Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Militia Sucks.

Default Why Militia Sucks.

See Attachment

Default Re: Why Militia Sucks.

no comments? 40 men vs 600 militia and they all rout and I one of my last cities, just before France took me over.

If you lose 600 milita to 40 men, you are doing it wrong.

I almost beat a full stack of fusiliers/cavalry with a few milita and armed citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Travisk View Post
    If you lose 600 milita to 40 men, you are doing it wrong.

I almost beat a full stack of fusiliers/cavalry with a few milita and armed citizenry.
    Look at the battle. It started as 600 to 110 or so, I killed 70 losing literally like 5, then they all mass rout and I lose.

lol
    It happened after they killed your general.
    Pretty much they lost all moral and routed. Militia relies almost 100% on morale.

what he said :p

I get it, but 600 vs 40?

It could be 10,000 vs 40
    Numbers do not seem to affect morale as much as a general being killed. For militia.

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Militia are nice chaps, don't mock them despite how pathetic they can be.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

armed citizenry may be mocked tbh, they are a step down from normal militia xD ...

Militia suffer from what are called Morale Shocks. You get one when the general dies. It can be enough to break a militia unit, the sight of which might be enough to break another, and the sight of two routing units, will send a third and you get stuck in a fail cascade.

I've had to use militia a fair bit to defend things and I find the only way to get them to stand is to keep their general out of the action, tell them to hold position, use buildings or anything else you can to strengthen their position and try to keep their flanks covered. They are rubbish but if you keep them in a solid group and just get as much fire down as you can then they'll not embarrass themselves too badly.

I forgot to mention, I won a battle with one militia VS 1 Russian fusiliers and 1 calv

*taps empereur's shoulder* Soon you'll have earned a mickey mouse sticker with your stunning victories

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamw4lk3r View Post
    *taps empereur's shoulder* Soon you'll have earned a mickey mouse sticker with your stunning victories
    Hahahahahahaha!

I actually find them to be decent filler. Nice for the early game were full stacks are too expensive, and decent to keep in your reinforcement stack once you up and going to provide cheap support and quick garrisons.

Then again, they are not to be trusted by themselves.

I agree with what's been said before. Never have only militia as line in an army. Use them to cheaply up the numbers in an army, interspersed with better units so they won't break, keep them close to defending artillery if possible, and for god's sake never let them hold the flank. Doing that they're pretty useful when you're poor, and the garrison bonus is highly necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by zezimasslave View Post
    no comments? 40 men vs 600 militia and they all rout and I one of my last cities, just before France took me over.
    Ironic thing is had you went in with no general you would have won

I have this house rule: every building (not town) on the map must be garrisoned by at least 1 militia. When the British invade, all the militia in the region concentrates in the region capital with a fort, which the British will attack. Sometimes I still lose the fort, but usually able to get a 1:1 loss ratio. Against British infantry, that is not so bad

Whats up with those fencibles, they hurt more than Russian regulars lol

Shame you can't seem to recruit more national guard as they are marginally better than French militia - and should be as many units were turned into regular line infantry battalions and served creditably in 1813-14.

And fencibles technically weren't militia - they were full-time regular soldiers raised during the French invasion scare of 1803-5 whose contracts stated that they only had to serve within the United Kingdom - and they included the whole range of unit types and not just infantry.

The British also had militia proper (and the mounted yeomanry) who were part-time amateurs and only good for slaughtering demonstrating workers or the Irish peasantry - the one time any had to face French regulars they ran away so fast that the battle was known as the Castlebar Races.
    Last edited by Clodius; April 09, 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Bobby the Huntsman's Avatar Civis

why do people even take miltia, with the extra 400 you could upgrade cav or even buy a guard unit if u had enough spare cash

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

Getting your general killed while 600 men could guard him against 110 is pretty sloppy, too. And if only as bullet targets, 600 men should be able to get in the way when one of the few enemy units is moving towards him. Or the general could get behind his men, he rides a horse after all. ^^
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast