Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chassuer a Cheval

Default Chassuer a Cheval

I don't get it, people have been saying that they are essential but they require so much micro that you can't focus on much of you army. I like them but when you do a hit and run they run dead front and center of the enemy and shoot a volley and reload in front of the enemy! They don't even bother to run away. Then you would have to run them all the way back.

And even though they are very swift if used properly the enemy could just hunt them down with Hussars or Lancers and they are dead. They seems absolutely pointless since they only have the ability to run like hell when they are in trouble. And what negates against them is much more than their bonuses, such as: 45 men, 80 range ( it not really that bad but its not worth how many guys you could lose if mess up), terrible at melee or defense, require a lot of micromanagement. They have some good things as well, but I don't understand how could they be "essential".

Default Re: Chassuer a Cheval

I personally never use them since line infantry are way better. Sure they are fast but they really aren't worth it. I would use Hussars or Lancers instead.

Drowsy's Avatar Senator

I usualy have mine in melee mode. They charge in, fire one volley and then start choppin heads

Or i place one unit stretched out behind my 2-3 arti pieces in battles where im on the defencive.

They are worth it because they can flat out beat all other cavalry of their class in melee if charging. Every man shoots his carbine during the charge, and seeing as it's going to be a close range volley a lot of enemy horses will fall. Coupled with their charge bonus and it takes a very high morale unit to withstand the first few seconds. Cuirassiers and the like can beat them, and Dragoons too, but just about anything else is toast. Hussars can outmaneuver them though.

I like the idea of having fire + charge. They fill a nice harassment role.

They are certainly not essential, just a light cav unit that fires from horeseback.
    It's also interesting to note that they are available from the start of the campaign.

one note tho: if they lose from dragoons, then they loose from just about every other cav unit out there? :p their own equals might be light dragoons or hussars but all other cav is stronger then?

They are probably the best cavalry in the game for chasing down routing infantry. They don't tire easily (good stamina) and can shoot fleeing infantry as well as cut them down making it a much faster process. They also have good base melee stats for light cavalry and can beat most other cavalry 1v1 by shooting a volley + charging.

The only downside in my mind is that they work best individually. If you have too many attacking the same target, they will hit each other with carbine fire.

I think they are a must have item in a balanced army. They can repel enemy cavalry on your flanks when held back as a reserve, they can smash units of militia or armed civilians incredibly easily if you launch them forward as well as artillery batteries and generals, and they will massacre routing units for fun, which gives them easy veteran levels, which gives them a fighting chance against other horse units.

If I use them to chase down routers it usually makes the difference between beating an enemy army and mauling it beyond all recognition.

Primicerius

They are alright on the battlefield, but I use them mostly as scouts for their 'paths seldom trod ability'. I fan out 3-4 units of chasseurs a cheval ahead of an advancing main army. Once the chasseurs have finished their move, they go into instant hiding anywhere on the map. That way, they are immune to any enemy counterattacks. The scouts can do many things (all of them nasty to your enemy), but the two most important are 1) spotting ambushes*, 2) raiding enemy's infrastructure and land trade with impunity.

* The spotting part works via the passing scout triggering an ambush attack by hidden enemy armies. Sure, you are likely to use the scout unit, but it is far better to lose one of them than the whole main army. On top of that, the ambusher will remain visible until the end of the turn, becoming vulnerable for a targeted attack by your forces.
    Last edited by Slaists; March 22, 2010 at 12:28 PM.

Chasseur a Cheval are very useful as reconnaissance and harassing units, but they require an unhealthy amount of micro-management to ensure that they don't end up slaughtering your own units with their ungodly powerful friendly fire.

For that reason, I tend to use them alone and only to guard my flanks and artillery from enemy cavalry. They are quite useful once the enemy is retreating since they cut through broken troops like a hot knife through butter.

I find they are worth the managing. Them and grenadiers are the ones I mainly try to make sure I always know what they are doing.

they are hussars on stereoids,and will beat majority ov cav in one on one.
    To be frank they are OP like crap,because they dont perform beter than hussars,but better than lancers also.
    If you think they are weak,you suck using them,plain and simple,and they dont req more micro than lancers.

There is a 2 ways of using them,as lancers and as hussars.

Hussars-artillery and routing units killers,self explanatory,excellent stamina,and fast,and while killing router,they are more efficiant as they will shoot and melee in a same time,thus finish routers faster.
    Lancers- the fact that all models in a unit shoot in a same time when charging,just before they touch their targets+charge bonus and good melee skill=killing pwnage+huge moral loss.So charge and rout,and if target do not rout,then withdraw,let them reload which they all do while moving(they dont need to stand to reload),and charge again ,while in the same time they have lot more staying power than lancers because of superior melee ability

ps-allways keep them in melee mode and fire on will
    Last edited by Dalmat; March 22, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Greetings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drowsy View Post
    I usualy have mine in melee mode. They charge in, fire one volley and then start choppin heads

Or i place one unit stretched out behind my 2-3 arti pieces in battles where im on the defencive.
    This!

And I always use them in pairs.
    The recruitment of Militia is illegal.
    Militia-recruiters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable laws.

yeah I also use them in pairs, but i've had several times that they had a hard time vs some strong hussars (although they got charged at those times), when it comes to melee stats they are on par with hussars but the mounted fire is indeed sweet.

One more reason to play as France? :p

Greetings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamw4lk3r View Post
    One more reason to play as France? :p
    Have still to try Russia and the Mounted Rifles...
    The recruitment of Militia is illegal.
    Militia-recruiters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the applicable laws.

The only two to fire from horseback... mjeh, i'd try russia for the different playstyle (melee) + unicorns but I can't be bothered with that nation of peasants

but the problem comes in multiplayer when you play without artyllery. I play with a friend in 2v2 and when 6 chasseurs come to one side to just harras my flank is so difficult to not let then destroy your cav...specially if you n like using melee (specially heavy) cav...

so annoying...

Your own fault if you don't get any artillery, I would say…

Dileos's Avatar Decanus

Stick them in Melee mode, flank, charge, and forget about them. Thats the beauty of the Chassuer a Cheval, they're cheap to recruit and do their job well enough. Take 3 units and send one in at the begining of the game to mess with your enemies maneuvering, then send the other two in to flank once the actual combat starts. If they die they die.

Chasseurs a Cheval + Lancers = My dream cav force...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast