Thread: Fire & Advance Advantages

Icon14 Fire & Advance Advantages

I know that similar topics have been started before but this is a little different...
    I have lately started using the Fire and Advance tactic. I find it useful for a number of reasons. First of all, your units spread out which makes it harder for the enemy to hit them. Secondly, once the first rank fires, the second advances and fires (and so on). Your soldiers are always firing at the enemy whilst advancing and getting more accurate shots. I used this tactic in an online match today and I won. What do you think of this tactic?

Default Re: Fire & Advance Advantages

It sucks.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

I used to avoid fire and advance in ETW like the plague but i decided to try it out since i learned i can toggle the effect, i agree it is very usefull and the morale shock the enemy line gets when being shot at with fire and advance is awesome, ive made units rout after only one round of volleys

But they totally borked it by making your range decrease when in fire and advance mode which is total BS IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BDIZZLE356 View Post
    I used to avoid fire and advance in ETW like the plague but i decided to try it out since i learned i can toggle the effect, i agree it is very usefull and the morale shock the enemy line gets when being shot at with fire and advance is awesome, ive made units rout after only one round of volleys

But they totally borked it by making your range decrease when in fire and advance mode which is total BS IMO
    Yes that's very true. The range can't possibly decrease from being in that mode (though it does). Though I guess it pays up when your guys get closer and closer to the enemy.

Can't someone just mod the range to be the normal one?

I think the range is short because you fire off the volleys and charge. If you are too far you don’t want to charge.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hue View Post
    I think the range is short because you fire off the volleys and charge. If you are too far you don’t want to charge.
    My men dont do that when in fire and advance mode, they fire their three vollys and then walk back to their original position.

You need to select the unit then select a target. Then they'll fire then charge.

Aklis is your avatar a picture of Nick Cage having a poo?

My men dont do that when in fire and advance mode, they fire their three vollys and then walk back to their original position.

Thats because you are using fire at will.

I have only used fire and advance a few times but from what I've seen the morale penalty is awesome.

Don't know if it works well en masse.

Its because they are in fire-at-will ( as mentioned above) but you must also select an attack target for them to actually attack ie. they cant give themselves their own attack order

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey_MkII View Post
    You need to select the unit then select a target. Then they'll fire then charge.

Aklis is your avatar a picture of Nick Cage having a poo?
    It is Nicky alright. It's from Face/off by John Woo. Can't link you the clip, at work, but search 'Face/Off Halleulujah' on Youtube.

But, back to topic; when just using Fire and Advance, all ranks shoot and advance, when every rank has fired, they charge on their target. If you use fire at will, every rank will shoot and advance, but they will return to their place and repeat the drill, yeah?

I've done some tests and fire and advance (FaA) clearly gives an edge to line infantry in equal situations, provided it is well timed. The advantage FaA drillgives is comparable to an experience chevron. I use FaA mostly in the situation when I have clear numerical advantage and want to win quickly and with minimum casualties. Then, a 4-5 units of line infantry in FaA create quite an impressive and effective barrage of fire. Btw, I keep my units mostly in guard mod to keep the line, but then I have to be carefull with keeping them close enough to the enemy.
    Last edited by Stilgar CG; April 05, 2010 at 04:54 AM.