Thread: East India Trading Company

Default East India Trading Company

I think it would be a great idea to add the East India faction to the official list for the Grand Campaign, with them governing the Bengal region and having trade relations to the Mughals and being a protectorate of Britain.

It will at least add a British presence on the Indian subcontinent, should GB fail to gain a foothold via the conventional naval invasion method.

The East India company can also prove to be a good trading partner for the Marathas, or perhaps even an ally or a bitter enemy when it comes to their campaign of defeating the Mughal Empire and the kingdom of Mysore.

Also, an East India company fleet threatening the waters of the Bay of Bengal can put the Marathan fleet to the test, aye?

And as we all know, the EIC was getting so powerful that Britain itself started to fear that one day its authority might be questioned. For all we know, if the EIC broke its allegiance, it would prove to be an interesting twist in total war history!

What say you?

Default Re: East India Trading Company

Adding new factions is not possible without taking away other. The idea is good, but what faction should disappear for that?...
    All my downloads need for uncompressing them:

7-Zip 9.10 beta Windows 32-bit

Might not be a bad idea, especially as a sub mod for something like the Darth Mod (since they have given a territory to the British in India already), maybe an option to give the 13 colonies to GB right off the bat and thus freeing up that faction spot to be the East India Company faction?

That could be really interesting. Any other idea, historical info, ... are welcome.
    Let me think about it and how to implement that in the Realistic Colonial startpos.
    All my downloads need for uncompressing them:

7-Zip 9.10 beta Windows 32-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelxxx View Post
    Adding new factions is not possible without taking away other. The idea is good, but what faction should disappear for that?...
    Perhaps some minor faction nobody even notices....like Genoa? (just add their territory to the "Italian States")

RexImperator's Avatar Biarchus

Or one of the near pointles emergent factions that rarely show up unless the player actively tries to get them to rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by RexImperator View Post
    Or one of the near pointles emergent factions that rarely show up unless the player actively tries to get them to rebel.

I think emergent factions have a different coding that regular ones do, so that might be problematic.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

When it comes to replacing minor factions, the first ones that pop into my head are the Inuit nations (about the most useless faction in the game), Georgia, Dagestan and the Crimean Khanate. Maybe even get rid of those pesky Pirates. Keep the Barbary ones, but the Caribbean / East-Indian trade theatre robbing ones are quite irritating..

Most of those smaller European states are a nice little buffer between Eastern and Western Europe, so they have their purpose in the game. Of some of the ones I mentioned above, I sometimes wonder why they're in the game to start with..

In any case, I think this is a great idea, but.. I don't think there should be a second British protectorate without also giving your competitors a little gift. Ceylon could be made a part of the Dutch East India Company (and maybe some other province elsewhere in the world could be gifted to the Dutch to make up for that loss) and the French East India Company should probably get a province in India as well..

I know that DarthMod adds an Indian province each to Britain and France, but having the individual companies as protectorates might make things a bit more interesting. And if we take the whole idea a little further, the next step would obviously be to have missions issued that can make the territories of the companies join your lands if you complete certain objectives.

But yeah, this is all wishful thinking until we figure out a way to add these new factions into the game. Anyone knowledgeable in this field? I certainly am not..

I'm just a dreamer.. And I dream of this flag waving over India:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

This is a very good idea. I think the Dutch are a little under powered in this game, and the Mugal Empire a little too overpowered. Britain should own Bengal, that would make the game a tad more interesting. Of course, I am all for the protectorate!

Hey guys this idea is great! I'm willing to mod this mod since it don't seem too hard but sadly I can't start mod it right now cause now I'm so busy with the Bourbon Restoration mod (Napoleon).After I have time I'll have a look at this

Thank you all very much for the support, guys. I'm eager to see you working on it SaengsaWang, as my modding skills are exactly 0.

Also, jarnomiedema hits the nail on the head: If any minor faction has to go, it should be the Inuit Nations. Seriously - I always wonder why their troops aren't fur wrapped Eskimos ^^

The Pirates (of the Caribbean lol) should remain though - also because they are a playable faction in the Empire Total war 1.6 patch, but only in custom naval battles. So pulling them out might break the game there.

Also, the Pirates only have their base in the Caribbean - there are no pirates in the Indian theatre, mate.

Prince of Essling's Avatar Napoleonic Enthusiast
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ♔themanwithnoname♔ View Post
    This is a very good idea. I think the Dutch are a little under powered in this game, and the Mugal Empire a little too overpowered. Britain should own Bengal, that would make the game a tad more interesting. Of course, I am all for the protectorate!
    While I very much love the idea of the mod, the Honorable Company was founded by a merger of two companies in 1702 (see page 212 of John Keay's The Honorable Company - A History of the English East india Company). At the start of the 1700s the Company had trading posts/forts in only Bombay, Surat (north of Bombay), (Fort St George) Madras & (Fort William) Calcutta; they did not own large tracts of territory, that came later. The company acquired tax raising rights to 3 villages around Calcutta in 1686 and as they say the rest is history.....

Clearly it would be fantastic if CA gave modders the tools to make their own maps as a campaign in the sub-continent would be so interesting - clash of European powers, the various Indian Nawabs etc.

jarnomiedema's Avatar Artifex ad Infinitum

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arun View Post
    Also, the Pirates only have their base in the Caribbean - there are no pirates in the Indian theatre, mate.
    Actually, check out the East-Indian (or Indonesian) trade theatre if you start a game as the Dutch. If you end your first turn, you're bound to be attacked by a fleet of pirates roaming that theatre. There's pretty much no escaping them..

Under the patronage of his Estonian Eminence Trax

Hey Great news! I'm now working on this.so far I've almost finished the flag.I've done the things about starting position ,diplomacy and there are something left like
    the agent icon. for now no new unit added for company yet they only have the basics like company infantry lancer and the indian guys.
    if any more came up I'll tell you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by SaengsaWang View Post
    Hey Great news! I'm now working on this.so far I've almost finished the flag.I've done the things about starting position ,diplomacy and there are something left like
    the agent icon. for now no new unit added for company yet they only have the basics like company infantry lancer and the indian guys.
    if any more came up I'll tell you guys.

I think that Dutch colonial unit "Sepoys", as well as the British "Company" units and perhaps some Hindu Musketeers would fit in nicely in an East India Company unit roster.

After all, most of the British forces in India were actually Indians, not whites.

Oh and have you added Victory conditions, Saengsawang? I'd say copy paste the Maratha ones - Britain's goal is after all, to conquer India and try grabbing Afghanistan as well

One more thing: I'm thinking about this for the naval/land unit battle flag:

Last edited by Sir Arun; April 09, 2010 at 11:11 AM.

-Bombay Grenadiers
    -Punjab regiment
    -Madras Regiment
    -Rajput Rifles
    -Rajput Foot
    -Jat regiment
    -Gurkha regiment

Quote Originally Posted by RexImperator View Post
    -Bombay Grenadiers
    -Punjab regiment
    -Madras Regiment
    -Rajput Rifles
    -Rajput Foot
    -Jat regiment
    -Gurkha regiment

Those were previously avaliable to only which factions?

The bata one here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...60#post7121660
    I'll continue the work after I've come back from my holidays

*REP* for your mod mate, many thanks!

Some suggestions for the 1.0 release:

1) Why Savoy? I'm thinking Inuit Nations wouldn't have been missed any more and you could always add that territory to France or Britain. In comparison to the Inuit Nations, Savoy is historically quite relevant.

2) The agents still have the savoy icon above their heads....any chance you can simply add the stripes of the EIC instead? (being able to squeeze the Union Jack will be hard)

Enjoy your holidays!

P.S: Is this compatible with the "All factions playable v.2.0" mod?
    Last edited by Sir Arun; April 10, 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Arun View Post
    Those were previously avaliable to only which factions?

They don't exist, but with some light modding they could be added to the EITC for added flavour, plus they're historically accurate.