Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about the moding of Napoleon's units

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Questions about the moding of Napoleon's units

I'm back!
    I looked through this threads and i have this questions:

Do i understand right that we are able to edit the skins? But now one file contains the skins of many unit's in instead of the old solution (one file - one unit's skin)...!?

- If i color the diffuse file is it good solution?

- Are we abble to edit the models of the NTW?

Thanks mates, daNova

Default Re: Questions about the moding of Napoleon's units

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    I'm back!
    I looked through this threads and i have this questions:

Do i understand right that we are able to edit the skins? But now one file contains the skins of many unit's in instead of the old solution (one file - one unit's skin)...!?

- Are we abble to edit the models of the NTW?

Thanks mates, daNova
    Glad you're back! We can edit the skins. The next PFM is being beta tested now, but it will make editing units even easier. Atm, we can't edit the models. However, we can import ETW units, so you could make an ETW model and import it into NTW. I'll take a look at the model issue next.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=344105

Thanks your answer!
    i think this new system reason is the (famous) unit editor by CA.
    ... but i not happy for this. I fear they make like a white explorer with the native. They give same shiny-colored marble (glass balls) to the silly natives. It is good, but if we need a new elements (new hat or new type leg), this system fall, and we are unaible to do that.

btw, if i make a new model and skin for the Empire we aible to convert in the Napoleon?

That would be good, so we can create and import ETW models into NTW. That means someone could make a eagle bearer for France, with the eagle, flag, pole, and the person all in one unit, and import it into NTW.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

do you show me what you need? Just a eagle bearerwith the eagle,(flag) pole...
    (i'm dont promise anything, i'm just currious! )

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    That would be good, so we can create and import ETW models into NTW. That means someone could make a eagle bearer for France, with the eagle, flag, pole, and the person all in one unit, and import it into NTW.

I reckon colouring the diffuse is better as the colour masks are not entirely accurate and leave white lines around joints and details. I suppose you could just try and make the colour masks more accuarate?

With this new system there is still more flexibility when colouring the diffuse (opacity etc) , it's just a pain because so many units share parts, so until it becomes simpler to add new textures for each unit this method has a few flaws (and painful, tedious solutions).

Look forward to seeing your skins for NTW

subscribing

@danova, yes, I mean someone could create a model in ETW, with a french stand bearer guy, and him holding the pole, with the eagle ontop and the flag on it! And then import it to NTW.

So I would like to know exactly how do we retexture units.

Can we just open the unit's colour mask.dds and black it all out (how do we black it out, just paint it black) and then paint the diffuse whatever we want! Then put them in a mod pack file. Is it that simple, or is there more?
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

So I would like to know exactly how do we retexture units.

Can we just open the unit's colour mask.dds and black it all out (how do we black it out, just paint it black) and then paint the diffuse whatever we want! Then put them in a mod pack file. Is it that simple, or is there more?
    Yes, just paint it black and no colour will be shown. Then colour the diffuse as you wish and pack the files in the same directories they were originally in - it's that simple

If we do it that way, can we just put it into a new .pack file? Or does it have to go back into the varient models pack? (Which would be pointless if you want to publish the mod, since varientmodels.pack is like 2.5gb)

In a new pack, the same as the ones you have from me

Lord Mongsworth!
    Thanks your usefull info! I'm beginer in the Napoleon's moding...
    (I havent made any units yet for Napoleon, and dont unpacked the files.)

@danova, yes, I mean someone could create a model in ETW, with a french stand bearer guy, and him holding the pole, with the eagle ontop and the flag on it! And then import it to NTW.
    aham ...
    Would you like to one new unit - france flag bearer man, and one new flag pole with french imp. eagle?

Yes , that would be excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That would be wonderful!

The only thing is that I would need some help installing it, unless its already in a pack file!

Anyway, I would only accept it if you are willing to do it! I do not want to impose anything.

Like this? - (but the flag pole was longer)
    Last edited by Invictus XII; March 30, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

aham ...
    Would you like to one new unit - france flag bearer man, and one new flag pole with french imp. eagle?

You should release something like that as a standalone mod, it would be great
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

It is not a big deal.
    A unit is needed which can be done from the existing ones. The ribbon that holds the flag is a bigger problem. I can make the model and skin but I don't know how to attach to the skeleton. (I can get the help of Empire to
    make it and that convert to the Napoleon). I can also make the eagle of the empire. It is a model and skin work.

Now comes the hard part. How will the eagle on the flag attach to the flag of the Napoleon? It is a difficult programmer task I think. I can make the flag also but I don't know how to put into Napoleon.

The point is: I can do the model and skin works but I'm not a programer. I have always had help to put things into the game.

Quote Originally Posted by -TopCat- View Post
    You should release something like that as a standalone mod, it would be great
    I'm going to be selfish here, and say "MINE, MINE, MINE, MINE!!!"

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

@Danova

Glad to see you delving in here with NTW!

Just to let danova know, that I have found a way to just replace the flagpole in NTW, so which means all we need is:
    -The eagle pole and eagle model
    -The diffuse.dds
    -The normal.dds
    -the glos.dds

ANd then i can replace the pole that the french use, with the one created by danova! I think!

Zaitochisan's Avatar Civis

Davona I am in the process of trying to create a new standardbearer for OldGuard units based on a Sappeur, I will try to get your models etc in game if you wish to let me have a go.
    I was hoping someone would!
    I will PM you with some other models I need for other units.
    One of my big bugbears with the way CA have done things is that they have tried to over simplify, hakos have texture split for mesh down the front middle for pete's sake so no custom shako plates that aren't symmetical.
    One arm textures covers both arms in game .... no single armbands grrrr...
    really their methods are a dog'd dinner!!!
    This is an old image and still much to do, I have them in marching blues too:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast