Thread: Argh!!!! I hate this game! Stupid problems.

Default Argh!!!! I hate this game! Stupid problems.

Hi,

Yesterday I bought RTW : BI, but when I tried to install it, it couldn't find the original RTW
    on my computer.
    Now a few months ago I also had problems with uninstalling/reinstalling the game, after I used some mods.
    Using Registry cleaner en regedit i sort of managed to sort of reinstall the game, but it actually
    didn't complete the installation. I could play the game however in some funny way.
    So now I have a uncomplete installation on my pc (thats why BI couldn't find the original game I think), and about 4 mods.
    Could someone please help me out how to get rid of all the files associated with RTW!?
    I'm really getting sick of this!!!!

Oh, and it is the original game, no copy or something.
    The game is also not mentioned in Add/Remove Programs.

Thanks very much!

Gillian

Edit : This isn't the only game with which I've got problems uninstalling by the way! Could it be that my 'uninstall program' is corrupted or something?
    Last edited by Gill; October 04, 2005 at 06:09 AM.

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

try going into program files and deleting the RTW folder from program files. If you have already done that, then I'm afraid I cannot personally help you. Good luck!
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

Also done that!
    Now if I install the game, first of all, you would see those black and red images of legionaries etc while installing. I don't see them.
    When at the end of the install i get error 1628 : Could not complete installation. When I look at the activision folder there is a RTW folder, but the RTW.exe isn't there.
    And the game isn't mentioned in the add/remove programs file.

What I also noted is that when at the begin of the install there isn't any text in the License agreement.
    Very weird..

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

sounds like the CD is corrupted - thats bad. Is the disc scratched at all?
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

Something like that happened to me once.

Get a registry browse tool (even Regedit does the job) and search for every registry key containing "Rome", "Activision" and "Creative Assembly". Take care if you have other software installed by Activision or CA, or something whose name contains "Rome"!

Delete each and every one of these registry keys. You'll be amazed how many there are left. Delete (if you have not already dome so) the game directory. Also, if you have not installed in the default directory, look on your C:\ partition whether there are any remnants left that accidentally got there.

That should do the trick. If it doesn't work, there seems to be some problem with the CD.

I already did the regedit thingy, but perhaps I missed something.
    I will do it again.
    I also have like 3 mods, RTR, SPQR and Darthmod. Should I try to look for these too.
    Perhaps someone can give me some searchtips for regedit?

Okay, I used regedit and deleted all of RTW that I could find.
    After that I installed the game.
    Now the weird thing is, that at the end I got the warning 1628 : Could not complete installation. There wasn't a shortcut on my desktop either.
    So I go to my program files and there I find a activion folder and in it a RTW folder.
    So I open the RTW folder, it seemed there was something missing, but I don't know what.
    The RTW icon was there, so I klicked it and behold. The game works.
    Very strange.
    So I go to add/remove programs, and the whole game isn't mentioned there!!
    After that I tried to install the expansion pack, but that failed because the setup couldn't find the original RTW game on my PC!!

Is there someone who could explain this to me, and if it can be fixed?

Edit: Sorry for the double-post. :sweatingb

It may be that when you install an application that uses an installer, specifically Microsoft Installer it uses the registry to keep track of what applications are installed. By removing these entries from the registry you have screwed with the MSI installation. The game still works because all the files that need to be registered e.g .dll files are still registered.

To solve the problem I would advise that you delete you Rome Total War Folder and reinstall. Any registry entries that still exist should be overwritten.

Alternatively if you have Windows XP you could attempt to restore your system to a previous time. It usual creates a system restore point when you install a new application, so just go back to before you installed RTW, make sure you delete and files concerning RTW on the hard disk, but leave the registry alone and install RTW.

Hope this makes sense, my first post.

Delete the InstallShield folder in your Program Files (it may be hidden so use the "show hidden files/folders" option in Tools. That may help you out. When you try to install RTW, it will install a fresh copy of Install Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo Lives
    Delete the InstallShield folder in your Program Files (it may be hidden so use the "show hidden files/folders" option in Tools. That may help you out. When you try to install RTW, it will install a fresh copy of Install Shield.
    You mean the whole InstallShield folder or only the one referring to RTW, which isn't there.

Find the directory of Installshield and remove the >ONE< Folder that contains Rome Total War. You might have to search all of them and accessing the Setup config file to find the name of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill
    You mean the whole InstallShield folder or only the one referring to RTW, which isn't there.
    The whole folder. It should be in your C:\Program Files\.. area. When you install RTW it will install the InstallShield again.

The whole folder. It should be in your C:\Program Files\.. area. When you install RTW it will install the InstallShield again.
    But what of the other InstallShield files of other programs that are in the Installshield folder?

Quote Originally Posted by Gill
    But what of the other InstallShield files of other programs that are in the Installshield folder?
    Shouldn't cause a problem, delete the whole thing. But..just in case I am wrong, make a backup of the whole thing and place it in a folder with a different name. Then try and install the game. It should, knock on wood, work fine.

Shouldn't cause a problem, delete the whole thing. But..just in case I am wrong, make a backup of the whole thing and place it in a folder with a different name. Then try and install the game. It should, knock on wood, work fine.
    Okay! I will try it then. Not much too loose.
    I'll keep you posted and thanx for the help.

Had the same thing happen to me..I can't get RTW to reload properly...And the preferences folder is missing....I think I must have a corrupted disc...