Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pictures of Proposed Roman Units

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Pictures of Proposed Roman Units

OK,

Just to keep some of you satisfied I have uploaded some "works in progress". These may change over time but you will get the general idea where I am heading.

1. Legio Lanciarii.

As you are probably aware by the mid 3rd Century parts of a legion were composed of more lightly armed troops called lanciarii, named after the light javelins that they used. These troops virtually forfilled the role of the old republican velites and indicates how heavily armed auxilia troops had become by now.

This man has a 3rd Century Helmet, which was originally called the Auxilary Cavalry E helmet by Prof H. Russell Robinson and was thought to have been a late 2nd early 3rd Century helmet, but have been discovered throughout the 3rd century. These helments were used by legions and auxila alike including equites. They provide virtually complete protection to the head even covering the ears (though I would have thought that wuould have made you hard of hearing, especially in the heat of battle) and the large neck piece made it hard to put your head up. This helmet was in use until very late in the 3rd Century.

The shield design is by leif_erikson

The next picture shows a rather heavily armed legionary who may have been in the front lines. He too has the Type E helmet but has a long lorica hamata and retains a later form of rectangular scutum which I believe was still in use well into the 3rd Century. He also waers greaves and manicae. He is armed with a Pilum and Spatha.

The next figure is again a legionary but he has a large oval scutum which was much more popular.

The shield design is by leif_erikson

The next unit is a legionary who has a Spangelhelm Helmet which was becoming popular by the late 3rd Century and started to replace the Type E helmet. He wears a lorica segmentata which according to recent archeological discoveries in Spain may have still be in some use by as late as 280AD. This of course is conjectual but i thought I would include it for interest sake.

Again, the shield design is by leif_erikson.

Now keep this to yourselves but leif has kindly donated his much spare time to doing the shield designs for the romans as well as new tunics and will aslo be doing the barbarian skins. But don't tell anyone.

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: Pictures of Proposed Roman Units

FIRT POST!! way to be a tease!! they look Great all of them!!!
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

I was wondering if you would include the Vigils as a unit as well? Yann Le Bohec mentioned that they are militarised in the 3rd century AD.

Julianus Flavius's Avatar Campidoctor

I like lots Also I see you're using IJ as the base for the mod, judging bu the owner of the units don't worry I won't tell anyone.
    I like the rectangle-shield legionaries best. Will testudos be included for them?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    Some of my favourite quotes:
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"
    ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'

juvenus's Avatar Campidoctor

Well done, another excellent mod in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius
    I like lots Also I see you're using IJ as the base for the mod, judging bu the owner of the units don't worry I won't tell anyone.
    I like the rectangle-shield legionaries best. Will testudos be included for them?
    You can always add testudo or any engine supported formation to any unit, on your own.

Except spearmen. But I was wondering wether or not the 'official' mod would have those formations, see I like to play online, so if I add those formations, my opponent would have to as well, or we'd be incompatable.
    What have the Romans ever done for us?? apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us?
    "Your god has yet to prove himself more merciful than his predecessors" ~ Hypatia, as represented in the film 'Agora'
    "If you choose to do nothing, they will continue to do this again and again, until there is no-one left in the city, no people for this governement to govern"

Just wondering, would the legions be named?

Really nice! I'm eagerly awaiting this great mod!

SeniorBatavianHorse's Avatar Tribunus Vacans

Excellent preview and lovely looking units!

Quote Originally Posted by Julianus Flavius View Post
    Except spearmen. But I was wondering wether or not the 'official' mod would have those formations, see I like to play online, so if I add those formations, my opponent would have to as well, or we'd be incompatable.
    Oh.....I see. I didn't understand you last time, sorry.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

Great stuff, JH, simply amazing!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Nice. any more segmentata armored units?
    In any mod before 286 AD they should be included
    BTW, =Rep
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; March 24, 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Amazing. I can't wait to play... +rep
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Fantastic. A bridge between early Roman and late Roman...fascinating.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

yeah I have always wondered what came in between, it's like looking at a charmander and a charizard and going WTF??? The thing is I know bugger all about this period in history miltary-wise.

Gee! The missing link between principate and Late Roman infantry has been found in the third and fourth pictures . They look great, JH .

Art by Joar

it's like looking at a charmander and a charizard and going WTF???
    Haha, good simile.

Game of the Fates
    Mod of the week on hold -- I've played nearly every RTW mod out there.
    BOYCOTT THE USE OF SMILEYS! (Okay, just once)
    Antiochos VII...last true scion of the Seleucid dynasty...rest in peace, son of Hellas.
    I've returned--please forgive my long absence.

Sigma's Avatar Ducenarius

Very nice +Rep for you. Your work is great and I enjoy your mods, I know I'll enjoy this one as well.

Antiochos yes you're talking to someone who was poor most of his childhood due to pokemon
    This mod's going to be excellent I reckon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast