Thread: Ottoman Tips

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Default Ottoman Tips

Napoleon is still installing and I am looking forward to starting an Ottoman campaign! (I will install an unlock factions mod).

So does anyone have any campaign and battle tips for the Ottomans? Like what my army composition should be like, what techs i should work for, who to ally with etc.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Ottoman Tips

I haven't played as the Ottomans yet, although it would probably be wise to keep friendly with the French considering you are going to deal with the Austrians and Russians fairly early on.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

surrender

ztn3's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by eregost View Post
    Napoleon is still installing and I am looking forward to starting an Ottoman campaign! (I will install an unlock factions mod).

So does anyone have any campaign and battle tips for the Ottomans? Like what my army composition should be like, what techs i should work for, who to ally with etc.
    Ottomans are my favourite faction too, I am looking forward to try them as well.

As long as only partial map of Europe (compared to Europe-theatre in ETW) is presented in NTW (only south of Scandinavia, no Iceland, no south Africa or Middle East), you only have 5 regions (the european part).

Beylik musketeers are a bit better than minor factions line-inf and Nizam-inf are slightly better than most of regular line-inf of the Great Powers - except GB, of course. Nizam light-inf and rifles are cloned European light inf and jagers (according to stats). The same thing can be said about grenadiers.

While there are no special guard infantry units, Ottomans have excellent cavalry roster: Sipahis and Silahtar Guards have excellent stats - they are lancers so they have amazing charge bonus while the rest of the stats can be compared to prussian dragoons (Sipahi) and cuirassiers (Silahtar). They also have Mounted Nizam troop - with ability of mounted or dismounted fire and better marskmanship than russian Mounted jagers, these guys can be very useful for harassing enemy flanks and artillery...

And, as usually, they have one of the best artillery in the game. They possess the heaviest pieces - 18-pounders and Bombard Mortars. 9-pounders and howitzers are comparable to European ones. The only thing is they do not have horse artillery (neither Austrians do btw)...

According to a geographical position - they have many trade nodes at hand in Mediterranean - which means they should easily become filthy rich. Their main region has two intelectual centres so they should have a good research possibilities too...

To summon up, the conditions are more than satisfactory, you only have to build up your infrastructure to get better military units and not to get involved to a war against Austrians or Russians too soon (these two will be your main opponents - Napoleon on the other hand seems to be your natural ally, as well as Prussians btw). Once you have your excellent cavalry, outstanding artillery and decent infantry in field, you can be hardly stopped (hail to no ammo limit for artillery - hidden ottoman weapon? :-)
    Last edited by ztn3; March 27, 2010 at 02:41 PM.

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Starting provinces:

Istanbul, Rumelia
    Iasi, Moldavia and Bessarabia
    Bucharest, Wallachia
    Athens, Greece
    Belgrade, Balkans

What I would suggest doing first is focusing on trade and infrastructure. Make sure to build roads, as your empire is quite a large one compared to other nations. You also have two educational institutions in Edirne and Sofia (same province: Rumelia), and plenty of near-by trade nodes you can secure easily, which should facilitate trade and research.

Also, the likeliness of war with Russia, Austria or both is quite high, so I would suggest maintaining warm relations with the French or whoever is opposing those two. One on one (or two on one), you'll be at a huge disadvantage at the beginning of the game, so you need allies.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

I had to use the Missing unit mod to add trade ships and some other heavier ships to my Ottoman empire. I found it quite boring at first, basically just waiting for things to build and upgrade while making sure my relationships were sound. I have set my own personal record for income per turn playing as them though. Quite a bit of fun indeed.
    "What a place to plunder!" Gebhard Lebrecht Von Blücher on viewing London from St. Paul's after the peace banquet at Oxford

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Aye I also used the missing unit mod. What I like about the Ottomans is that they are the underdogs, bordering 2 powerful hostile nations, and being unique in their army composition and culture compared to the european factions.
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

Playing them sure made me wish for some religious buildings or agents to help calm the subjegated populations though.
    "What a place to plunder!" Gebhard Lebrecht Von Blücher on viewing London from St. Paul's after the peace banquet at Oxford

Indeed, the Ottomans are quite hard in expansion. Milita garrisons are a must.