Thread: Changing buildable structures in towns.

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

Default Changing buildable structures in towns.

Tutorial Purpose: To change the types of buildings allowed in secondary towns.

Towns are broken up into types, intellectual, commercial, and industrial. Obviously, these decide which types of buildings you are allowed to construct in each. Intellectual towns allow the building of secret socieites and universities. Commercial towns allow the building of banks and supply depots, while industrial cities allow the building of factories and gun smiths.

To change this, using the PFM (if you are unfamiliar with the PFM or how to construct a mod, consult this tutorial), changing what types of buildings are allowed is quite simple.

1) Opening the data.pack with the PFM, look for a file entitled campaign_map_towns_and_ports.

2) You will notice that each of the towns/ports has a 'type.'

3) You will see that the towns that are not listed as ports are either listed as 'town-intellectual' 'town-industrial' 'town-commercial' or as 'town-unused' DO NOT EDIT 'town-unused' those towns require startpos changes in order to be activated (if they can be activated at all). Also, for safety purposes, do not edit town types listed as ports, since these too have startpos ties, and I am not sure what the results will be.

4) Make your desired change to your selected town.

5) Save your mod.

That's really all there is to it. Quite simple, actually.

NOTE:

I do not believe that making these changes are savegame compatible.
    Last edited by Thoragoros; March 28, 2010 at 04:55 PM.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Default Re: Changing buildable structures in towns.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    Has anyone gotten this to work? I've been trying to change Finland into an industrial center but when I follow the tutorial it remains a commercial center. Simply doesn't work for me. I'd be most grateful for any help.

Mef

Are you trying to use this with a saved campaign?
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

The Line of Thor

No, I have only tried to start new campaigns. Interestingly I did manage to use the ESF-editor to change the startpos so I actually had a manufactory in Finland, but it still remained a commercial center so I couldn't build the higher level buildings as the edits in my modded finland_campaign_map_towns_and_ports didn't change Helsinki to an industrial center.

I even tried changing the mod-pack to a movie-pack. Didn't work either. Very odd.

Mef

Quote Originally Posted by Mefistofeles View Post
    No, I have only tried to start new campaigns. Interestingly I did manage to use the ESF-editor to change the startpos so I actually had a manufactory in Finland, but it still remained a commercial center so I couldn't build the higher level buildings as the edits in my modded finland_campaign_map_towns_and_ports didn't change Helsinki to an industrial center.

I even tried changing the mod-pack to a movie-pack. Didn't work either. Very odd.

Mef
    Hmm, it's working for Mitch and myself with our WWI mod. I'll ask him to see if I have left anything out.

The Line of Thor

Quote Originally Posted by Mefistofeles View Post

Mef
    You mean that you've changed building type from X to Y in startpos building slot and the AI still realizes it as X?

I've triedThoragoros tutorial but never worked for me. Anyway I didn't pay much attention since I always make these changes through startpos. After Mefistofeles post I checked again and I can confirm the following:

1. Changing only db table is not enough to change the starting building slot (I repeat that is from my tests, maybe Thoragoros can do this.)

2. You can change the slot with the classic way we know from ETW, as Mefistofeles followed. In this case everything works fine.

3. Now about Helsinki: it is still referred as commercial center but this probably a cosmetic issue and not a real reference, because it can be upgraded to next industrial levels (I do not agree with Mefistofeles in this point) and the industrial effects are present (income, industry research techs, etc.) Anyway there is a way to fix this but you have to make changes in regions.esf file. For the moment there is not a stable Editor for regions.esf. In the next images you can see Helsinki as industrial center after both startpos and regions files have been changed. Second image is without regions.esf changes.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by husserlTW; April 16, 2010 at 08:20 AM.

tried to find how to do this the "ETW" way but found nothing. anyone have a step by step way for NTW that works for sure

Open startpos.esf and go in:

[..] CAMPAIGN_ENV/CAMPAIGN_MODEL/WORLD/REGION_MANAGER/REGIONS_ARRAY/REGION/REGION_SLOT_MANAGER/REGIONS_SLOT_ARRAY/REGION_SLOT/BUILDING_MANAGER/BUILDING

of the slot you want to change and enter the new building. In data\db you can find the available type of buildings.

The URL is not avaliable.
    EDIT:Sorry Husser ITW this was meant for the URL instructions for Napoleon total war Balkan ,Iberian, Scandinavian mod. Again sorry!
    Last edited by Andronicus011; August 10, 2010 at 07:10 AM.