Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Most Fustrating Things So Far

Stildawn's Avatar The Legislator of 'Lol'

Default The Most Fustrating Things So Far

What your most Fustrating things so Far...

Mine... Naval Autoresolve....

It annoys me no end when the AI blockcades trades/ports with one Frigate... That in itself is not the problem and is fine... What is the problem is that when I send my fleet after it... My fleet with at least 4 1st Rates etc and more support ships...

That if I autoresolve for some bizarre reason I always seem to lose 1 or more ships (And those ships are bloody expensive).... And sometimes its my more valuable ships.... This is just odd... What the hell does Autoresolve do.... When if you play the battle yourself its basically impossible short of putting the anchor down and turning fire at will off to lose to one Frigate....

So im forced for every little pointless battle to go in a fight it myself which 9 times out of 10 I blow the lone frigate up with one broadside taking little to no damage at all....

GGRRRRRRR!!!!

Default Re: The Most Fustrating Things So Far

I agree with yours that is something that really cheeses me off while playing Napoleon. Difference is I accept that I'm going to lose a boat or two because I don't enjoy playing naval battles at all. The most frustrating thing for me though would be just the over passiveness of Great Britain, especially in the naval department. The Royal Navy should be stomping around the English channel with impunity but instead they spend the whole game blockaded at London while villeneauve does what he wants.
    Theirs not to make reply,
    Theirs not to reason why,
    Theirs but to do and die.
    -Alfred Tennyson

hey buddy they WANT you to play those naval battles ... c'mon there is even a medal for 10 wins!
    Men are nothing, One Man is everything.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

its bloody annoying thats what it is.. I dont mind playing naval battles, but at least ones where its not so clear cut.

just kidding. agree with you. sometime the other is so weak he retreats. than you attack again and still lost a couple of four rates to a frigate. something wrong in the formula.
    Men are nothing, One Man is everything.
    - Napoleon Bonaparte

Here's my small list:

1. Suicidal AI generals.
    2. Lack of unit situational awareness.
    3. 'Magnetic' Chevau de Frise -spellcheck-.
    4. AI Infantry squares versus infantry.
    5. BAI lack of 'proper' tactics.
    6. Horse limbers on foot artillery.
    7. Artillery calibration -too high at the moment-.
    8. Reinforcement system.
    9. Too few troops/formations -Grande Armee with 800 infantry, a couple hundred cavalry and a dozen cannons!?!
    10. Elite unit limits for Grand Campaign.
    11. Lack of LoS marker for artillery based on terrain elevation.
    12. Sieges.
    13. Super rebel stacks.
    14. Chasing routed units all over the map. It doesn't have to be that tedious, really.
    15. One-stack AI armies roaming around the map.
    16. Big maps, low unit count. Really, with these map sizes we get 20 'blocks' to play with at most?
    17. Backstabbing allied/trade agreement CAI's.
    18. Limited scope and focus of Grand Campaign.
    19. Scripted mini-campaigns a la RTI.
    20. Single province Spain.

Phew! Maybe more will follow...

What do you find annoying about the re-enforcement system?
    I like this a lot more than any of the previous systems - especially empires.

If all those things annoy you as much as my pet hate annoys me I wouldnt play the game anymore... lol... Yes there are plenty of things that you would like for the "Perfect" game, but I was meaning the one or two small things that for some reason just bug you no end lol.

Drip-feeding one unit at a time is not what I would call 'good practise'. If you're fast enough, you can find where they are coming from and simply rip reinforcing AI stacks apart. All it takes is two or three horse artillery units to take care of them.

The adviser & interface settings constantly re-setting.

Chyeaaaa111's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyvale View Post
    Here's my small list:

1. Suicidal AI generals.
    2. Lack of unit situational awareness.
    3. 'Magnetic' Chevau de Frise -spellcheck-.
    4. AI Infantry squares versus infantry.
    5. BAI lack of 'proper' tactics.
    6. Horse limbers on foot artillery.
    7. Artillery calibration -too high at the moment-.
    8. Reinforcement system.
    9. Too few troops/formations -Grande Armee with 800 infantry, a couple hundred cavalry and a dozen cannons!?!
    10. Elite unit limits for Grand Campaign.
    11. Lack of LoS marker for artillery based on terrain elevation.
    12. Sieges.
    13. Super rebel stacks.
    14. Chasing routed units all over the map. It doesn't have to be that tedious, really.
    15. One-stack AI armies roaming around the map.
    16. Big maps, low unit count. Really, with these map sizes we get 20 'blocks' to play with at most?
    17. Backstabbing allied/trade agreement CAI's.
    18. Limited scope and focus of Grand Campaign.
    19. Scripted mini-campaigns a la RTI.

Phew! Maybe more will follow...
    I agree with most as being small problems, except for the ones I listed below:

10. Well for historical units obviously you can only have one. And for units such as the Old Guard, I believe it makes sense as they were limited in number, plus makes them even more special and gives them an "elite feel." If you could spam stacks of Old Guard, they wouldn't feel elite anymore.

14. Once you have routed all the units, click end battle.

16. This is rather opinion, and I am with you, but its still an opinion. Not really anything wrong with the game. In fact, I've seen many people who say they like it the way it is, as it would be far to complicated and require too much micromanaging for their tastes

18. Well, it is NAPOLEON: Total War. Therefore it would make sense to focus on where Napoleon went and fought his battles.

19. Same as #18.

20. Spain has 4 regions, not one. In ETW they only had one region, which may be what you are confusing it with.

Last edited by Chyeaaaa111; March 22, 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    If you like the picture of my woman, GIVE ME REP!!!!

yeah I would like to see bigger units. NTW is apparently the same, hardware demanding wise, so maybe our computers have been upgraded since the year or two ago ETW was released. So surely they can put in bigger unit sizes? Like bunk every size up and include a size which is more historically accurate Our computers can deal with it, honest!

Quote Originally Posted by emforce View Post
    yeah I would like to see bigger units. NTW is apparently the same, hardware demanding wise, so maybe our computers have been upgraded since the year or two ago ETW was released. So surely they can put in bigger unit sizes? Like bunk every size up and include a size which is more historically accurate Our computers can deal with it, honest!
    But for the majority, this is not a viable option. And that is why we have the beautiful world of mods to tweak every little detail to each individuals liking

Check out the mod section, there are already several mods released that address this issue

Protector's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Nastyvale View Post

Thats not true:

Spain got
    1x north east province
    1x north west province
    1x main province
    1x island (Mallorca)

Ergo Spain got 4 provinces !
    Last edited by Protector; March 25, 2010 at 09:34 AM.

Something that is annoying is that damn advisor in battles. He's so annoying and you can't turn it off, sometimes it is useful like when your general is under attack or something. But when he points out the obvious it is irritating, I'd rather have someone shout in my ear that you're losing. That would be more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by xxoverlordxx View Post
    Something that is annoying is that damn advisor in battles. He's so annoying and you can't turn it off, sometimes it is useful like when your general is under attack or something. But when he points out the obvious it is irritating, I'd rather have someone shout in my ear that you're losing. That would be more helpful.
    He can most certainly be turned off.

Try taking just one ship that outguns the AI ship and then auto-resolve. I used this in Empire and it got around the bug. Haven't tried it in Napoleon. But in Empire I just kept one Heavy First Rate in whichever port the AI was fixated on and auto resolved easily.

Try taking just one ship that outguns the AI ship and then auto-resolve. I used this in Empire and it got around the bug. Haven't tried it in Napoleon. But in Empire I just kept one Heavy First Rate in whichever port the AI was fixated on and auto resolved easily.
    Ill give that a try who knows it might work... It just cracks me up how much the autoresolve is on crack when it calculates these battles...

Yep, I stand corrected about Spain's number of provinces
    @ Chyeaaaa111: Trampling down broken units has been more or less a 'tradition' since the days of Takeda Yari cavalry formations having a 'meaningful and appreciative conversation by means of a long polearm' with routed troops. Ideally charging down a hill.

Besides, I'm not really a fan of having to chase broken army stacks all across the campaign map to stop them from destroying my infrastructure or being a PITA.

The Grand Campaign could have been structured differently. Let me elaborate on this one:

Start at Toulon. Scope and number of turns similar to the Italian scripted mini-campaign. Said mini-campaign could also be used as a tutorial. From then on, Italy and Egypt are 'infused' in the GC which starts about 1800 all the way to 1815 or a decade later. If you ask me, the problem begins when the Napoleonic Era/Wars get separated from the French Revolution.

Ideally, there could have been an early/late era setting in ETW. Early could start at 1700 while Late right after/during the American Revolution, keeping the same 2 week long turns. Longer scope, more 'meat' to sink your gaming fangs into. Day dreaming I know but IMVHO such campaign/timeline structure would have improved ETW/NTW considerably.

Whats frustrating me so far is like the TS, autoresolving naval battles. I dont like the naval fights. Even a full stack versus 2 enemy ships you loose 2 or 3 ships yourself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast