Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army of Militia

kaasbris's Avatar Civis

Default Army of Militia

I don't know why but I like to use militia for bulk of my army along with some line infantry.
    They have same men as line but half upkeep, good at police duty.

Their main weakness lies in very low skills of reloading, usually around 10 only.
    On the field, I usually mix them with line, and deploy them to most casualties-expected zone but not quite important (e.g. cannon fodder): I find they are very useful for that job.

When money is not a problem, militia is not an option, of course. But such cases is not fun for me, thus I always trying to make game hard by setting some house rules.

Militia-lovers, please share your thoughts and experiences with them!

Default Re: Army of Militia

I never use them, they are really bad.

I don't see any use, other than amassing three or four armies of them and distracting a enemy army trying to attack you.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Yeah I rather cut my army by 50% and have good units ... rather then a full stack of mostly useless units. I do use militia but mostly as garrison troops in my harbors close to England.

Primicerius

In one MP campaign, my partner was being attacked by almost 2 stacks of Swedish militia (nothing else). Since my partner had almost a full stack of what appeared to be a balanced French stack (line, cavalry artillery, light), I withrew the AI's troops from the battle, thinking I was dong the AI a favor. The third time the AI tried to pull of the same attack, I said enough's enough and actually led the militia into the attack. The two stacks (of militia) did the trick. The french were obliterated. Yes, the first stack got routed/killed almost entirely. But the reinforcements from the second stack carried the day.

So, don't discount militia.

I had to fight off three Spanish attacks on Gibraltar using mostly militia and citizens. The last attack I did have some line infantry and a horse but I pounded them all three times then took them out raiding Spanish towns.

It is funny seeing Militia with three and four stripes.

I endured that militia defeat described by Slaists above and thought I fought decently. Needless to say, my pride was damaged. What was worse was that I gave Sweden Aquitaine to join war against Russians, as my strategy was to give him as many enemies as possible while reducing mine. I got down to three enemies for France and like 12 for Russia but ultimately the Swedes turned on me and combined with a double stack invasion by GB on the north coast, appears to have led to my demise. I have a scintilla of hope though as the Prussians, who I turned on him on turn one, finally began to attack and maybe they will kill Russia first before France perishes.
    Last edited by Grislok; March 26, 2010 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grislok View Post
    I endured that militia defeat described by Slaists above and thought I fought decently. Needless to say, my pride was damaged. What was worse was that I gave Sweden Aquitaine to join war against Russians, as my strategy was to give him as many enemies as possible while reducing mine. I got down to three enemies for France and like 12 for Russia but ultimately the Swedes turned on me and combined with a double stack invasion by GB on the north coast, appears to have led to my demise. I have a scintilla of hope though as the Prussians, who I turned on him on turn one, finally began to attack and maybe they will kill Russia first before France perishes.
    Ah! What a tangled web we weave... and all that.

Sounds like a blast...or not!

kaasbris's Avatar Civis

as my strategy was to give him as many enemies as possible while reducing mine.
    Wow that's interesting strategy.

Well, militia seems least favorite unit, I guess, since no one using it.
    But still, their upkeep is half of line infantry. Don't you guys think 2 militia is better than 1 line infantry?

Quote Originally Posted by kaasbris View Post
    Wow that's interesting strategy.

Well, militia seems least favorite unit, I guess, since no one using it.
    But still, their upkeep is half of line infantry. Don't you guys think 2 militia is better than 1 line infantry?
    I a one on two battle they should come out on top. If handled well they do fine. Just don’t let them get flanked.

But a few of them can make a darn good column.

He is a much superior general than me, so to crush him with French armies is really not a solid option for me. If I could have just got GB to make peace with me and attack him it would have been my campaign. I got Austria to do it but it only lasted for two turns before they changed their minds.

Primicerius

He is a much superior general than me, so to crush him with French armies is really not a solid option for me. If I could have just got GB to make peace with me and attack him it would have been my campaign. I got Austria to do it but it only lasted for two turns before they changed their minds.
    It's the British line (that you were facing in France) that's superior, not my generalship. A few days ago I had a few battles where I dropped in as Russia attacking the host playing as Brits. My line lost about 40-50% until they were able to close in for melee (and, no, the Russian armies I could use had no unicorns; barely any artillery at all). Once the melee started, it usually took just a few seconds for the whole Russian army to start fleeing. So, without unicorns, Russian line stands no chance against the Brits...

Their main weakness lies in very low skills of reloading, usually around 10 only.

Woah woah, what about their horrible morale? to get a chainrout vs militia is all too easy.
    (or is my intell so out-of-date that line has the same morale as milita these days?!)

Yes, militia is good as cannon fodder or where quality isn't good, quantity will do... but I usually don't have trouble with money - or with recruiting much line inf (maybe early as GB ) -

To dispel the myth that Slaists generalship is not superior to mine I will share my most shameful MP story, this one from ETW. 14 turns he defeated me as Austria while he played Ottomans. There, I told the world! Do you not agree this is shame-bringing?

kaasbris's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamw4lk3r View Post
    Woah woah, what about their horrible morale? to get a chainrout vs militia is all too easy.
    That's where general is supposed to do his job. Regulars can stand on his own, while militias aren't.

I checked Fusil unit guide and found out that English militia got 25 reload skill! When experienced, they will get as good as Russian line infantry (on half price).

i think militia works for starting battle, you hit the enemy with them to soft the enemy

That's where general is supposed to do his job. Regulars can stand on his own, while militias aren't.

I checked Fusil unit guide and found out that English militia got 25 reload skill! When experienced, they will get as good as Russian line infantry (on half price).

In a militia army, one general can hardly cover all, and vs a human player you'll be putting your general in serious danger (not that he's entirely safe in a standard army in N:tw)

Truly I can see the point of a bulk cheap-ass army doing better than you expect of the rabble, but it can't compare to a real one... vs the AI it might work if you have 2 men for each of his or something...and yes if you choose any militia it'd have to be national guard from france or gb's militia

"To place any dependence on the Militia, is, assuredly, resting upon a broken staff." G. Washington o.O

But not to discredit them, any unit is good if you position them right. I've had militia units with 1 stripe and a star. Good option to turn to at the beginning of the campaign when you're short on money and need a couple armies.

They are nice as a rear guard as well or a quick army in case someone crosses a ill prepared border or you're fighting a losing war.

Taking some with your army allows you to leave them in settlements for police actions while keeping the army moving forward as well. This helps if you need to blitz.

If you're the kinda person that values positioning and maneuvers then you can cause some very cost effective damage with militia.
    Last edited by Lord Nova; March 27, 2010 at 11:26 PM.
    Lethal Mod - Creator
    Steam Name: Joe Novax

I tend to have two units of opolchenie in my russian stacks just because they look sooo cool XD love their beard

Only as Russia do I use them as comabt trooops, 2 stacks of uhm lead the charge at the enemy line, most die, maybe some survive, who cares, as long as the KD isnt worse than 1000:1 it was worth it there ionly militia...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast