Thread: No rules games

Default No rules games

How many of you prefer online matches where there are no matches. I find it much more satisfying playing matches against an opponent (live or AI) when I have no idea what troops will make up their army. It is also very satisfying trying out really different types of armies, ie ten cavalry units. It could be seen as unfair but cavalry are easily dealt with by squares. Lots of artillery, no problem, adapt, try new strategies. Just seems more fun to face varying situations.

Default Re: No rules games

Quote Originally Posted by Druss-slayer View Post
    How many of you prefer online matches where there are no matches.
    I think most of us prefer our matches to have matches.

I find it much more satisfying playing matches against an opponent (live or AI) when I have no idea what troops will make up their army. It is also very satisfying trying out really different types of armies, ie ten cavalry units. It could be seen as unfair but cavalry are easily dealt with by squares. Lots of artillery, no problem, adapt, try new strategies. Just seems more fun to face varying situations.
    Tbh a good player using cav spam is actually very hard to deal with.

Oops, yeah, meant "matches to have no rules". Cav spam is tricky, yeah, but it can also make for a very interesting match if both players are any good. Not saying I would it to be a regular thing but I wouldn't quit on a player who decided to attack with such an army. The same goes for all infantry armies. I attacked once with an all infantry army and it was the best match against a conventional/varied army. Ten rockets - ah, no - I draw the line at boredom, pretty, but still boredom.

Oops, yeah, meant "matches to have no rules". Cav spam is tricky, yeah, but it can also make for a very interesting match if both players are any good. Not saying I would it to be a regular thing but I wouldn't quit on a player who decided to attack with such an army. The same goes for all infantry armies. I attacked once with an all infantry army and it was the best match against a conventional/varied army. Ten rockets - ah, no - I draw the line at boredom, pretty, but still boredom.
    Haha yeah was just busting your balls

I like to experiment with many different types of setups like you're saying. Sometimes I use rules, other times I like to go into someone else's hosted games and play by their rules.

They should bring back the war dogs from Rome (yeah, I know, Napolean didn't use them). Imagine a couple of thousand of those running at your troops, hehe, and maybe a couple of hundred pigs on fire. Classic!

They should bring back the war dogs from Rome (yeah, I know, Napolean didn't use them). Imagine a couple of thousand of those running at your troops, hehe, and maybe a couple of hundred pigs on fire. Classic!
    Apparently the Russians use starved boars to reck some havoc among their foes.
    I heard they were used against Napoleon at Borodino.

I don't know is this is fact, or just some myth I heard

Tbh a good player using cav spam is actually very hard to deal with.[/QUOTE]

It can get tricky, but their army will usually be very unbalaced and weak in certain (most-likely all other) areas.

OUt of interest what tactics does a good player with a cav heavy army use? squares are death to all cavalry no?

Squares are death but if you have lights shooting at them, you will see a world of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wilothewisp View Post
    OUt of interest what tactics does a good player with a cav heavy army use? squares are death to all cavalry no?
    If he squares up then you use your lights/line to shoot the out of the squares. Common sense tells you that you don't charge cav into squares, so if he squares up, avoid the squares and go after whatever else he has. After a few seconds if the opponent is somewhat smart he will be forced to take his line out of squares to fire back at your light/line, this is when he charges. He will square up again, keep shooting him and retreat the cav. By this time his line will be heavily depleted. This all requires a fair bit of micro though, and that is just a basic idea of what to do with a cav heavy army.

No art max 2 cav max 3 rifles and light no british foot no old guard only historical general

I've run into too many of these

Quote Originally Posted by ccqwert7 View Post
    No art max 2 cav max 3 rifles and light no british foot no old guard only historical general

I've run into too many of these
    Whoever plays by those rules is a noob