View Poll Results: Should Katsumoto become a Citizen?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 91.67%
  • No

1 8.33%
  • Abstain

0 0%

Thread: [PASSED][Citizen] Katsumoto (Patron: abbews)4/2/2010

Default [PASSED][Citizen] Katsumoto (Patron: abbews)4/2/2010

Katsumoto
    abbews

abbews Dear CdeC members!

I wish to propose Katsumoto today for Citizenship. Katsumoto is a contributing member to many parts of the site,
    but it is his writing skills that impress me the most. His way of writing makes my imagination go wild, something that only very talented authours
    succeed to do. He is contributing alot to the site in terms of writing, through his exciting stories or his articles for the Helios.
    Katsumoto has listed his contributions below, wich I hope you will find worthy enough for citizenship.

Dear regards, abbews.

Katsumoto
    Greetings, honourable members of the CdeC. I have come before you today at the advice of the great Abbews, who believes me worthy of joining the ranks of the Curia. I will present to you my contributions and the reasons as to why I should be considered for the rank of Citizen.

I have been active on TWC for over a year now, and I can probably say that I have learnt more from TWC in these past 12 months than I have learnt during the course of a 10 year education. The various debating forums have taught me so much – from politics and history to philosophy and religion. I have grown and developed as a person also - my thoughts and opinions on the world and our existence have drastically changed since I joined TWC. It is truly a remarkable forum, and I continue to learn new things every day.

I often frequent the Debating sections of the site. I admit my debating skills are probably not as good as many other members, but I do often participate in discussions:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...67#post6828667

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...84#post6816384

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...83#post6740583

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...85#post6731785

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...07#post6606007

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...64#post6597964

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6881282#post6881282

I have a tendency become slightly aggressive in certain discussions – tensions run high, insults are thrown, notes are given. I have learnt from these mistakes and have matured, keeping my cool in heated debates. Again, with a little discipline, TWC has shown to be a most valuable teacher.

My main contribution to the site though has been creative writing. I am very passionate about telling tales, and also very self critical when it comes to them – I try and make them as perfect as I can. I was never a big writer before I came to TWC, only having written stories for school assignments, but I’ve also had an interest in reading fiction and especially historical fiction (The ‘Troy’ series by David Gemmel is probably my favourite). When I saw Monarchist ask for the creation of a forum dedicated to historical fiction, I was obviously very interested. TWC has proven a great outlet for my creativity and I have written several pieces for the H.F. forum, three of which have been added to the Scriptorium:

The Way of the Warrior (Added to Script)
    The Gates of Hell (Added to Script)
    Hiroshima (Added to Script)

I am also in the process of writing a fourth, which will span roughly 15-25 chapters, which may sound slightly ambitious but I am quite determined to tell this story of a samurai cavalry man as he travels with his unit on a dangerous campaign:
    The Red Riders

I am also a writer for the Helios (which I enjoy immensely), and have written several articles for it:

The Few, The Proud, The Marines

The Way of the Empty Hand

Buttgate

I have begun writing in the Tale of the Week forum too, and have submitted several tales so far:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...66#post6824566

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...35#post6883135

I am also an avid Photoshop user, and active in the Graphics Workshop where I regularly submit art I have done to my workshop. As you can tell, my skills are nothing when compared to other great artists (such as my Patron Abbews) but I am still learning and currently taking part in the aforementioned Abbews’ Photoshop Basics class.

I also help members with any graphics needs they may have – I was quite active in ‘Santa-fying’ members’ avatars during the Holiday season, even if it was a simple task.
    Finally, I am in the process of recording some voice-overs for the Call of Warhammer mod. Not having done anything like this before, getting the voice of a dark elf right is proving slightly difficult. I would provide examples, but I don’t think I’m allowed just yet.

To sum up, I have loved being part of this great forum. I repeat myself, but the knowledge I have gained from visiting this forum is immense. TWC has given me so much; I believe it is time for me to give something back, and as a Citizen, I think I will be able to do that. Thank you.

Regards, Katsumoto.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: [Citizen] Katsumoto (Patron: abbews)

YES

Søren's Avatar ܁
    Patrician Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Not an especially good writing style (particularly the fiction), but looks like he's trying hard, at least.

I think Katsu will make a good Citizen, and he's a mature and good member. I like his debating too. Going to vote yes on this one.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Yes I have noticed him a few times and almost approached him about citizenship a while back. At that time I didn't think he had done enough. Will look over his contribtions a little closer but I think he will be a yes this time.

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I am not sure on this member, he seems to be doing well in the debates but something is still missing for me to really be in favour of his style. His writing style isn't especially good as soren already mentioned but we don't need to be the next roald dahl now do we. I would have liked to see a bit more of his contributions to the Helios though, as for his ToTW / Workshop contributions i don't really see them as something decisive in a presentation.

He is definitely on the right track in becoming a citizen, he has the right attitude and maturity to bring honour to the rank of citizen.

Whit these mixed feelings i will probably voting Yes or Abstain. I will be investigating this case a bit more before pronouncing my final vote.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

this could be sig worthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    we don't need to be the next roald dahl now do we
    I will vote yes based upon his HF efforts.

The other stuff adds, but is clearly not enough without the HF. I do like anybody who helps out in the Graphics area though. What may seem to be a small feat is always appreciated by those of us who cannot do it on our own.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

I dunno, I guess if you're going to contribute by writing, then the writing should be good, afterall, if you can't debate well, you're not going to get promoted for being a debater, are you?

Civitate

What's really the difference between this and the other application? I'm curious... it seems they both have the same amount of contribution... but one is failing, and the other is winning? Oh well, I voted yes on this. A good solid guy.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

It seems like all of his Helios links go to 'Buttgate'. Or is it just my subconscious trying to tell me something...? If others are having this problem, here's the corrected links:

The Few, the Proud, the Marines
    The Way of the Empty Hand

I didn't link to Buttgate because I assume you've all read it three times by now.

I'm in agreement with Hesus on this one, and Rome also has a point that the recent applications are not dissimilar. Katsumoto is someone I see as being just on the cusp.

On the one hand, I have high standards for Helios editorials because of the work Aden has done there. On the other hand, I think there's an element of honesty in Katsumoto's writing that makes it fall not far shy of that bar. Perhaps more importantly he has shown breadth of focus over a period of only three articles, covering something relevant to TWC, something relevant to his personal experience, and something relevant to the world stage. That's the type of content I could see myself reading regularly, and just in general I'm glad to see the new approach the Helios has taken.

His debate posts are of average expected quality, in respect to my standards for debate at least, if perhaps above average in respect to forum debaters in general. The TotW contributions are fairly supplementary. I do think the Historical Fiction writing is quite good, and hopefully he will continue writing his newest story which seems to not have been updated for a little while. I think it's a case where, if we do vote No now, assuming he continues with the Helios, HF, and occasional debate, he'd certainly be there in two months time.

Having said that, I think it's the composition of his current contributions, their uniqueness and their honesty, which will persuade me to vote Yes a bit preemptively.

Solid yes for his contribution, while a bit concerned when looking at his “insulting others” notes.
    Voted yes
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Яome kb8 View Post
    What's really the difference between this and the other application? I'm curious... it seems they both have the same amount of contribution... but one is failing, and the other is winning? Oh well, I voted yes on this. A good solid guy.
    Perhaps it is this member's choice to focus contributions. The series of submissions to HF may be the difference. It is an area that has just started up and his efforts there are thus more visible.

Also remember that there can be a fine line between 'now acceptable' and 'not quite there yet'. This can mean the difference between a 10 - 2 tally vs. 2 - 10 tally.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

I've voted yes as well. His contributions are solid.
    Curious Curialist curing the Curia of all things Curial.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

I feel moderately confident that this person will be able to contribute in the Curia as he has in TWC so far.

A yes by me, methinks.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

PASSED
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius