Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal Mapping in Layers

Default Normal Mapping in Layers

I’d like to share with you guys a normal mapping technique that achieves results that approach those of the normal maps on the Rusichi textures that most of us love so much. A lot of credit for the development of this technique goes to my friend Dome from the Magyar mod who showed me the basic principles on which my way of doing things is based.

The main advantage of this technique is that it allows for very clean normal maps that show only the surface details you as the texture artist wish to show and in turn allows for greater three dimensional affect. In addition, no special programs are required. All you need is Photoshop and the Nvidia normal map plug-in. (You will however need keep your original textures on layers in your PSD files rather than consolidating them.)

Here is the texture I intend to demonstrate this technique on and the resulting normal map:

You can clearly see which piece of fabric lies over top of which and the wrinkles in the clothing are unobscured by the textile pattern.

Okay to proceed, it’s first important to understand how the Nvidia filter works. Dome discovered that the Nvidia filter basically makes every thing colored or dark to appear more raised and everything white to be set further back. This is a problem because we naturally highlight to show raised details on our textures. If you use the Nvidia plug-in with the textures as you create them the normal maps you make will be working against what you created and will thus obscure some details. It will actually set highlighted details further back. Because of the old concave/convex eye-fooling trick with light, you may not notice this too much, but it’s better to have your normal maps and textures working together. Unless the raised details of a particular texture are the darkest, it is best to invert all textures before applying the Nvidia filter. Because it is also hard for you to judge color saturation with your eyes it is also best to desaturate your textures. That way you know that darker equals raised and lighter equals set further back. With color taken out of the equation, the scaling of the Nvidia filter will also be more consistent layer to layer. This may all seem complicated to some, but trust me, it’s not once you see me run through the process.

Create your background:

Your background should be a light color before using the Nividia filter. I usually use black backgrounds so I simply invert them:

Image > Adjustments > Invert [Ctrl +I]

And then I run the Nvidia filter:

I use the Average RBG stetting and with the scale set to 5.5. You can experiment with other scales as most of you already know - the greater the number, the greater the depth difference. Of course the background is all one color so there is no difference here.

Remove all layers but the lowest:

In this case I’m starting with the mail because Muslim soldiers like this texture is for often wore their robes over top of their armour. (Please don’t take my mail texture without asking):

Desaturate:

For this particular texture it isn’t a big deal because there isn’t much color in it, but for some it makes a big difference:

Image > Adjustments > Desaturate [Shift + Ctrl + U]

Invert:

Image > Adjustments > Invert [Ctrl +I]

Run the Nvidia Filter:

You’ll need to run the Nvidia filter from the pulldown menu each time you use it. Simply using [Ctrl + F] causes a weird thing to happen.

Repeat the process for the next layer:

~ Remove all drop shadows
    ~ Do not include any fabric patterns
    Fabric patterns aren’t part of the physical shape of the clothing so they should not be included unless they are meant to be raised stitching in which case they should still be very light (not as 3D as a belt). To do this create all your fabric patterns as overlays on your main texture. That way you can also re-use the clothing’s wrinkle patterns as I often do. In this case I made the wrinkle template from Rusichi textures since I’m using a Ruschi model and because they look good.
    ~ Do include inner shadows.
    An inner shadow is usually part of the shape of an object and thusly should be included in the normal map. To do this you will need to create a blank texture below for inner shadowed layer and merge it down before doing the normal process.

Repeat the process for the each layer:

In this case I made the robe trim a separate normal map layer because I want it to look like a separate piece of fabric sewn on.

The final result:

To see some of my normal maps created using this technique in the game, check out this unit preview:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=341275
    Last edited by sumskilz; March 29, 2010 at 02:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Stephan's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Normal Mapping in Layers

great tutorial
    the results speak for themselves

edit:
    edit the link to the unit preview please
    Last edited by Stephan; March 29, 2010 at 02:22 AM.

Yes, I know that Ishtar is spelled wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    the link to the unit preview please
    Oh sorry, should work now.
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

EVYATAR's Avatar EvyatarNevoDesign

graet tutorial.
    maybe you can to made tutorial about to make realistic (detils) skin?
    like how to use the burn&doge tool in the best way.
    what the option of the burn&doge tool.
    or to show how you make skins for unit
    Last edited by EVYATAR; March 29, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
    R.I.P Blackomur | The Shadow of Ishtar | Proud to be israeli
    My Tutorial | My Workshop | I.A.F Web | 2D Artist & Skinner

gustave's Avatar Semisalis
    Patrician

Great tutorial, thank you ! It will be very useful for me.

Good job, but I have a litle problem.

I have done the normal map but I don´t know how to put that into the game. The game still read the normal map of vanilla. Can you explain this step?

p.d: Sorry my english

Swagger's Avatar Imperial Coffee-Runner

you have to reconvert it the .dds back to .texture
    Under the Patronage of the Dreadful cedric37!
    Ancs Guide, Emergent Factions , Yes/No Events |L'Outremer for Modders| Swagger's Skymod

Yes, I do that, but when i put the file into the game (the .texture) , the vanilla still read de vanilla normal.texture

example:

In the en_Imhail_hmail folder you have only a one normal.texture file for all the factions of the game :

en_Imhail_hmail_england.texture
    en_Imhail_hmail_france.texture
    en_Imhail_hmail_spain.texture
    en_Imhail_hmail_normal.texture

But there is only one normal.texture in the this folder. I want to put in the game a diferents normal maps for the factions ,For example:

en_Imhail_hmail_england_normal.texture
    en_Imhail_hmail_france_normal.texture
    en_Imhail_hmail_spain_normal.texture

but I dont know how to do that because the game always read the normal.texture of the vanilla and it not read the differents normal maps of the factions. ¿what is wrong?¿what i have to do?
    Last edited by Pankatu; March 30, 2010 at 08:07 AM.

but I dont know how to do that because the game always read the normal.texture of the vanilla and it not read the differents normal maps of the factions. ¿what is wrong?¿what i have to do?
    Did you edit the battle_models file?

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Did you edit the battle_models file?
    No, I didnt edit nothing of the battle_models, explain that please. Can you do a little tutorial to change the battle_models file in this post for see a differents normal.maps in vanilla?

Im beginnig to learn how to edit Medieval 2 troops , so I dont know a lot of things

thanks for all

There is a very good battle_models.modeldb tutorial in the tutorial section. It can be a pain to edit if you don't understand the format, but easy if you do. I recommend giving it a read.

Ok thanks ,

finally, I had done

How do you remove the layers?

Quote Originally Posted by Awellesley View Post
    How do you remove the layers?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Do you mean how do you move unwanted layers or are you asking how to consolidate all the layers into one?

To remove an unwanted layer you can simply make it not visible by clicking on the eye in the layers menu. To remove it forever you can right click on the layer and select "delete".

If you are asking about consolidating them into one, it is not necessary. Photoshop does it automatically when you save it as a DDS.

sorry for not being clear. In the first post, you show the mail and fabric as separate. Did you just save them as different files?

Quote Originally Posted by Awellesley View Post
    sorry for not being clear. In the first post, you show the mail and fabric as separate. Did you just save them as different files?
    Not exactly, they are not saved as separate files. They were created as separate layers in the first place (within a single PSD file). I always keep my work in PSD format. You loose some quality when converting to DDS, so I keep the PSDs and just create DDS files from them each time I make a change. Having separate layers in PSD format also means that you can reuse pieces easily when you create a different unit.

Here's a Photoshop layers tutorial :
    http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/layers/intro.htm

They are also some practical tips on using layers in Alletun's Tome of Knowledge.

Ah, thanks for the tip!

Amazing tutorial, much better normal maps with this method.

Zack-Stefy's Avatar Decanus

i think you should post a tutorial on youtube, about unit skining...it would be awsome!

Senator

this just might have been my problem, but i thought i should post this in case. Make sure on when you are doing your nvidia normal map filter settings that you have "using multiple layers" checked. when i run the filter without this my layers look transparent. Like i said this might just be me. awesome tutorial!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast