium
    85 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_turks.texture
    86 unit_models/_Units/ME_Light_Mail_Heavy_Mail/textures/mtw2_ME_light_mail_normal.texture
    53 unit_sprites/turks_ME_Monster_Bombard_Crew_sprite.spr
    Does 85, 86, 53 in the lines above need to be replaced with Byzantium numbers? If so, how do I know which ones are appropriate? Do I need to use ones that correlate with what I am adding (i.e - artillery numbers for artillery counterparts) or can it be any number from the Byzantium listings?
    Last edited by Bones4491; November 17, 2023 at 05:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Does 85, 86, 53 in the lines above need to be replaced with Byzantium numbers?
    The numbers in front of the line are the count of characters of the entry. All of which are fine in your entry.
    There should also be a second section for the attachment textures.

Not sure about the 'stretched' aspect of it - normally you would simply use a texture entry from another faction within that model which should then be fine. Those textures can then be edited later to add faction details\colors and then added back under a different file name (which might need adjusting of the line count numbers).

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213