Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple installs. How to save your harddrive.

Default Multiple installs. How to save your harddrive.

It seems archaic that we, the members of the TWC community, are required to make copies of the 2.5GB Rome Total War directory, I mean really, come on. There has to be an easy way, hmm? Right? It must be easier than what it is now, but no, it was a lapse by CA or a term dictated by Activision. No mod friendlyness. So thus, we are stuck here without the ability to create new culture types, install multiple mods on one install, or breach certain limits the game imposes at each and every corner. No, we cannot do these things as of 1.2 Rome, as of now, with what the community knows at this point. We're really like children, we're bumbling our way along and we've done a good job so far.
    When BI came out, we soon found out we can have new cultures. It is now time to reveal something that I've kept a secret for a little while. For the past several months (About 2-3) over at the Beta Testing Team, I've been running two tests to see if one of my favorite programs works with RTW. It does, flawlessly, even better than in Silent Hunter III (Maybe some of you know what I'm talking about now). The purpose of this tool is to allow users of Rome Total War multiple mods on one install, a feat never before solved in this community to my knowledge, and thus, I introduce to you the JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler, or JSGME, as it is commonly referred to in the SHIII community.

Usage is fairly straightforward. Drop the EXE in your Rome - Total War directory under C:\Program Files\Activision\What have you... Run JSGME.exe once, it will create a MODS folder. Drop whatever in there, SPQR, RTR, but ensure that you have the files in under a subdirectory. Place the data folder in a folder of whatever name you wish, be it SPQR, RTR6, RTR6.1, etc. With all of the files in their correct folders just as they would be installed into stock RTW in a subfolder in MODS, you can now run JSGME. On the left hand side, you will see all of your folders as icons that you can throw into your game. JSGME simply takes these files and puts them in RTW after it creates backups of those that it is replacing. For RTR, it takes about 3 minutes to do this. After doing this, you can launch RTW all you want until you want to swap out mods. The readme offers a better explanation.
    To download, go to http://u-boot.realsimulation.com/, and then SH3 downloads. Agree, then go to SH3 Essentials and download JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler. Follow the above directions, rinse, and repeat.

I believe this should be stickied, because the last couple of times I put a thread up it faded into nothingness (And it was about free file hosting!), and this truly is important for all RTW players. If you run into any problems, do not blame me because I didn't make the program. You shouldn't though, I've tested it thoroughly with released and unreleased mods when doing my beta tests.
    Aren't I just great?

Download link added:
    http://www.twcenter.net/downloads/db/?mod=687
    Last edited by MSpencer; October 10, 2005 at 06:26 AM.

that's awesome, great work MSpencer

YES! I use JSGME for SHIII too! And I suspected it may work in RTW too, great find!

Yeah it was just a hunch. I had an hour downtime and the RTR beta, so I decided just to try it, and it worked.
    If you've played SHIII, you'd know it's just as unfavorable to mods as RTW (They're just learning how to add ships), but JSGME fixes the problem with installs.

In fact, it seems to me (not tested yet) that this program is similar to ModSwitcher but without the need of making a .rmd file, which is really an advantage.
    Thanks!

P.S.: would it be possible to distribute this program with the mod? This would make easier the installation.

This will be great..I also use your tool for SH3 and find it to be a very valuable asset to have...makes using mods that much simpler.

Ok, you lost me around what I do with the Data folder. Where exactly do I put the Data folder?
    Last edited by HighPriest16; October 06, 2005 at 02:08 PM.

How would you create the proper structure of the mods when most come as an installer not as seperate files?

I might be misunderstanding how to use this so please if you could explain your self. Do you just place the installer in a subdirectory or does the program make an original copy of Rome in its un modded stat then you install the mod and when you want it back run something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar
    How would you create the proper structure of the mods when most come as an installer not as seperate files?

I might be misunderstanding how to use this so please if you could explain your self. Do you just place the installer in a subdirectory or does the program make an original copy of Rome in its un modded stat then you install the mod and when you want it back run something else?
    The ones that come as installers, as far as I know, as simply executable zip files. It just automates the unzipping into a default location or a custom location of your choosing. So just unzip it into an empty folder instead of the root RTW folder.

Create a subfolder of any name in MODS, then place all files that would normally overwrite stock RTW files in their normal heirarchial structures there.
    EG Data/Models/Strat... etc...
    It's been a while since I looked in the RTW directory, so that may be totally wrong. If you've got no idea, just dump data in MODS/ModName.

I tried dumping data in there and I tried just installing the mod to an empty folder. I know it's possible, because it makes it the the load screen, but then it crashes.

I just unistalled and then reinstalled a fresh copy of RTW.

I must say this Mod Manager makes things much easier to install and unistall mods.Whats even better when I get bored with one I simply deactivate it and Activate another one.All on a single install of RTW instead of multiple installs..

Working with this in Silent Hunter III made it a little easier to figure out the file structure.
    A quick screenshot of it in action..

Zuwxiv's Avatar Bear Claus

Someone deserves a cookie!

Great job, this is excellent. Saves my hard drive, I hate using 10 gb for just RTW...

Currently worshipping Necrobrit *********** Thought is Quick
    I'm back for the TWCrack

You're right, I do deserve a cookie.

As far as the mod install problems. Run JSGME once. It will create a mod folder. Create a subfolder called whatever you want. RTR6, Darth Formations, Sky Mod, etc. Then dump all the files that would normally overwrite regular RTW files in there. Make sense now?

Wow! This works great!!! My hard drive is no longer groaning under the load of ump-teen different versions of RTW.

Say mods... could we get this stickied please? This is most certainly an essential add-on.

I tried dumping data in there and I tried just installing the mod to an empty folder. I know it's possible, because it makes it the the load screen, but then it crashes.

ShangTang's Avatar Domesticus

Great news, but I'm a bit surprised you all didn't know about Vercingetorix's ModSwitcher in the first place. Anyways this program looks easier to use, I'll definitely use it.

"AVDENTES FORTVNA JUVAT"

Sweet, now I can play the mods everyone's created. I suspect this will make modding the original game easier too since you would always have the original files or if you want to test something without needing to back up your files.

I didn't know about Vercingetorix's ModSwitcher... then again I've heard about some of his programs and have never been able to find them.

Yes, this is an essential tool for modmakers as well as users. For beta testing different builds of RTR (There were about 6 of 6.1 that we got, and I believe one was uploaded incorrectly so it was corrupt) it really expedited the process and allowed "side by side" comparisons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast