Thread: Handling Greenskins

Default Handling Greenskins

Great work on the mod so far. Im seriously loving it

However, I do have a suggestion with regards to how the Greenskins have been implemented. At the moment, at least in my mind, they feel too unified. I understand there is a distinction between Night Goblins and other Greenskins, and I appreciate that. However, I think they can be broken down into more competing factions, in the same way as the Empire or Chaos.

With more orc factions, you would be better able to represent the dual nature of orcs. On one hand, a WAAAAGH is truly terrifying (represented by oncoming army stacks from every tribe), even if it will soon break into warring factions when there is no clear objective. On the other hand, orcs do spend more time fighting one another than invading human or dwarven lands.

For example, the Yellow Eyes Tribe, and their Warboss, Grimgor Ironhide, might declare a WAAAGH against Altdorf. Joining them might be the Bloody Sunz, Da Broken Tooth Tribe, Ironskinz, Ironclawz, Da Red Fang Tribe, Da Bloody Tusk Boar Boyz, etc. Obviously, this many tribes is not necessary, a small number will do. After Altdorf is pillaged, the factions go back to beating on eachother until another WAAAGH is declared. In the meantime, the Empire may have rebuilt and recaptured Altdorf, mirroring what usually happens in the Warhammer universe.

It would also allow for some variation in Greenskin units, in the same manner as seen in the Empire (i.e. special units for different tribes).

I realise this might not fit in well to the theme of a Storm of Chaos campaign, and would necessitate a map edit (or expansion), so I'm not overly fussed. It is simply my hope that the modders keep this idea in mind if and when they decide to expand the game.

I apologise if this has already been brought up.

Blackomur89's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Handling Greenskins

Quote Originally Posted by Silvas View Post
    Great work on the mod so far. Im seriously loving it

However, I do have a suggestion with regards to how the Greenskins have been implemented. At the moment, at least in my mind, they feel too unified. I understand there is a distinction between Night Goblins and other Greenskins, and I appreciate that. However, I think they can be broken down into more competing factions, in the same way as the Empire or Chaos.

With more orc factions, you would be better able to represent the dual nature of orcs. On one hand, a WAAAAGH is truly terrifying (represented by oncoming army stacks from every tribe), even if it will soon break into warring factions when there is no clear objective. On the other hand, orcs do spend more time fighting one another than invading human or dwarven lands.

For example, the Yellow Eyes Tribe, and their Warboss, Grimgor Ironhide, might declare a WAAAGH against Altdorf. Joining them might be the Bloody Sunz, Da Broken Tooth Tribe, Ironskinz, Ironclawz, Da Red Fang Tribe, Da Bloody Tusk Boar Boyz, etc. Obviously, this many tribes is not necessary, a small number will do. After Altdorf is pillaged, the factions go back to beating on eachother until another WAAAGH is declared. In the meantime, the Empire may have rebuilt and recaptured Altdorf, mirroring what usually happens in the Warhammer universe.

It would also allow for some variation in Greenskin units, in the same manner as seen in the Empire (i.e. special units for different tribes).

I realise this might not fit in well to the theme of a Storm of Chaos campaign, and would necessitate a map edit (or expansion), so I'm not overly fussed. It is simply my hope that the modders keep this idea in mind if and when they decide to expand the game.

I apologise if this has already been brought up.
    Yous see there is a problem in this. While the Empire and Chaos factions are very diverse by lore the Orcs are not and we would have a bunch of orc factions with the same units but different names.
    2D artist for Call of Warhammer TW; 2D artist for Westeros TW; 2D artist and researcher for The Ruins of Arnor TATW sub-mod; 2D artist for Warcraft TW.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackomur89 View Post
    Yous see there is a problem in this. While the Empire and Chaos factions are very diverse by lore the Orcs are not and we would have a bunch of orc factions with the same units but different names.
    Very true. I'll have a think about this, and let you know if I come up with anything.

Well, Ive done a bit of research. I've found that there are at least 2 tribes that have distinctive units. More could be created, of course, but that would require additions to lore, rather than mere reference.

The first is the Yellow Eyes tribe. They would get Black Orc Immortulz (who, in the tabletop, are Immune to Psychology, and Hate everyone), and an Effigy of Gork (which was from the Storm of Chaos 'ardboys list). From memory, I think they made their home in the Northern Darklands. I could be wrong about that, of course.

The Bloody Sunz Boyz are from Warhammer Online. Here we have a plethora of options. Most obvious are the various squig types - Horned Squigs, Gas Squigs or Spiked Squigs. Theres also the Orc-a-pult, which I imagine is probably impossible to implement. In a pinch, they could possibly build the Wrecka, based on the appearance of the Choppa Class at high levels. The Bloody Sunz live in the south, near Karak Eight Peaks

The Mark of Chaos expansion (Battle March) has 3 different tribes with three different selections of units (Ironskinz, Red Eyez and Bone Breakaz). Of course, none of these units are unique to a tribe, but it could be a useful start. For example, the Ironskinz aren't able to recruit Black Orcs. They have a niche for Heavy Infantry that might be filled with unique units. Alternatively, their unique units might continue the theme of light units only, supplementing that specific strategy.

If this is something that you guys might be interested in, I'm sure it would be possible to create unique units for 1 or 2 more tribes.