Thread: Revolutions and Diplomacy

Neoton's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon5 Revolutions and Diplomacy

I have some questions about these two things. First I want to know what are the adventages and disadventages of the:
    Republic
    Constitutional Monarchy
    Absolute Monarchy
    And how can I cause each one of them.
    So far I know that in the Republic you can't fire more than one minister on turn.
    Another question can I change my Monarch without a revolution?
    And the last on - I was Playing as Spain and bescause of thet alliance with France in the beggining of the game(I broke it on the first turn) everyone hate me and that "Alliance with an enemy fraction" in the diplomacy menu is lowering with one every turn, so I need 164 turns for it to disappear?! Can I speed this procces(dont suggest state gifts)?

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Revolutions and Diplomacy

Quote Originally Posted by Neoton View Post
    I have some questions about these two things. First I want to know what are the adventages and disadventages of the:
    Republic
    Constitutional Monarchy
    Absolute Monarchy
    And how ca I cause each one of them.
    So far I know that in the Republic you can't fire more than one minister on turn.
    Another question can i change my Monarch without a revolution?
    And the last on - I was Playing as Spain and bescause of thet alliance with France in the beggining of the game(I broke it on the first turn) everyone hate me and that "Alliance with an enemy fraction" in the diplomacy menu i lowering with one every turn, so I need 164 turns for it to disappear?! Can I speed this procces(dont suggest state gifts)?
    Let's take things in turn:

To get a republic, you need to cause a revolution with the lower orders and then side with the rebels. The advantages of the Republic are that it gets a bonus to research and causes more happiness amongst the lower orders. You can also appoint any minister you like but the added advantage is you can have a change of head of state easily, too, which is something that a constitutional monarchy or an absolute monarchy can't have.

To get a constitutional monarchy, you first have to have a republic and then cause a revolution with the middle classes and side with them. A constitutional monarchy is the middle-ground so there's a medium bonus to tech research and both the upper- and lower-classes are fairly happy. You can only fire ministers from the current government and they will be replaced with a random minister. There's no "pool" to choose from as with an absolute monarchy.

To get an absolute monarchy I'd imagine that you cause an upper class revolt with a constitutional monarchy although I've never tried. In absolute monarchies, tech research is slower but the upper classes are very happy and the lower classes are somewhat discontent.

You cannot change your monarch without a revolution; you just have to hope that they die (which only happens with the British George III as far as I know).

You can't speed up the process I'm afraid. All you can do to improve relations is to give gifts.

Taken from spraetters guide @ http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/69328 :

"The government types availible to you are the Absolute Monarchy, the Constitutional Monarchy and the Republic. The only difference in how the government types behave compared with E:TW, that I have found, are that there are more turns between elections now. When you play as France in the Napoleonic campaign, France has it's own government type called Empire. It's listed as a constitutional monarchy in the diplomacy tab, the minister tab behaves as it would for an absolute monarchy, and it gives a happiness bonus to both classes, so it's a pretty neat form of government.

Revolutions

Revolutions are pretty much identical to how they worked in E:TW. If you want to go from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional one, you still have to become a republic first to get a middle class, and then have them revolt into another revolution.

Revolutionary armies are now bigger than what I remember them to be in E:TW. This means that if you have a small military presence in your capital and you side with your existing government, you might very well lose. It also means that if you move your armies out of your home region before a revolution occurs, and you side with the rebels, you get an easy win.

If you decide to become a republic, be warned; you will suffer -100 in diplomatic relations with all monarchies. You will also get +70 with all other republics, but seeing as the only republic is the Batavian Republic this is of little importance.

Note that, if you play as France in the European campaign, you cannot have a revolution like normal. Napoleon can not be replaced as the leader of the French faction."

The absolute numbers are as follows:

Absolute Monarchy:
    Repression: 5
    Nobility Class Happiness: +2
    Lower Class Happiness: -2
    Research Rate: -10%
    Recruitment Cost For Land Units: -5%
    Minister Growth In Home Theatre: -6
    Town Wealth Growth: -5

Constitutional Monarchy:
    Repression: 3
    Nobility Class Happiness: +1
    Lower Class Happiness: +1
    Effects of Clamour For Reform: -25%
    Minister Growth In Home Theatre: +3
    Town Wealth Growth: +5

Republic:
    Repression: 2
    Middle Class Happiness: +1
    Lower Class Happiness: +3
    Research Rate: +5%
    Effects of Clamour For Reform: -80%
    Minister Growth In Home Theatre: +10
    Town Wealth Growth: +12

If you click the link, be sure to check the Empire guide by him as well, it's still handy for Napoleon
    Last edited by Dreamw4lk3r; March 25, 2010 at 08:48 AM.

Thanks + rep.

Basically, without a giant paragraph:

Monarchy: Complete control, no elections, upper class is happy, lower class is angry, lower military upkeep, crap replacement ministers.
    Republic: President with parliament, elections every few years, upper class is angry, lower class is happy, high military upkeep, very good ministers for replacements.
    Constitutional monarchy: King with parliament, elections for the parliament only every few years, upper class is not angry or happy, lower class is not angry or happy, average military upkeep, average ministers.

sorry travisk for trying to give complete and detailed info!

I'm not saying its bad, I just find that normal forum readers prefer something brief, you know?

What of these 3 do you reconommer for Spain?

I'd skip republic altogether in N:TW since it will make diplomatic relations with any other country near-impossible.

Absolute monarchy is sweet imo for the military bonus, but I like the constitutional monarchy for still being able to fire ministers and the other bonusses, it's your own choice really... I know spain's monarch sucks, but if you control you regions well and keep the best ministers in place you won't experience much trouble.

CerealGuy's Avatar Centenarius

There is Also the Empire which only France has and you can only change it by modding Start-pos and all the effect i see from it is
    +1 happiness to all classes
    and it does suffer industrialization
    CerealGuy/Friday before

what do tigers dream of?