Thread: A well played battle.. By the Battle AI

Internazionale's Avatar Campidoctor

Default A well played battle.. By the Battle AI

THE CAMPAIGN

In this coalition campaign, I have as the prussians become the greatest nation on earth, already conquered most of north-western europe.
    When you have like 4000 prestige points, I think the other factions are starting to sweat. But yet, it's not like I am at war with EVERYONE.
    I have destroyed the French, and pushed into Spain. And I have "unified" the german states, mostly.

Conquering Spain was't easy. I probably had my hardest time fighting the Spanish armies, as somehow they fought me better than the LOL-armies encountered in France.
    Thanks to Spain, I have the biggest and most powerful fleet, constantly scanning my southern shorelines.
    The Dragon/Santissimo Trinidad vaporates anything that comes in my way, but I have yet to defeat Nelson.
    That n00b is patrolling the English Channel. What an ass. He will soon be a crewmember of The Flying Dutchman, when I have my grand fleet fart at them.
    Also, in fear of their little island being invaded by my german legions of death, the British have declared war on me.
    They finally landed a stack in northern France, not far from Caen. Can't wait to finally get those betraying bastards. I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS!!!!

Although the Austrians and Russians are still allies with me, I think it's a question of time before they decide that they want to party.
    Too bad France got annihilated by my 2 stacks besieging their last bastion on Corsica. In other words, Napoleon got killed in his hometown.
    Or is he dead? I swear to god, that man refuse to die. You can unleash 1000 cannon shells unto him, but he escapes with a "wound". LOL
    But it would've been fun if Nappyboy got killed by running into stakes when he really was suppose to penetrate deep into Russia.

THE BATTLE

In this battle, I got my ass whooped by the BAI.. first time I think.
    I know, you are thinking "OMG NOOB HOW CAN YOU LOSE AGAINST THE AI???"
    But the fact is, if the AI army has enough men, some neat infantry to make the bulk of their forces, better artillery than you,
    and a better position, I have myself discovered that the BAI can sometimes grab you by the balls. And it hurts.
    And this was played on NORMAL.

I encountered the Portoguese army at a bridge near Madrid. Blucher was leading my Prussian army, aaand.. , what was the portoguese general named? lol, I don't remember.
    Anyway, when the battle took place, my army was at the far side, on the other side of the river.
    The Portoguese horde was positioned on the opposite side, near a village on top of a small slope.

I thought to myself "piece of cake, lets just position my howitzers near the bridge and let those turds come to me."
    Not long after the battle commenced, I realized that they wouldn't commit their forces to a full-scale charge across the bridge.
    Of course, as always, the AI did send a few cavalry units across the bridge, which in turn got blown to smithereens by my howitzers.
    But yet still, the majority of their army just sat on that hill, waiting for me. Then a little fail from my side, I now realized I was the ATTACKER.
    That means, I had to rush across the bridge while under heavy fire from their artillery batteries positioned on the hilltop.
    Their artillery consisted of 12-pounders, which had greater range than my howitzers. So I couldn't really just sit there. I needed to take the initiative, before my army got bombarded to death.

So I quickly formed up on the other side, and began to advance towards the Portoguese.
    While lines of men being removed out of existance by their artillery, the unit closest to the river triggered a FOUGASSE explosion. .
    Well well, they march on, even if their bodyparts are spread all across the battlefield. Earlier on, I made my center and left flank infantry turn off "Fire at Will".
    Later in the battle I forgot to put it on, so they just stood there on the far left flank taking hits, while not firing back.
    This had a major impact on morale, so I quickly sent Blucher in to inspire the men, and to prevent my flank from collapsing.

On my far right, I had my 2 units of skirmishers harassing their flank. Sure, both sides took casualties, but I thought I was about to win.
    But just like THAT, my left flank was destroyed. And to make it worse, the Portoguese got re-inforcements.. Which arrived BEHIND me.
    I knew that my depleted army couldn't possibly defeat another stack, so I tried to drag as many of those bastards as possible with me.
    My army was routed and shot to pieces, even Blucher had to turn tail and run.
    But still, my howitzers were positioned on the other side of the river.

I knew the battle was lost, but I tried to make a last stand by re-positioning the howitzers to cover the bridge. Much to my surprise, only a small portion of their army crossed the bridge.
    As I scrolled along the river, I discovered that there was a rivercrossing that has slipped past my notice. If I knew about it earlier, Blucher would still be kicking ass and taking names, like he always does.
    I repositioned my artillery once again, to meet this flanking threat. I could see that the AI was in quite a hurry, as he would'nt form up on the other side of the river before destroying the last opposition.
    Instead, they advanced in such a fashion, that I could fire upon 1 unit at a time, also giving me time to reload my guns and fire again.
    Finally my artillery got caught up in a melee with the enemy, and they almost instantly routed.

Thats it, the END. But to sum it up, this was one of the most fun and interesting battles I have played in my campaign. Anyone else got any interesting campaign stories to share?

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Default Re: A well played battle.. By the Battle AI

Cool story but unfortunately it sounds like mistakes you made had more to do with you losing then an exceptional AI

But either way its way better then ETWs AI for sure

jfpOne23's Avatar Libertus

Entertaining read...and oh yeah...I feel your pain at forgetting to turn on the fire-at-will. ::LOAD::

Faiakas's Avatar Tiro

I had almost the same AI to face in the Coalition campaign. I was glad to see that AI did a different, more like a human move than ordinary.

Those battles are fun. Since you can surround them and watch them crumble while your General in the midst of victory strolls behind enemy lines to watch the battle.

Cool story but unfortunately it sounds like mistakes you made had more to do with you losing then an exceptional AI.

This.

Wolfcp11's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by BDIZZLE356 View Post
    Cool story but unfortunately it sounds like mistakes you made had more to do with you losing then an exceptional AI
    Is that a bad thing? Should he really expect to lose if he follows a "perfect" battle plan? Armies are defeated when they screw up, not when they do it right.
    "Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit." -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcp11 View Post
    Is that a bad thing? Should he really expect to lose if he follows a "perfect" battle plan? Armies are defeated when they screw up, not when they do it right.
    Simple and well put. + Rep

Xelathur's Avatar Ducenarius

That's nothing. Yesterday I met an AI that owned me so hard, indeed. The battle was 1 fullstack vs 1 fullstack, and I was the defender.
    My artillery was ordered to pound my own lines, to learn the men not to fear death. It was really successfull, and the 10% that remained was death-hardened veterans ready to fight 1:10 odds.

The AI was so amazingly good that it sent it's cavalry to die, as usual, but then their whole line ( line ain't a good description of their battle formations, I would like to say "random mess of lines, but still resembles a line" *oh, blabbering here. ) Well, the amazingly good AI owned me. And that's rad! NTW AI FTW!
    Last edited by Xelathur; March 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
    One’s back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    Ber er hver að baki nema sér bróður eigi.

The Saga of Grettir the Strong, chapter 82

i got pwned by the battle AI in some battles :
    in the first one i stayed in the lower side of the hill for some reason and the AI took the higher side and sent his cav on my flanks , my army routed easily
    in the second one i was hiding in a forest from napoleon and his large ass army , i wasnt expecting a victory because i was outnumbered and heh ad cav while i only had general body guards , the french hided in the same forest but a littile bit ahead of me so i had to attack their well prepared lines , i got owned easily and i failed to even kill a good number of them
    in another battle i was again against napoleon this time i was sure that i cant get a victory but my goal was to kill as many frenchies as possible , i attack the french but they routed my army easily and i didnt kill much , only a small portion of my army returned ( 1 unit of landwehr and 2 jagers ) so i send them to a nearby hill , putting the landwehr on the lower side while the jagers sit on the higher side
    the french attacked in waves , i routed 3 infantry regiements and almsot routed theo thers but they charged with bayonets and routed me .... i lost 566 men while they lost 384

Quote Originally Posted by Xelathur View Post
    That's nothing. Yesterday I met an AI that owned me so hard, indeed. The battle was 1 fullstack vs 1 fullstack, and I was the defender.
    My artillery was ordered to pound my own lines, to learn the men not to fear death. It was really successfull, and the 10% that remained was death-hardened veterans ready to fight 1:10 odds.

The AI was so amazingly good that it sent it's cavalry to die, as usual, but then their whole line ( line ain't a good description of their battle formations, I would like to say "random mess of lines, but still resembles a line" *oh, blabbering here. ) Well, the amazingly good AI owned me. And that's rad! NTW AI FTW!
    Quite sarcastic

But yeah, I know. IMO 90 % of the time, the AI advances in a fat circle, running everywhere and tiring themselves. But just a feeew times, I did get owned.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it like the earlier games, if you put the difficulty higher, the AI forces units would only consist of units with better stats, and not armies deploying and advancing in proper formations?

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Poirot View Post
    Quite sarcastic

But yeah, I know. IMO 90 % of the time, the AI advances in a fat circle, running everywhere and tiring themselves. But just a feeew times, I did get owned.

Can anyone confirm this? Is it like the earlier games, if you put the difficulty higher, the AI forces units would only consist of units with better stats, and not armies deploying and advancing in proper formations?
    Oh yeah! Harder difficulty does not give better AI, just better AI unit stats.
    Now I need more time to fix my "no fear" drilling techniques. They doesn't work as expected

dutch81's Avatar Senator

Not so much a great battle as a side skirmish in a major battle. The battle involved me as Austria vs. Sweden both sides had fairly equal full stacks ... I received one Regiment of Foot as reinforcement on the left flank of my enemy completely isolated from the rest of the battle. The Swedes jumped all over this unit and send two cavalry units at it, with my hands full with the main battle I was slow to move them into a defensive square and they took the full brunt of one charge as they finally got into their square and fought off both the first unit of cavalry as well as the second regiment that had now joined the melee. The Swedish cavalry withdrew and attempted one more charge from opposite sides by my completely surrounded line regiment. This assualt was fought off and both cavalry regiments routed off the field. Now two Swedish regimetns of foot approached my unit ... my infantry quickly took up a position behind a stone wall and started trading volleys with the Swedes ... eventually the first Swedish regiment routed and my Austrians started going after the second Swedish unit ... again taking a defensive position behind a stone wall. Again my regiment now severly depleted routed the Swedes. In all the Regiment took over 50% casualties but routed two units of cavalry and two units of regular foot infantry ... killing 364 enemy soldiers. They got renamed as the "Stonewall Regiment" for their determined defensive feat.

This was ETW v1.5 (w/ no mods)

Pause game or slowmotion time settings are great for learning stuff like Square formation, flanking intercepts, and how to move your army forward without messing it up. This takes practice but once that's done the game becomes a robotic slaughter of X number of AI stacks I hate it that the AI needs the human player to do stupid stuff like tanking cavalry in the rear not using artillery against good targets and having skirmishers standing with the backside towards the enemy.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfcp11 View Post
    His point was the AI used superior tactics to win... my point is superior tactics arent necessary if the opponent make too many mistakes.