Thread: Ballistics of the Bear

Default Ballistics of the Bear

Been playing as Russia and I've had plenty of opportunity to try out the experimental howitzer and the 10lb unicorn. I have a question or two regarding the Howie.

Recently kicked the French out of Paris using the reverse slope defense, unicorns firing from behind the ridge - I bet Wellesley would've approved. I found it most effective, but it made me question the usefulness of the howitzer. You see generally, I find my unicorns rack up more kills and therefore on the surface at least appear to be more effective than the howitzers... So what am I missing? I also think maybe the unicorns are more accurate...?

What are the principal advantages of a) carcass shot and b) quicklime?

Default Re: Ballistics of the Bear

Carcass and quicklime serve basically the same purpose, quicklime just doing it better. That purpose being to target moving units. The shell splits open and spills it's load in a straight line, which can erase a file even if it misses the target directly. Explosives will blow a bigger hole, but are more likely to hit nothing. With carcass/quicklime, even though you kill fewer, you're basically guaranteed a few kills on every volley. Less of an all-or-nothing thing.

Carcass & quicklime have a bigger impact on morale - or at least that's the impression i have -

I suspected they might.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Aim quicklime slightly infront of moving infantry, it takes a second or two to spread out so they take maximum casualties if they have to walk through it.

@Josst when i click on the units, my mortar shells already explode just before the line so the quicklime & carcass burns right on top of them (it spills out as you say) so I don't see the need to click before them, because like that i'd have to keep micro on them to get the same effect...

When they're at a run or it's cav ... well that's a different matter

carcass is a massive killer for cav . not sure about quicklime problably the same

carcass & quicklime are both killers vs anything they hit but to hit running cav or inf, it's better to aim your mortars manually, that's all

so would you guys say that quicklime is a better option that carcass?

haven't noticed very different results myself when it comes to carcass vs quicklime, but I think if I have to choose quicklime because I have the impression it has a slightly bigger spread + it's later in tech tree so it SHOULD have advantages right? :p

They beat eplosive shells from normal howies in any case.
    oh, btw, question: has anyone used howitzer cannister shot? Is it more powerful than the normal cannon cannister shot or just the same?

tbh dream iv never had the ai get close enough to them to use canister there running like hell well before. Hmm do a test in in the sinlge player battles thats an easy way to compare i guess
    Last edited by Blackstar; April 03, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

maybe...for me the quicklime is a better option
    Last edited by VINDIC; April 04, 2010 at 05:31 PM.