Thread: Soviet_Warlords first Photoshop Edit!!

Default Soviet_Warlords first Photoshop Edit!!

Well, here it is

Don't go too hard on me because im a super- noob at this.

-snip- this is the old version, for the new version see below. http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/127...tedcopy9mo.jpg

As you can probably tell, all I did was blur, darken, glow, and add blood to the picture. So... any tips or comments?
    Last edited by Admiral Nelson; October 04, 2005 at 07:07 AM.

It's very nice, but its a bit cliche... I look forward to future work however - the blood in particular is excellent!

lol, yea I suppose. In Photoshop is there a way to simulate anti-aliasing? My old 5200 isn't powerful enough for it, and you can really tell by looking at the ugly spears... especially the ones farther away. Also, how do I add "scratches" on armor and shields? My brush tool at the lowest size setting (1 pixel) is too wide...

You can simulate it by manually blurring the areas you want to AA.

Looks awesome soviet warlord!

There is a bunch of links for special effects for photoshop in the tutorials walkthroughs section, i can't remember which sticky though..

can someone post a thread here with full of good links for photoshop tutorials?

Alright... I made a new version which I didn't spend as much time on, but I just wanted to get rid of two classic RTW clipping errors... no more legs going through shields!
    EDIT: I also fixed the annoying pink blood

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/3...edited25yn.jpg

I removed the picture from my post, leaving only the link for comparison with the new version, found below.

I didn't too a terribly good job but you can't really tell after I blurred it
    Last edited by Admiral Nelson; October 06, 2005 at 04:00 PM.

Virgil's Avatar Powered by Technicolor©

you can achieve scratches really well by using the dodge tool to lighten certain areas. (if you mean on armor). If you mean on people, just do like one of two pixels at like 500%. Those might do the trick.
    Patron to Shadows, The White Knight, Darkragnar, and
    Ramon Gonzales y Garcia. Under the patronage of Horsearcher.

Darth Fungus's Avatar Civis

Also try applying a grain filter. Like Vertical Grain at a low intensity and contrast on certain areas of armor and shields. Try adding monochromatic guassian noise on the subject. The one in two method works as well, just color every other pixel. Also, try adding scratches on different levels, and make them like 50% opacity, and try different blending techniques, such as pin light, exclusion, saturation, etc. Experiment.

Cool, thanks for the tips guys! In this next version, I have removed some spear clipping shield glitches, and added that vertical filtering and contrast that you spoke of, Darth Fungus. Hope you like it! In my opinion the new version has a better atmosphere then the previous versions

EDIT: Added very minor graphical enhancements, nothing big enough to warrant a new post
    Last edited by Admiral Nelson; October 08, 2005 at 04:52 PM.

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

I like it, but at the moment its maybe a tad too dark, makes the background and details dificult to make out. Maybe just increase brightness a bit but not so much of the contrast.. dunno

Also you could try and smooth out some of those jaggy edges, i do it all the time and think it makes things look a lot nicer (like on those foregrund hoplites arms, some shields etc). If you were using psp id recomend the Push tool on about 40% opacity, but i dont think you are
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

Its too dark, for sure. And maybe the blood is a bit "un-bloody". I dunno. BTW Spif, I love your sig, how did you do that?

The blood on the shields is awesome... but on the ground it looks like it is moving at the wrong angle. btw i am really picky about this stuff so i really think the pic is amazing
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffington
    I like it, but at the moment its maybe a tad too dark, makes the background and details dificult to make out. Maybe just increase brightness a bit but not so much of the contrast.. dunno

Also you could try and smooth out some of those jaggy edges, i do it all the time and think it makes things look a lot nicer (like on those foregrund hoplites arms, some shields etc). If you were using psp id recomend the Push tool on about 40% opacity, but i dont think you are
    Actually I'm using the trial version of Photoshop CS 2, but I'm still getting used to all these features... Also, with a quick look in Photoshop, I can't seem to find the "Push" tool... could you give me pointers on how to find it? Help a noob

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Fungus
    Its too dark, for sure. And maybe the blood is a bit "un-bloody". I dunno. BTW Spif, I love your sig, how did you do that?
    Emmm yes... I agree, Spif's signature is cool Anyways, on my monitor the picture looks very clear, and not too dark at all... I only have trouble seeing things if there is too much other light in the room... Could you please give me an example of "photoshopped" real-looking blood?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudd The Crazy
    The blood on the shields is awesome... but on the ground it looks like it is moving at the wrong angle. btw i am really picky about this stuff so i really think the pic is amazing
    Thanks for the constructive criticism I'll look into the ground- blood thing. I take it that you think it should be a little more horizontal on the picture, and not going as if running downhill in the picture?

Spiff's Avatar That's Ffips backwards

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet_Warlord
    Actually I'm using the trial version of Photoshop CS 2, but I'm still getting used to all these features... Also, with a quick look in Photoshop, I can't seem to find the "Push" tool... could you give me pointers on how to find it? Help a noob
    Im not sure i dont really like photoshop personaly.. you could always download a free PSP trial too? Anyway i assume in PS it would be something along the lines of smudge or whatever. If you use if with a small brush and a small step you should be able to smudge out the jaggies but dragging the smudge tool along the edge of the arm, kinda like this

As i said i usualy do this regardless of resolution as i think it makes pictures look less polygonal - always a plus in my books

oh and my sig was made with Jasc Animation shop
    Under the patronage of Tacticalwithdrawal | Patron of Agraes

The blood I was referring to was the blood on the ground. The blood on the shields is alright. Although blood in general always looks like crap in photoshop. I personally prefer bright red blood, against a dark, desaturated background. I just like it.

Hmm I made a newer version, trying my best to use the blur tool to simulate AA, but I don't know if it's an improvement... also, I am clueless as to how to redo the blood on the ground, for I did that waaaay back when I started Photoshopping it. Personally, I don't think its an improvement

I think that I'll try that idea with Paint Shop Pro, later.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

I like how the white on the units and shields stands out. A good effect. Nice Job

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Looks awesome soviet warlord!

There is a bunch of links for special effects for photoshop in the tutorials walkthroughs section, i can't remember which sticky though..

can someone post a thread here with full of good links for photoshop tutorials?
    This one has new ones all the time, I check it a lot, and most lead to other sites with even more goodies...

http://www.tutorialoutpost.com/photoshop-effects/