Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REALISM MP MAP PACK

Default REALISM MP MAP PACK

My pack is not currently available because it will be included in NTW3 mod coming next by Lordz Community.
    It will also include the detailed Marengo and Auerstadt maps made by me and Lord The Fenix and the new pack made by Lord Fullin.

Version 1_5 is out. See spoiler for news.
    Sorry for delay but I was working hard on my historical battle of Waterloo which is coming with a great breaktrough letting people to manage larger armies than the usual 20 slots. Stay tuned. Hope to have it realized for this week.

I had a request by NWG group for this map pack to be included in their mod.
    I compiled a new pack, version 1.5, with the revised battle of Ligny and Lodi. The bug in twin_hills has been corrected adding a new map called Woods and Hills and removing the bug one.

Now it comes with the pack file set to mod and an english/italian (two version) localized file set to movie to be put in the data directory. It is vanilla compatible, if you want to play the maps with another mod, you will have to include the last four lines in the localization file to your loc current file.

It works without the localized, but you will not see the Woods and Hills map and the Waterloo second version.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here's follows the description of new maps revised. For complete list see next spoiler.
    The width of the maps are proportional to the number of players:

a) for a 1vs1 map will 1400X1400 meters
    b) for a 2vs2 1600x1600 meters
    c) for 3vs3 and 4vs4 dimension is set to the maximum available of 2000x2000 meters

In some maps will probably need a translation of the battle axis, from north-south to east-ovest for more balance. I'll be added in future version together with more personalized deployment zones for each map.

The ratings are on a 6-10 scale, the shortcomings have been eliminated.

1) Waterloo = a central ridge surrounding three occupable buildings (Hougomont, La Haie Sainte and Papelotte). The village of Plancenoit is near the south border, while the occupable castle of Mont St. Jean on the north side. To the west border the road is now open for movements of encirclement since the embankment that prevented movement has been softened down.
    RATING 9

8 ) Lodi = Flattened map of the original one. Bridges, fords, high hills to east and the town to the west allow interesting variations with the new north-south axis of battle.
    RATING 8

9) Ligny = Flattened map of the original one. Rear deployement areas with allied player closer to center.
    VOTE 7

17) WOODS AND HILLS= dense forests with hills in the central area.
    VOTE 7

Playing mainly MP battles I've always regarded the current stock maps as a bit unbalanced, some unplayable, some with too exagerated elevations, most with too close deployement zones, all with too small dimension.

This is my attempt to make a huge revision of the stock maps, with some hidden maps included as well, providing a much more balanced environment for those players who like large battlefield and long maneuvering and who believes that usually hills are not mountains. Since my clan members liked them I've thought to make available to everybody.
    A big thanx for help and suggestions to Lord_Badger of the Lordz Community.

Be advised these are not for fast engagements lasting twenty minutes, because the deployemnt zones have been moved closer to border map, which in turn it's itself larger than vanilla. So expect long army movements, flanking maneuvering, low hills and not high peaks where unrealstically to camp onto. There are now 25 playable maps with some historical battles left unchanged (Borodino, Arcole) and some with revised dep zones and heights (no more peaks at Austerlitz, but the gentle slope leading to Pratzen; gentle slope at Waterloo with no more the blocking crest towards Brain l'Alleud).
    Most maps habe been revised with lower heights and set to 2000X2000 metres for 3vs3 or 4vs4 battles.

This mod is in MOD format. I assume everybody knows how to launch a mod, but for those who has never done that, there's the new MOD MANAGER revised for NTW. The only file modified in the DB directory is the battles_table. Of course you will not be anymore compatible with vanilla players, every player needs the same mod installed to play on these revised maps.

Here's the line needed in the user script

napoleon.exe mod mod_real_maps_v1_5.pack;

I think that the mod can work with the SP campaign without any problems, but I have to test it yet.

English localized version:

http://www.filefront.com/16100503/Mo...5_english.rar/

See the spolier for maps decription and you can find an italian translation in
    http://www.realtimestrategy.it/viewt...p=84814#p84814

Italian localized version:

http://www.filefront.com/16100743/Mod_RealMaps_V1_5_italian.rar/

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Here's follows the description of all maps and of any changes compared to vanilla maps. North/Sud/Est/Ovest have to be seen regarded to the minimap.
    Unless otherwise indicated the areas of deployment are on board and extended to map the full width east-west.
    The width of the maps are proportional to the number of players:

a) for a 1vs1 map will 1400X1400 meters
    b) for a 2vs2 1600x1600 meters
    c) for 3vs3 and 4vs4 dimension is set to the maximum available of 2000x2000 meters

Only known bug at the moment concerns the map Twin Hills: clicking on this name list and then later selecting another map generates a crash to desktop. I don't know if this is connected to my italian localization file. However the map is playable without any problems, you must select and procede directly to the army selection screen.
    In some maps will probably need a translation of the battle axis, from north-south to east-ovest for more balance. I'll be added in future version together with more personalized deployment zones for each map.

The ratings are on a 6-10 scale, the shortcomings have been eliminated.

1) Waterloo = a central ridge surrounding three occupable buildings (Hougomont, La Haie Sainte and Papelotte). The village of Plancenoit is near the south border, while the occupable castle of Mont St. Jean on the north side. To the west border the road is now open for movements of encirclement since the embankment that prevented movement has been softened down.
    RATING 9

2) Icelandic Pinnacles = massive leveling of this mountain map. Now a field of snow Eylau style, with scattered dense forests and gentle hills running from east to west. Forests will take a hit on slower PC.
    VOTE 6

3) Mountain = massive leveling of the original, now very dense forests spread to observe a hill that descends gradually from north to south. A dense forest divides in half the battlefield in the south. Likely candidate to an axis reversal.
    VOTE 7

4) Valley = Heavy leveling of the original mountain map, now many scattered and gentle hills form the outline of a village in the map center with 6 buildings occupable and another two farms east conquerable as well. One of my favorites
    VOTE 9

5) Italian Grassland = far deployment and broader dimensions allow expanded movement on this map with the central hills and occupable villages to set new strategies other than the vanilla rush to the central hill.
    VOTE 7

6) Pyramids = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment.
    VOTE 6

7) Grassy flatlands = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment.
    VOTE 7

8 ) Lodi = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment. Bridges, fords, high hills to east and the town to the west allow interesting variations with the new north-south axis of battle.
    RATING 8

9) Ligny = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment.
    VOTE 7

10) Great Plains = probably an unfinished map, it shows an arid plain without trees and with some cottage. Ground broken by scattered hills that offer various shelters to units. I will have to populate a bit since topography is nice, maybe in next version.
    VOTE 6

11) Friedland = Reduced significantly the hills and a passage on the west hill has been opened. Areas of deployment are now north-south, compared to the historic east-west. It will be possibly revised in the next version since the rivers are now almost fordable everywhere.
    VOTE 7

12) Dry Heat = massive leveling of the original, now a gentle hill station is surrounded by higher hills in a semicircle mediterranean landscape of palmas.
    VOTE 7

13) Dresden = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment.
    RATING 8

14) Syrian ridge = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment. A ridge that runs east-west divides the field full of palmas and with some oasis pond. Likely candidate to an axis reversal in the next version.
    VOTE 6

15) Amazon = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment. Wetland with various fords.
    VOTE 6

16) Prussian_Hills = Lowered levels respect to the original, beautiful autumnal tones, some hills on a est-west axis in the center part of the map. Perhaps better to reverse the deployment area with east-west.
    VOTE 7

17) Twin Hills= dense forests with hills in the central area. Bug in menu selection, avoid select other maps after this one.
    VOTE 6

18) Five Hills = significant lowering of the original heights, now some gentle hills around the battlefield encircle a more extensive one in the map center. Forests to enable advanced hidden corners to the center. Forests will take their tols on slower PC.
    VOTE 7

19) Farmstead =scattered hills, woods and occupable villages the center in the typical English spring nature. A pearl of gameplay in my opinion inexplicably hidden by the CA.
    VOTE 9

20) Austerlitz = The central peaks are now more accessible areas of the hills to the north and moving south. Deployment version as original map but expanded to the north and south for 3vs3 and 4vs4.
    VOTE 7

21) Ying Yang = woods and olive groves on a central plateau. A village stands on the north, possibly scheduled for the coming campaign peninsular.
    RATING 8

22) Arcole = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment.

23) Homestead = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment. Likely to reverse the axis east-west and to lowen the central hills.
    VOTE 6

24) Syberian Plateau = same version as the default with map extension and backward areas of deployment.

25) Borodino = same version as the default battle with original areas of deployment. The only map limited to 3vs3 as orignal. Will be expanded in hext version.

Future addiction: Mp historical battles revision with correct order of battles but limited deployement zones available to players (first one Waterloo).
    Translation of some map maovement axis from north-south to eas-ovest (Prussian Hills, Friedland)
    A couple of more maps added with revised heights level.
    Last edited by LEGIO_Desaix; October 06, 2010 at 10:27 AM.

Ba'alzamon's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: REALISM MP MAP PACK

It looks okay

dougie j's Avatar Decanus

Excellent Desaix,

I will have a look straight away

Great work :

I think it's a real change in the way of playing.
    4v4 : more units, larger map, it's more strategic.

Can you make your own map with the set to 2000X2000 metres ?
    Desaix, do you speak french ?

Quote Originally Posted by MVillars View Post
    Great work :

I think it's a real change in the way of playing.
    4v4 : more units, larger map, it's more strategic.

Can you make your own map with the set to 2000X2000 metres ?
    Desaix, do you speak french ?
    Pas de problem à le lire, ma je le parle et écrir pas bien.

I will provide a new version this evening compatible with the new patch (which regarding map added the new wellingtong historical waterloo).

I'm quite new to map design, we're trying to make a Marengo real map and scenario.
    Setting dimension is the easisest way. Every map in NTW is 2000X2000 metres, the actual playing dimension set by the deployement zone width and height.

In mod 1vs1 is set to 1400X1400, 2vs2 to 1600X1600 and 3vs3 4vs4 to the maximum size of 2000X2000
    Last edited by LEGIO_Desaix; March 26, 2010 at 01:01 PM.

Senator

This is very good work!

CA patch nightmare strikes again
    What terrible timing, i didn't even get a chance to take a look

Thanks Desaix

Like Dougie, I have not had chance to check these out yet but they are a very welcome gift.

Cheers

Grog (NBC)

MAP PACK updated to version 1a compatible with new patch of CA. Link updated in first post.

After some problems i have managed with help from Desaix to get things working.
    Had a look at waterloo and Austerlitz and they are much improved good stuff.

I wonder if there are possibilities or plans to remove the ridiculous amount of trees found on some of these maps, I'm pretty sure that an awful lot of the old NTW2 community players would agree that this would make a huge difference to the playability of many of the CA maps.
    Some of them might even become very good maps if we could see what we were doing

Having had a quick look at the map making and editing processes i do understand how unbelievably difficult and time consuming this sort of work is

Over to you Desiax

Cheers DJ
    Last edited by dougie j; March 26, 2010 at 06:26 PM.

The maps are much better now I love the way they have reduced elevation with hills and rises instead of mountains. Great Job +Rep

Thanx Dartanianx.

A brief map description in english (well my basic one) is now added in the spoiler window of the first post.

Hey Desaix, I was wondering old bean if I could kindly use this mod in my Napoleon Order of War mod, all credit would go to you, and our great Lordz community.

Cherrio, GB!
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Good job
    Last edited by ♔Lord Sean Cappone♔; March 29, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Sì, vorrei che fossero parte della mia modifica e autoinstallante.
    Formally known as 'Marshal Beale' - The Creator the Napoleon TW mods - 'Napoleon Order of War' and 'Revolution Order of War'

Complimenti per il mod Desaix

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Beale View Post
    Hey Desaix, I was wondering old bean if I could kindly use this mod in my Napoleon Order of War mod, all credit would go to you, and our great Lordz community.

Cherrio, GB!
    Of course, feel free to add my mod to yours.

Lol, Desaix it's the best
    Last edited by ♔Lord Sean Cappone♔; March 29, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

I'm sorry for being such a noob but I would really like to use this mod and I just can't get it to work. My OS is windows 7. I have opened the rar file using rar extract frog (or something like that). I copied the file (called a pack file at this point) to the data folder. I can see it in the data folder after reopening it. I created a user script file in the roaming/appdata/common/napoleon etc and pasted the line the modmaker posted above. I installed the Napoleon Mod Manager and I see the mod listed. I cannot get the mod to work. I'm sure it is something I overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryangreenleaf View Post
    I'm sorry for being such a noob but I would really like to use this mod and I just can't get it to work. My OS is windows 7. I have opened the rar file using rar extract frog (or something like that). I copied the file (called a pack file at this point) to the data folder. I can see it in the data folder after reopening it. I created a user script file in the roaming/appdata/common/napoleon etc and pasted the line the modmaker posted above. I installed the Napoleon Mod Manager and I see the mod listed. I cannot get the mod to work. I'm sure it is something I overlooked. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Put the pack file in data,
    then either,
    1. put in your user script file and then launch NTW as usual from steam games.
    Or
    2. do not put in your user script file, open Mod Manager select the real MPMap pack and launch game from Mod Manager, this way MM creates the script file for you.

I suggest option 2

Good luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast