Thread: Regarding unicorns

Decanus

Default Regarding unicorns

Simple suggestion

• Take away their sniper fire ability, give increased rate of fire ability to get rid of their guided missile targeting system and represent historical feature of Russian artillery having the highest reload skill among European nations.
    • Increase their accuracy to 35 for 20lber and 45 for 10lber to balance lack of accuracy a bit.
    • Reduce their cost to 900s for 10lber and 1200s for 20lber because of reduction of their effectiveness.

imho, problem with overpowered unicorns solved.

Default Re: Regarding unicorns

Yeah but that would mean that we would see more unicorns among spammers. That's the only thing that the anyone who plays as the Russians do, bring only unicorns, why would else would want to be the Russians? They are terrible at shooting and increasing accuracy and bringing down the cost is a bad thing. Howitzers do fine and still kill like so many guys without this ability.

Going through with that idea is still giving them the sniper ability since increasing accuracy and they outrange all other howitzers. And the unicorns already have the largest shells than any other howitzer or artillery. This would be practically turning the unicorns into a attack helicopter.

The best suggestion I've seen to balance out unicorns (and howitzers in general) is to only allow them to target an area (like the 'attack ground' command), not a specific unit. That wholly eliminates the ridiculous 'guided missile' feature of all indirect fire weapons, and brings them more in line for their actual purpose; which is to simply force a unit to move. Everything else about unicorns/howitzers could stay as is. A player who camps in place will be punished severely by indirect fire, while a player who stays on the move will be more difficult to hit. It also means that using indirect fire weapons would require more micromanagement than they currently do, and for me that is part of the appeal as I feel that currently indirect artillery is far too simple to use (with cannon you always need to be worried about uneven terrain, or shooting your own troops in the back; not having to worry about any of that makes the shorter range of howitzers a small price to pay).

Have all Russians wear one, as opposed to bicornes or tricornes--

Oh, yes, I'm really funny--

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

unicorns are perfect the way they are. dont change anything with their abilities except targeted fire. only change their price if necessary.

Aeneas Veneratio's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Unicorns are fine in SP, at least. If they are going to change anything to them, make it so the changes will only affect the unicorns during MP gaming.
    R2TW stance: Ceterum autem censeo res publica delendam esse

Unicorns are fine, I dont know why people moan, so they kill stuff, every unit is as deadly as the next in the right hands... (A.K.A not my fumbling paws)

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Quote Originally Posted by xxoverlordxx View Post
    why would else would want to be the Russians?
    Russians fit my style of play almost perfectly for reasons including, but not limited to, unicorns.

Why I love Ruskies:
    - Unicorns (would be crazy to deny it)
    - Solid morale line infantry. They are terrible shooters so it's one volley then bayonet charge. Incidentally, this fits my style of play totally. I hate prolonged shootouts, I prefer to solve the problem with bayo charge.
    - Bad or nonexistent light infantry and snipers - I hate them anyway, and usually don't know how to use them. I morally support the faction that's not using these cowardly troops
    - Lancers - cheap, expensive, beards, moustaches, you name it.
    - Edit: forgot to add: militia that is actually good at melee (reloadaing skill 5, but solid charge and melee, that's militia to my taste)

So, I play Russians for reasons other than Unicorns, although Unis are certainly welcome. Without the Unicorn advantage Ruskies would be very poor faction to play. Other factions have their own advantages, Ruskies have theirs.

And to reply to the original poster, I don't think they need any changing.
    Last edited by Samsonov; March 23, 2010 at 11:59 AM.

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Samsonov View Post
    Russians fit my style of play almost perfectly for reasons including, but not limited to, unicorns.

Why I love Ruskies:
    - Unicorns (would be crazy to deny it)
    - Solid morale line infantry. They are terrible shooters so it's one volley then bayonet charge. Incidentally, this fits my style of play totally. I hate prolonged shootouts, I prefer to solve the problem with bayo charge.
    - Bad or nonexistent light infantry and snipers - I hate them anyway, and usually don't know how to use them. I morally support the faction that's not using these cowardly troops
    - Lancers - cheap, expensive, beards, moustaches, you name it.
    - Edit: forgot to add: militia that is actually good at melee (reloadaing skill 5, but solid charge and melee, that's militia to my taste)

So, I play Russians for reasons other than Unicorns, although Unis are certainly welcome. Without the Unicorn advantage Ruskies would be very poor faction to play. Other factions have their own advantages, Ruskies have theirs.

And to reply to the original poster, I don't think they need any changing.
    good post. i love playing the Russians. I was getting owned last night by a bunch of French Fusiliers. My musketeers were dropping like flys. So i said "screw this" and charged. Routed the whole French army. Russian bayonets FTW!

I always keep 2 units of Jagers in each army i have. They are handy for harassing the flanks!

Soveriegn's Avatar Miles

Saw a Russian army last that would have done considerable damage as it had literally all line inf types and cav-problem was that he just wouldn't engage, just kept falling backwards. Must not have wanted to stand and shoot, but didn't see the melee ability
    Fight for Old Glory!