Thread: Mega-Rebels

Icon5 Mega-Rebels

Playing my first Grand Campaign as Britain. I used Wellington's army to liberate Brittany. Then I moved on to other cities in France and instituted a plan of capture, loot and move on (having no intention to retain ownership of the province). After a few turns the provincial citizenry rebels and creates a full stack army of rebels and "retakes" the province. However, the province is not really retaken, as now a rebel faction owns the provinces, and not France (Napoleon). This seems like a massive exploit, as all I have to do is continue taking provinces, move my army out, let the province rebel, and the French will have to put together a significant force to retake those provincial capitols. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Last edited by Wavemanmav; March 23, 2010 at 10:09 AM.

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Mega-Rebels

I wouldn't go feeling too sorry for the French. If you're playing on any decent difficulty level they'll pull a full stack out of their ass and get the territory back in no-time. I don't really see how it's an exploit though...same basic principal as liberations, except rebels are spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    I wouldn't go feeling too sorry for the French. If you're playing on any decent difficulty level they'll pull a full stack out of their ass and get the territory back in no-time. I don't really see how it's an exploit though...same basic principal as liberations, except rebels are spawned.
    The reason I see it as an exploit is that the French people in the province are really rebelling against a looting British overlord (me), not their French government; however, it is the French faction that ends up suffering. I suppose one could justify this as the people's anger that their government could not protect them from an invader. In game terms, it just seems to be a very easy way to create havok.

I'm currently doing the exact same thing. Looting and moving my army along. That way I don't have to spend 2 or 3 turns pacifying regions I have no need of. I can't see a problem with it to be honest. Remember, these regions are ruled by France, they are not part of France. If the rebels take over from Britain it only makes sense that France would have to send in the troops to restore order.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

This is the reason i quit looting. I liberate Brittany, and loot 3 city's - 2 game years later and they are still rebel provices.

After a few game months when it became really noticeable i even quit blockading/raiding French trade and quit supporting the Prussian/Austrian war effort, no results ;/ Worse thing being that the Rebels didn't have stack army's (might be due to me looting with a medium sized force)

Perhaps in some cases the regions had an underlying hatred for the French that supercedes their anger towards you?
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

I think the Empire Realism mod by Jam takes away the crazy rebel armies that spawn. The new armies are most likely armed citizenry and a few militia units.

Graphic's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by MassRevolt- View Post
    I think the Empire Realism mod by Jam takes away the crazy rebel armies that spawn. The new armies are most likely armed citizenry and a few militia units free XP for your units.
    I don't agree with that change. Formidable rebel armies may not be realistic, but it's a necessity for challenging gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic View Post
    I don't agree with that change. Formidable rebel armies may not be realistic, but it's a necessity for challenging gameplay.
    Absolutely agree with this. Where's the fun if you just steamroll the rebels?

Quote Originally Posted by Wavemanmav View Post
    This seems like a massive exploit, as all I have to do is continue taking provinces, move my army out, let the province rebel, and the French will have to put together a significant force to retake those provincial capitols. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Not really.
    France is utterly overpowered on paper. They can take it with just any casual army they have nearby. I've seen a full stack of prussian army lead by Blucher defeated by less than a 1/4 stack of french. It will cost them nothing.
    I also dont auto resolve against France, no matter how small the battle is. Even if you magically win you will lose insane amount of men.

Quote Originally Posted by sanis View Post
    Not really.
    France is utterly overpowered on paper. They can take it with just any casual army they have nearby. I've seen a full stack of prussian army lead by Blucher defeated by less than a 1/4 stack of french. It will cost them nothing.
    I also dont auto resolve against France, no matter how small the battle is. Even if you magically win you will lose insane amount of men.
    Interesting. Since this is my first game, I will have to see how my attack, loot and foster rebellion strategy plays out. France does not look overly powerful at the moment, but it is still 1805. From what I have read from others, France gets quite powerful over time.

The strange thing i have noticed with the french rebels is actually when they have taken a city sometimes i have seen that city become just a straight french city again and others it becomes a rebel oneI am not sure but take note of the name of the rebels when they spawn some will be called french rebels and others have different names. Just a guess but french rebels when they take a city become french cities and the rebels with different names i have seen livstonian (sorry probably not spelt right) rebels from ex french regions and when they took a city it stayed a rebel city

Heroes Hordes & beyond The official submod of KGCM (click the sig)

Yeah it depends what region it is. If it's a region that France can emerge from when previously destroyed then the rebels will be French rebels.

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Lol. Looting as UK is so fun.
    [Col] RO Citizen