Thread: [NTW AAR] The Cold Norse Wind - The Revival of Sweden

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default [NTW AAR] The Cold Norse Wind - The Revival of Sweden

It came in the cold new year of 1805 when Gustav IV recieved his revelation. In that revelation was the blunt fact that Sweden was a hollow skeleton of its once former glory. Have years of victories in accumulating land during and around the 30 Years' War all been for naught? Was Sweden destined to be in its decline forever?

The Swedish Kingdom was small, quite small, and Gustav hadn't really proven himself on the world stage. That would change soon. And now the King orders to claim lands from Mecklenburg and Oldenburg, the first step of quagmire, betrayal, confusion and being stuck between sides. Sweden's power will be tested. Gustav's goals and interests do not meet those of the Bonapartist Alliance or the Coalition.
    As the King readies his armies to fulfill his dream, to the South lies a world of hell, blood and death. If he can claim the Baltic as rightfully Swedish as his ancestors like Chrles XII did and succeed, perhaps Napoleon will be no trouble?
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; March 26, 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Pro-opera Jungian's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: [NTW AAR] The Cold Norse Wind - The Revival of Sweden

Neat idea! Will you have screenshots?

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

A nice introduction sir, looking forward to more from you
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Yeah! Sweden!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-opera Jungian View Post
    Neat idea! Will you have screenshots?

Yes, if I don't forget. And note that I only have MS Paint, so I won't have a whole lot.

Mecklenburg falls fast, then Hannover. However, while Swedish traders were sailling to the Americas to trade, they were excepted by Villeneuve, a French admiral. They withdrew to a large bay in Norway, a bad enough transgression that got worst when the French pursued the ships and massacred the Swedish sailors' ships, bring violence a little too close to Dennemark-Norway. The King the declares war.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Worse was the fact Sweden's military budget was too small and economic difficulties began, but no matter, the Swedes would fight!

As the Danes marched into Sweden, the Swedes did the same and landed to take Copenhagen.

The Danes are numerous, but General has a plan, involving the artillery he was given...
    The infantry are ready, but they'll be overshadowed by the artillery in this fight of musket vs. cannon.

The Danes continue

Even the cavalry can't wait to fight!

The enemy gets close enough for grapeshot!

Those Danes lost, and the fall of Copenhagen follows, but there are still issues in the Swedish homeland.

Yes, yes, I know, only the first picture is from the real battle, everything else are from custom battles, the real fight was last night but I forgot to take screenshots, so sorry.

Content Emeritus

I wouldn't worry, your screenshots are still wonderful, my friend. Looking forward to the next update!

Nanny de Bodemloze's Avatar Treason is just dates
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♔EmperorBatman999♔ View Post
    Yes, yes, I know, only the first picture is from the real battle, everything else are from custom battles, the real fight was last night but I forgot to take screenshots, so sorry.
    You are allowed AARtistic license good sir! After all, we know those aren't computer screenshots, but painted renderings done by artists traveling with the whores and other accompaniments in your army's baggage train. Sometimes, these bohemians even paint scenes after hearing of the battle by word of mouth, as they were not even at the engagement!

um, and all that?

Nanny

The Danes have penetrated deep into Sweden, but the Swedes led by Navn Rask respond and engage them near a village near Kalmar
    The Danes expected an easy march to Stockholm, so their army isn't as good as it should've been.

The Swedes start by send Jaegers to harass the flanks.

As customary to Swedish military tradition, artillery is used to scare off the militia as cavalry runs to attack the Danes' artillery, running into trouble with dragoons.
    Meanwhile, the Danes get boxed in by infantry from both sides and perform a unique trick.

The Swedes still overcome them.

Next the Swedes move to Norway, establishing the loyalist "Governance of Norway" for half of the Norwegians' income.

With Scandinavia unified, what next?

Content Emeritus

Nice AAR sir +rep.

I like how you liberated the Norwegians, big fan of the Scandinavians myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Luckylewis View Post
    Nice AAR sir +rep.

I'd hardly call it liberation, it's more like putting the weight of management on someone else's shoulders.

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Pretty good updates. Very good progress so far, and good luck with dealing with France when you get to them. Just one thing:
    donnot
    I think you meant: do not.

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

Nice AAR sir +rep.

I love how he liberated the Norwegians!

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerJohn View Post
    I love how he liberated the Norwegians!
    As I said, it's not really "liberating", just letting someone manage a part of the Swedish empire for you.

Dezi, I don't plan on attacking France directly, and soon there will be an unexpected change of events.
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; March 26, 2010 at 03:19 PM.

General Hoquist lands on the Dutch coast to remove one of Napoleon's key allies, the Batavian Republic.

Immediately they are attacked, despite a certain spy's efforts to delay their advance.

It starts out with a steamy Dutch rain, the General waits it out.
    ]

Finally, at dusk the next morning, he moves his forces, his artillery will occupy a hill to the right, the highest accessible point at this time.

To protect the artillery and some jaegers stationed in the house, Hoquist sends his hussars on both his flanks. Their heroic charge would be made into a military march based off of a Dutch march called "The March of Hoquist's Hussars".

The hussars on his right countercharge the Dutch dragoons, after they've broken through, the Hussars break through another line of infantry and finally reached the artillery.
    Once both hussars groups suceed in their objectives, they attack the Dutch central artillery battery. Those get cut down.
    By noon, the battle is over as a Swedish victory, off to Amsterdam for the whores, I mean victory!

Time has passed, Sweden has installed Puppet Governments in Belgium and Holland.

The New Dutch have declared war on France, and the armies of Marie-Anne Brune march on Amsterdam, however, he has overlooked Hogquist's army and proceded to Amerstand. The New Dutch army isn't prepared yet.

"I fear the Dutch can not hold themselves." Hogquist said.

The Dutch fail, and Anne-Brune thinks he has victory in his hand when the Swedish artillery bombard his French from behind as Hogquist's Hussars charge their guns. Anne finally notices and sends support to wipe out these now-famous cavalrymen. They withdraw to the line. The French are slightly battered when they arrive and are exhausted. Soon, the French rout, and Brune is killed and even the "brave" Old Guard retreat. Amserdam is saved and the Dutch are forever grateful of Sweden's efforts. Hogquist even becomes a national hero in the Netherlands.

King Gustav, after making peace with France, builds a navy and plots an invasion. He removes the Russian Kiwer shako from service in favor of the more traditional top hat, but last minute, he changes his mind, and gets in a short dispute with the Hessian states. They beg for peace and he accepts.
    Meanwhile, the French are about to land a force to invade Holland. Sure, the "New" Dutch are better prepared now, but Gustav feels he must act. So, he builds a fleet and sends it to attack Villenueve, the same bastard who attacked innocent Swedish merchants and started the "Norwegian Bay" incident, plunging Sweden into war with Dennemark.

The Second Franco-Swedish War breaks out, but who will come out victorious? Sweden or France?

dezikeizer's Avatar Campidoctor

Good update. Seems that the French won't leave you alone huh?

Content Emeritus

Your last two updates have been excellent, EmperorBatman999. The Dutch Region certainly looks busy.

Your last two updates have been excellent, EmperorBatman999. The Dutch Region certainly looks busy.
    It's funny how much the battles shift from one area to another.