Thread: Continents in Conflict: Napoleon - The Tacticians mod

Default Continents in Conflict: Napoleon - The Tacticians mod

Continents in Conflict: Napoleon

As some of you may know, work has started on Continents in Conflict: Napoleon. This mod is a gameplay altering mod, but will also include new factions, graphics and, if map-modding becomes possible, new theaters of war.

Here are some of the changes that we hope to make:
    • The column will be made into an effective tool of war. This will be achievied by slowing down battle speeds - movement speeds, musket lethality and kill rates will all be dropped. Their will also be larger bonuses for using the column. Units will also rout earlier - no more fighting untill 90% casualties.
    • Artillery systems will be completely remade - more artillery units will be made and the major factions will all be given unique artillery rosters.
    • Larger land unit rosters.
    • General bug fixes - over-strong rebels, wrong minister portraits etc. will all be fixed.
    • Land unit stats between different factions will be varied to more accurately reflect the differences.
    • Campaign map changes - defeating a large army on the map will now have a larger affect, a single army can now effectively campaign through an enemy land.
    • Shrapnel shot will be brought back.

Work is well underway on this mod, but we really need more modders. 2-D artists, researchers, startpos editors, anything and everything basically!

If your interested in joining, just post here.

Watch this space for more info and give us any ideas that you would like to see implemented
    Last edited by T.C.; March 27, 2010 at 06:30 AM.
    My Tools, Tutorials and Resources

Was running out of space, so see the full list here!

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Icewolf's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Continents in Conflict: Napoleon

sounds good please no fire by rank though... i dont understand why everyone is obsessed with it... i much prefer 2 rank mass fire

EDIT: or if you are planning on changing it, give us an option for it or not so i dont have to not try this mod out just because it has fire by rank

Augment's Avatar Senator

I like the idea very much, although im skeptical.

Quote Originally Posted by Augment View Post
    I like the idea very much, although im skeptical.
    In what way?

Well most of it will be optional, so the player can decide for him/herself what firing drills s/he would like

Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick to one thing till it gets there.- Josh Billings
    The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.- George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by -TopCat- View Post
    • Campaign map changes - defeating a large army on the map will now have a larger affect, a single army can now effectively campaign through an enemy land.
    How will this be brought about? Enabling reinforcement in enemy land? Reducing casualty rates? Increasing movement speed? I am curious...

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Can you add the American and Indian theatres?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Quote Originally Posted by whynaut View Post
    How will this be brought about? Enabling reinforcement in enemy land? Reducing casualty rates? Increasing movement speed? I am curious...
    Well casualty rates wiont really affect this. The rate at which a unit disintegrates will now be much higher. ( so no more defeating a full stack thats in your territory and then having to chase afetr a stack of units made up of 10 - 20 men)

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo2006 View Post
    Can you add the American and Indian theatres?
    At the moment we cant, but we intend to if map making becomes possible.

I may have a look at specific units for rebels of certain areas, Spain, Tyrol, Ireland, etc...

Thoughts?

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

Default Re: Continents in Conflict: Napoleon - The Tacticians mod

hey all,
    We've just finished reducing musket kill rates and morale ratios - firefights are now longer affairs with the chance for some intelligent manuvering ( i.e. if you move a unit from the line of battle to a flank, the fight wont be over when it arrives.)
    Morale is also set so that units no longer fight until they are at 10% of their original strength - its now a much more realistic 40%. Units that are in a battle line are also likely to fight longer than those who stand alone.

Has anyone any comments/suggestions on this?

JohnnyDestroy's Avatar Libertus

hey all,
    We've just finished reducing musket kill rates and morale ratios - firefights are now longer affairs with the chance for some intelligent manuvering ( i.e. if you move a unit from the line of battle to a flank, the fight wont be over when it arrives.)
    Morale is also set so that units no longer fight until they are at 10% of their original strength - its now a much more realistic 40%. Units that are in a battle line are also likely to fight longer than those who stand alone.

Has anyone any comments/suggestions on this?
    Sounds good so far. Have you done any changes to how likely a unit is to stop routing to reflect that they now root sooner? Or is it self-balancing perhaps?

Also, what large bosuses for using columns do you have in mind? Sounds interesting.
    "-Are all men from the future loud-mouthed braggards?
    -No. Just me, baby. Just me."

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDestroy View Post
    Sounds good so far. Have you done any changes to how likely a unit is to stop routing to reflect that they now root sooner? Or is it self-balancing perhaps?

Also, what large bosuses for using columns do you have in mind? Sounds interesting.
    Well they dont rout "sooner", as musket lethality has taken a serious drop. But morale has taken a massive overhaul, so a unit is more likely to stop routing if it routs in the direction of friendly units rather than in its own time.

Well column formation is improved in the following ways:
    1. The morale bonus for it is improved largely.
    2. Musket lethality is dropped at long ranges, but increased at short ranges so a column has a better chance of reaching the target.

On a side note, the AI defines a column as a unit deployed 12 files wide. Ive seen it use it thanks to these new changes, and the men on the outside files of the column will fire if given a chance.

Well they dont rout "sooner", as musket lethality has taken a serious drop. But morale has taken a massive overhaul, so a unit is more likely to stop routing if it routs in the direction of friendly units rather than in its own time.

Well column formation is improved in the following ways:
    1. The morale bonus for it is improved largely.
    2. Musket lethality is dropped at long ranges, but increased at short ranges so a column has a better chance of reaching the target.

On a side note, the AI defines a column as a unit deployed 12 files wide. Ive seen it use it thanks to these new changes, and the men on the outside files of the column will fire if given a chance.
    I like it. In particular the part where troops wont just flee straight through friendly lines all the time, because that's made me scream at the screen more than once.

Another question; roughly how much do you plan to cut movement speed? I'm asking because in ETW, I often found that some mods made it too slow, trying to mimic real life movement, while not accounting for game balance. My own preference is to cut it by 10-20% at most. Your thoughts?

Again, keep upp the good work, it sounds like it's going to be a fun mod.

I dont think we can change were units rout to, so I think its gonna have to stay as is for the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBunny666 View Post
    I dont think we can change were units rout to, so I think its gonna have to stay as is for the moment...
    Yeah, but the thing that got me excited was the comment about troops being more likely to stop routing if they do happen to go in the direction of friendly troops.
    What I currently scream at the screen is; "No, stop running! Can't you see how confident your friends are? Can't you see how MANY they are? Noooo!"

Ok, I get what your saying now, yes dont worry, troops near friendlies will be less likeley to run/ continue running, unless the friendlies are...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDestroy View Post
    I like it. In particular the part where troops wont just flee straight through friendly lines all the time, because that's made me scream at the screen more than once.

Another question; roughly how much do you plan to cut movement speed? I'm asking because in ETW, I often found that some mods made it too slow, trying to mimic real life movement, while not accounting for game balance. My own preference is to cut it by 10-20% at most. Your thoughts?

Again, keep upp the good work, it sounds like it's going to be a fun mod.
    Its currently at 75% of vanilla which is just about right, in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by DoomBunny666 View Post
    Ok, I get what your saying now, yes dont worry, troops near friendlies will be less likeley to run/ continue running, unless the friendlies are...
    Yes, and troops are more likely to fight until they have high casualties if they are in the line of battle, wheras if they are isolated they are more likely to panic and run.

Just a quick update, at present we are changing artillery and buildings, anyone interested in testing the new building strengths please send me a PM or message me on Steam...