Thread: Why does the AI...

Default Why does the AI...

Form like 10 stacks of 1-2 units each outside of all major cities? Why not just one full stack?

GTFO. Jamie's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: Why does the AI...

gotta say i dont often see this myself. Is this major nations you are seeing it for? Or minor? Or both?

I see this when nations are down to their last province(s), but not too prevalent.

-Joker-'s Avatar Semisalis

Yes i get this to

Thoragoros's Avatar Citizen

I get this, but only occasionally, but there is a reason.

The AI will, typically, only form its units into full stacks when they are either planning an attack, or see themselves as defending against an 'immeidate' threat, otherwise the AI likes to leave its units 'scattered.'

I don't know why this is, but this seems to be the AI's programming.
    Founder of The Great War - A WWI Mod, Creator of Thorized - Napoleon: Total Combat

Where Gods Walk Among Men
    The Line of Thor
    Patron of: Bethencourt, Hip63, m_1512

Under the Patronage of Captain Blackadder, Member of the Legion of Rahl.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoragoros View Post
    I get this, but only occasionally, but there is a reason.

The AI will, typically, only form its units into full stacks when they are either planning an attack, or see themselves as defending against an 'immeidate' threat, otherwise the AI likes to leave its units 'scattered.'

I don't know why this is, but this seems to be the AI's programming.
    If they're counting on mutual support (which works SO well for defenders, doesn't it?) it could be that they're covering a wider approach route, or multiple approach routes, while still being able to muster most or all of their strength against a raid.

When the AI spawns a new general, it likely recruits an army from barracks across its territory. If the general moves before his units arrive, these units will linger around the capital until the AI reorganizes them. I think that's why you see so many single units around capitals.

Lord Wiffleby's Avatar Decanus

I see the CAI do this every so often. I like to keep an eye on my enemy's movements, particularly around their capitals, which I consider to be the ultimate goals for my invasions. From my observations, I have gathered that the CAI is sorting these troops out and mustering them together into armies. The little scraps always seem to solidify by the time they move to invade, or are forced to defend. Smashmouth's explanation seems to be quite accurate as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    When the AI spawns a new general, it likely recruits an army from barracks across its territory. If the general moves before his units arrive, these units will linger around the capital until the AI reorganizes them. I think that's why you see so many single units around capitals.
    I tend to agree. If I have a spy around, and I have no armies near, I see almost all of the 'ordered' one-stackers move off to their general.