Thread: Better lancers- Animations and weapons

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Default Better lancers- Animations and weapons

The lancer animations, standing idle and walking, look ridiculous, and their weapons are too short. Would it be possible to borrow animations from another unit to make them hold weapons upright, and give them longer lances? Maybe look more like this?

Default Re: Better lancers- Animations and weapons

no, you can't edit animations, nor can you piece them together.

the lancers are botched. it's the same animation from etw, that's why they have inaccurate double sided lances, so the can do the stab stab at close range just like before.
    Always trying harder to help you make an informed decision.

We have to ask CA to change animation, it would not be a big work for them, changing lances too.

Let's dream...

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

If you extract a good animation from another unit, then go to the animations folder in Data.pack and press replace on a rubbish one, you should be able to make the lancers look better

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Right I think I've worked this out

If we were to go to the warscape equipment file, change lance for pike, then overwrite the idle and run animations with those of sword cavalry (the ones they use whith their swords drawn) we should be able to make the lancers look a little more sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimaMea View Post
    Right I think I've worked this out

If we were to go to the warscape equipment file, change lance for pike, then overwrite the idle and run animations with those of sword cavalry (the ones they use whith their swords drawn) we should be able to make the lancers look a little more sensible.
    do you think that's possible?

What I need to do is to give lances to some infantry. I would like them to use their lances as they would do with their bayonett + rifle (same animation). Is it possible? If you have an idea, please explain very precisely what to do in order I could apply it.
    thanks

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

Should be provided I can find the Warscape file... I'm guessing it's a text file with lists of equipment, so all's thats needed is to change lance to pike

Otherwise in Empire it was easy enough to change sabres to broadswords, so lances to pikes should work the same. In terms of animation, just overwriting the Lancer animations with sword cavalry ones should improve their general posture

I tried this in ETW witha Bardiche, it didnt go well, although I used the Lancer anims...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

one thing i noticed in the lancer animation text could be a typo

animation_table rider_lance
    {
    skeleton_type man

fragment man_common_fragment
    fragment musket_death_fragment
    fragment climb_fragment
    fragment musket_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon

fragment horse_rider_base_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    // fragment sabre_horse_rider_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient
    fragment lancer_horse_rider_fragment default_equipment_display = primary_weapon, ambient

mount_table mount_horse
    }
    Notice the //

This is unique amongst all the animations an looks like a typo or a marker put in by a dev to remind them to check something.

In experiments Ive editted lancer animation to try to get lances working for dismounted troopers and from memory removing the '//' seemed to help the overall animation of the lancers.

Quote Originally Posted by panzerschreck View Post
    What I need to do is to give lances to some infantry. I would like them to use their lances as they would do with their bayonett + rifle (same animation). Is it possible? If you have an idea, please explain very precisely what to do in order I could apply it.
    thanks
    Try custom spear Panzer this worked fine in ETW and its how i made custom pikemen who actually fought with pointy sticks.

Tables involved, in ETW were unit stats land, and warscape equipment themes in NTW there may be an extra step involving model variants.

Since ETW no longer lives on my PC. So without doing it all again i cant be more precise than that im afraid.
    Last edited by Dogmeat; May 09, 2010 at 10:41 AM.

I tried adding in the euro_half_pike entry onto warscape equipment themes, but I don't think there is an assigned texture, because the infantry are holding invisible weapons. If anyone has any luck then rep to them!

AnimaMea's Avatar Miles

I had a quick go at the animations- Got them all to use a better posture (like the pic in the 1st post) but their lances wouldn't attach properly and floated around at the base