Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many units to bring to battles.

Default How many units to bring to battles.

I would like to know how many units you usually bring to battles, with all the restrictions and complications of money. Because I think 17 is a not enough for my battles, I always aim for 20 but what do you think is a reasonable amount of units to bring to a fight.

Default Re: How many units to bring to battles.

Quote Originally Posted by xxoverlordxx View Post
    I would like to know how many units you usually bring to battles, with all the restrictions and complications of money. Because I think 17 is a not enough for my battles, I always aim for 20 but what do you think is a reasonable amount of units to bring to a fight.

i always go with quality over quantity and usually have about 750 to 800 troops and usually do fine with that

from my experience the number of total units one fields carries very little weight. I've noticed its more the number of "line regiments" (+gren,+lights) that one fields that makes the greatest impact. I'd say field as many as you can afford, just make sure your buying enough line.

Quote Originally Posted by RTK_Sir Lambert of Lancs View Post
    i always go with quality over quantity and usually have about 750 to 800 troops and usually do fine with that
    In a large funds game? I can see that working in a medium funds game, but in a large... I bring in over 1600 men as Prussia (with only one of those units being militia). Even if all 800 of your men were Old Guard, I just can't see how you could win.

Well, then again, maybe 800 Old Guard could win , luckily you can only recruit 3 regiments of them.

Is it not 4 Old Guard? I play on medium funds mainly so I usually field around 800 men but it depends on my tactics for that game. You really don't need to field 20 units just for the sake of it because you could be wasting money.

Militia-type units are a waste unless you use them cleverly like if you use them to absorb enemy artillery fire to allow your line to approach or even take a volley from the enemy line just before yours arrive so your own line gets to fire first. Use the money for better cavalry/infantry I'd say.

Having said that, fielding 20 units on medium funds with a country like Ottomans can be very effective. Sheer numbers are more effective with lower funds though not always. On large funds I'd highly recommend getting good quality units.
    Last edited by Spor; March 28, 2010 at 11:04 PM.

3 max recruitable Old Guard since the patch/DLC.

I find militia to be excellent at padding out the length of the line or for accompanying skirmishers into combat. For example, if I place one militia in between a Guard unit and a regular line unit, the militia have helped to extend my line substantially and will also hold quite well in a fight (yes they won't kill as efficiently as a regular unit, but that's not the point). Think of the militia as 'mortar' that holds the 'bricks' (the quality line units) together; you won't build your entire house out of mortar, but the mortar is at least strong enough to help keep things together.

When integrated into the skirmish line, the militia can continue to advance into firing range as friendly skirmishers hang back to engage from range (keeping friendly line/guards close enough to their rear so that they can be encouraged/inspired). This is a precarious position that you normally wouldn't want to risk a quality unit in, but with militia you can afford to take that risk. By doing this, you put your opponent into a tricky situation. Like you said, the militia can act as a meatshield for enemy skirmisher fire thus giving your own skirmishers 'free' shots on the enemy. Will your opponent move his own linemen forward to engage the militia? But his linemen would have to advance in front of his own skirmishers in order to engage, thus risking friendly fire and putting them into range of your own skirmishers (not to mention giving you the opportunity to advance your own line forward after he volleys into the militia). Will he just ignore the militia and concentrate on the skirmishers? Feasible, militia don't have great accuracy after all, but in an otherwise even skirmisher fight, militia can tip the balance in your favor.

You can never count on the militia for any sort of independent action, but when integrated into a cohesive fighting formation (where they can be encouraged by the presence of friendly forces on their flanks and inspired by any applicable units) they competently perform the role of filler.

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

prussian landwehr spam with a blucher and a life regiment and a foot guard or two usually works well

Quote Originally Posted by Keiichi View Post
    In a large funds game? I can see that working in a medium funds game, but in a large... I bring in over 1600 men as Prussia (with only one of those units being militia). Even if all 800 of your men were Old Guard, I just can't see how you could win.

Well, then again, maybe 800 Old Guard could win , luckily you can only recruit 3 regiments of them.
    if he had said large fund games then of course i would of said i take more

however i tend to play more medium funds because i enjoy the armies alot more with less selection

Since OP mentioned 20 units, it's sort of implicit he's talking about large funds.

I seem to end up with 18 units in almost all of my builds.
    I don't like militia, mostly because of their inability to form square and their vulnerability to cav in general; this means you can't put them at the flanks of your main line nor use them to defend your artillery properly.
    Tools: PFM 4.1 - EditSF 1.2.0
    (Download PFM - Download EditSF)
    Warscape Modding Guide
    Join the PFM User Group on Steam to receive PackFileManager update notifications.

Respecto Patronum

Soveriegn's Avatar Miles

I would say 17-18 units of your best do nicely. This usually comes out for me to around 1400+ guys on large units, but I see most guys have more than I do. Then again my army is built for offensive attacks, stagnation only means you get chewed up more. If you like being a bit more cautious or want to be able to have more disgression whether to engage your crack regiments or not, try and field more men in general
    Fight for Old Glory!

Bobby the Huntsman's Avatar Civis

I bring between 17-20 units dependinh on which build i use and the rules stated.

blonkers1234's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by TheAussieDigger View Post
    prussian landwehr spam with a Blucher and a life regiment and a foot guard or two usually works well
    It works(though better with GB due to their uber fencibles).
    My Prussian large funds Build of
    1x Blucher
    1x Brandenburg Uhlan
    3x Uhlans
    2x Howitzers
    1x Foot Guard
    5x line
    2x Landwehr
    4x Prussian fusiliers
    1x Jeagar
    hasn't been beaten yet with the foot guard and Blucher making those Landwehr into super soldiers. I also use the Jeagar to plant stakes in front the militia, helping them combat cavalry.

ly0_ly0's Avatar Miles

Enough to kick the bad-guy's a$$

I'm a rep whore so rep me already

Quote Originally Posted by RTK_Sir Lambert of Lancs View Post
    I usually bring 2200 units in large units/med cash game, but hey, thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by blonkers1234 View Post
    It works(though better with GB due to their uber fencibles).
    My Prussian large funds Build of
    1x Blucher
    1x Brandenburg Uhlan
    3x Uhlans
    2x Howitzers
    1x Foot Guard
    5x line
    2x Landwehr
    4x Prussian fusiliers
    1x Jeagar
    hasn't been beaten yet with the foot guard and Blucher making those Landwehr into super soldiers. I also use the Jeagar to plant stakes in front the militia, helping them combat cavalry.

2 units are hardly spam. Does anyone actually use and conistently win with a uber militia based army? For example, what would happen if you switched out a couple of line replaced them with militia, and upgraded the rest to guards or DLC's with all the funds saved. Also jagers to shuetzen.

Just curious.
    Strumf on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Strumf663 View Post
    2 units are hardly spam. Does anyone actually use and conistently win with a uber militia based army? For example, what would happen if you switched out a couple of line replaced them with militia, and upgraded the rest to guards or DLC's with all the funds saved. Also jagers to shuetzen.

Just curious.
    Have tried with GB before and France, and it does work, though with no square for half of your infantry makes it quite vulnerable and all militia should have a guard/line next to them or else they can be destroyed easily by cav.

Yep, i agree. Mass cav would probably be the death of this strat, without enough elites.
    Strumf on Steam

Why bring militia as Prussia, when you can bring 4x foot guards, 4x musketeers with enough money for a 9 star general 4 skirmsihers and 4 cav??

Quote Originally Posted by ccqwert7 View Post
    Why bring militia as Prussia, when you can bring 4x foot guards, 4x musketeers with enough money for a 9 star general 4 skirmsihers and 4 cav??
    Which is why militia builds are more suited to medium cash as its harder to get lots of units.

20 units: 5 light 8 or 10 line rest cav and a general if u want, general is not so important with good build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast