Thread: If you get a CTD while loading campaign, READ THIS!!

Default If you get a CTD while loading campaign, READ THIS!!

I have a Vista x64 computer with tons of RAM and graphics ability. I also have a bunch of games I play, but sometimes I still get the hankering for the original Medieval TW. Unfortunately, MTW wouldn't run on my fancy up-to-date machine with Nvidia graphics (G210 card). The intro movie and menu would load, I would select my campaign, the campaign load bar would appear, and right before the campaign loaded, it would CTD. I spent hours looking through sites and tinkering with files.

Then I discovered this fix: http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/34542

It worked for me! I am so happy that I can now enjoy this great game once again!!

My system is:
    Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2
    Direct X 11
    Nvidia G210 with 512 MB graphics card
    Intel Pentium R dual core E 5300 @2.60 Ghz
    6 GB Ram
    600 GB hd
    Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: If you get a CTD while loading campaign, READ THIS!!

Hi Don D,

Happy for you man, that you can play the game again due to the semi-famous buttonfix. However,
    it might not be as groundbreaking news as it was back in 2008. None the less, a little renewed spotlight
    on it will probably not hurt. Hopefully others might get lucky as well, due to your post here.

BTW, the are two versions of this buttonfix (both workes just as well). There is the NTW-version the one mentioned
    above, discovered by Peterde123, and there is the Redux-version which is not available as individual files, by yours
    truly. Crafted after Peters wonderful discovery. To my knowledge, there probably are no other versions around. It might
    be of value to know here as well.

- Cheers

I saw that but I'm not sure what to do after downloading it (I'm not really a tech whizz)

"So it could not be a graphics driver issue... I started toying around, removed and cleanly installed MTW, made a backup and tried to find out what made MTW work when I installed the Mod. I succeded to narrow the problem down to TWO FILES:

button_ipnext.BIF and button_ipprev.BIF in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" Folder.

I verified it by using the clean, vanilla installation and only replacing those two files with the ones from the Mod."

What is he on about?
    Can someone tell me what I have to do now!
    Last edited by mkgandhi; April 14, 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Hi mkgandhi,
    Basically, he's saying that there are two buttons on the campaign interface that Nvidia has problems rendering (for some unknown reason). These buttons were modified in the mod Napoleon TW, which was why he was able to play Napoleon TW, but not vanilla MTW.

Peterde 123 was able to isolate these buttons, extracted the ones from Napoleon TW, and pasted them over the vanilla MTW. Voila! Vanilla is playable again.

Towards the end of his post, he also points to a .zip file on Rapidshare which contains the files needed to fix MTW. I downloaded them recently (within the last month), so the link should still work.

Extract the .zip file, and paste the two files to "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" folder.

Hope this helps you enjoy this great game once again!

the rapidshare link says the application could not be found when i try to open it
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

ignore my last post
    Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    I love slavery

Libertus

I applied the button-fix after having patched my MTW to 2.01, but sadly I still can't get through to the campaign map.. I've read several other things that could help and I've noticed how I really don't know my way around in Vista.. In XP at least I could follow simple instructions, now it's just useless..

Especially regarding the antialiasing-fix, I have no clue on how I have to change the settings..

I'm hoping anybody else has some more experience with MTW Gold on Vista!

Btw, I would've found this topic very useful, if only I understood more of the technical stuff:
    http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...uple-solutions.

cheers