Thread: The Guide to Installing RS 1.6 with Steam.

Default The Guide to Installing RS 1.6 with Steam.

Hello I've noticed lately that a lot of people have trouble with installing Roma Surrectum to Steam. Well to fix these problems I will give you the steps to install to Steam without having to look through 5 different threads.

Install for Rome Total War: Gold. [The one that includes Rome Total War and Barbarian Invasion.]
    First off you have to install to the STEAM directory. This in this is usually:
    C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold
    You don't have to install to the BI folder.
    Now to play with the Regular Rome.Exe [I do not recommend this] all you have to do is go through Steam launcher and launch Rome Total War.

To play with the BI.exe [Better AI and some other special abilities] Open Steam, Goto My Games, Right Click on Rome Total War Gold select Properties then click on Set Launch Options. Then in the box put
    RomeTW-BI.exe -mod: -nm -show_err
    This will allow you to play with the Superior BI.exe AI [Trust me it makes the game a lot more fun]
    When you play with the BI.exe remember to select to Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion instead of regular Rome Total War.

Rome Total War: Alexander.
    NOTE: With Steam you must have RTW:Gold to buy Alexander
    Now with Alexander its bit different. If you want to use RS with Alexander completely Ignore the Above Post. Steam sees it as a Standalone so its in a separate folder than Rome Total War: Gold.
    [Thanks to aurelius_tl for finding this better way]
    The directory to install to is going to be:
    C:\Program Files\steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander
    Then go to the My Games tab of your Steam account. Right-click on Rome: Total War - Alexander and Select Properties. Next, select Launch Options and enter / paste this:
    -mod: -nm -show_err -noalexander
    Optional) You may delete the "Alexander" mod folder. This is located at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander\alexander.

Addendum: I wanted to note that I always launch through Steam and do not use shortcuts. I find it easier than using shortcuts plus i do not like having icons on my desk top. However if you want shortcuts Here they are

Rome.exe shortcut

1. Go to my games in steam and right click on Rome Total War Gold. Select create shortcut
    2. Right click on the created shortcut and add -nm -show_err to the target line
    ex: Mine looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4760 -nm -show_err
    Yours should look similar.
    That is it. It will work for the Rome.exe only however. I will try to get a working BI.exe shortcut.

Alex.exe Shortcut
    1. Go to my games in steam and right click on Rome Total War Alexander. Select create shortcut
    2. Right click on the created shortcut and add -nm -show_err to the target line
    ex: Mine looks like this:"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 4770 -nm -show_err -noalexander
    Again yours should look similar.

Note: I recommend changing the shortcut icon since Steam like to make it's shortcuts look like white squares.
    Last edited by Squid; March 30, 2010 at 09:23 AM.

Proud Republican

Default Re: The Guide to Installing RS 1.6 with Steam.

This is very helpful, thank you!

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Is it ok if I add this to the MAIN-INSTALLER DOWNLOAD & UPGRADES thread?
    Very helpful and informative.+rep
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Quote Originally Posted by apple View Post
    Is it ok if I add this to the MAIN-INSTALLER DOWNLOAD & UPGRADES thread?
    Very helpful and informative.+rep
    go ahead. that why i made it

Proud Republican

Thanks. Added.
    Son of Legio
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Yeah getting a mod to work with steam a tad bit more complicated than disks but RTW was only $2 on steam when I got it compared to $20 at Best Buy. Plus you don't have to keep up with any disks.

Proud Republican

Hello,

Thank you for the guide. I was on the fence about buying Alexander on Steam, but you gave me motivation to try this out. After testing out your instructions above, I found out these steps worked the best for me (after some trial and error) on Win XP:

1) Install only Rome: Total War - Alexander. You do not need to install Rome: Total War - Gold Edition because as stated above, Steam installs Alexander in its own folder.

2) Install RS to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander.

3) Then go to the My Games tab of your Steam account. Right-click on Rome: Total War - Alexander and Select Properties. Next, select Launch Options and enter / paste this:

-mod: -nm -show_err

-- You do not need to enter "RomeTW-ALX.exe" first. I tested this entry with and without the "exe" and RS still loaded fine.

4) (Optional) You may delete the "Alexander" mod folder. This is located at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander\alexander.

-- In my tests, this mod folder isn't needed to load RS. If you would like to save some hard drive space then it's an option.

I tested RS by starting a new campaign and went through a few turns. The battles loaded fine and I did not CTD in any case. I'm hoping these additional instructions will finally clear up the questions regarding how to play RS with the Steam version of Alexander.
    Last edited by Aurelius_TL; March 27, 2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: grammar corrections

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius_TL View Post
    Hello,

Thank you for the guide. I was on the fence about buying Alexander on Steam, but you gave me motivation to try this out. After testing out your instructions above, I found out these steps worked the best for me (after some trial and error) on Win XP:

1) Install only Rome: Total War - Alexander. You do not need to install Rome: Total War - Gold Edition because as stated above, Steam installs Alexander in its own folder.

2) Install RS to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander.

3) Then go to the My Games tab of your Steam account. Right-click on Rome: Total War - Alexander and Select Properties. Next, select Launch Options and enter / paste this:

-mod: -nm -show_err

-- You do not need to enter "RomeTW-ALX.exe" first. I tested this entry with and without the "exe" and RS still loaded fine.

4) (Optional) You may delete the "Alexander" mod folder. This is located at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander\alexander.

-- In my tests, this mod folder isn't needed to load RS. If you would like to save some hard drive space then it's an option.

I tested RS by starting a new campaign and went through a few turns. The battles loaded fine and I did not CTD in any case. I'm hoping these additional instructions will finally clear up the questions regarding how to play RS with the Steam version of Alexander.
    Yeah I tried that once and It CTD on start up. Let me fiddle with it.

I have no idea why but it works now. So yeah I'll edit the post to relect that. Thanks. +rep
    Last edited by Phillieas_Caesar; March 27, 2010 at 05:49 PM.

Proud Republican

No problem man. Thanks for getting me started. I was trying to find a way using your base guide to do a clean and simple installation. I'm hoping the RS2 installation will be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius_TL View Post
    No problem man. Thanks for getting me started. I was trying to find a way using your base guide to do a clean and simple installation. I'm hoping the RS2 installation will be similar.
    Me too.

Proud Republican

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Fixed a type and added a missing command line argument for the alex shortcut. I'm not sure what it does just that it should be there.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Timefool's Avatar Primicerius

Is this for if you own a hard copy and want to launch it through Steam, because there is an easier way. Just add the .exe in the program files\activision\Rome Total War folder to your Steam Games list, and then right click on it in your Steam games, then properties. Copy the target location that normally launches Roma Surrectum on your desktop and paste it into the target location in the Steam launcher properties window you have opened. That will allow you to launch Roma Surrectum through Steam if you did not buy your copy of Rome on Steam.

This is for folks with the Steam version of RTW, BI and/or Alexander who need guidance on how to load RS.

Phillieas_Caesar

Hi, i followed your instructions exactly im pretty sure, i installed the RS2 mod into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war alexander.
    Then i went into steam and changed the Launch options of Alexander to -mod: -nm -show_err but everytime launch the game through steam it says that the game stopped working, please please help im eagre to play :d
    Last edited by wezmaster; June 12, 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: .

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

These instructions are not for RS2.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

hi ive followed this download loads of times and tried different ways but when i go to play the game, an window comes up saying 'missing shortcut' and wont load the game :S .... i have r:tw gold on steam. really want the roma mod. please can you help ?

can you do a guide for this but for 2.5

the guide for RS 2 is in RS 2's download thread.
    Son of Legio