Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naval Warfare Tutorial

Default Naval Warfare Tutorial

As with Empire, I see a lot of posts about people ignoring the naval conflict aspect of the game and just using auto resolve. IMHO this is a shame as the naval warfare is the best part of the game. The purpose of this tutorial is to give a very basic explanation of how to beat an equivalent AI fleet on normal difficulty with results better than auto resolve (and more fun too), without needing to micromanage a fleet to death. Remember also that these are basic tactics. If you want to take down a smart human player or kill a SOL fleet with three frigates you'll almost certainly have to do something more complex.

1. Fleet Composition.

Unlike land warfare, with its varied terrain and different unit types, naval warfare is generally on an open ocean with various sizes of floating artillery batteries. Therefore, to take down a standard AI fleet the composition is pretty straight forward - more ships than the enemy, and heavier ships than the enemy. Generally, the toughest AI opponent you'll face is a late-game British fleet, which will typically consist of four 1st-2nd rates, and the rest 3rd or 4th rates. To take down a fleet like this I like to use three 122 gun ships, and the rest 74 or 80 gun ships. Your 74 or 80 gun ships are the best balance of firepower and sailing qualities, but lack the sheer firepower and armor of heavier ships. 1st and 2nd rates, by contrast, have the armor and firepower but are hard to maneuver. Generally, I think that you want at least half of your fleet to be 3rd rates for two reasons: (1) you don't need more than a few heavy ships to take down an AI fleet; and (2) the extra speed of 3rd rates is helpful once the enemy routes and you need to chase down ships. Otherwise naval battles could take a long time as your fat 122 gun ships try to chase down something.

tl;dr version. Build 3 122 gun ships and 7 80 gun ships. If you have a crap naval power like Russia or Austria, build 10 of your best ships (80s or 74s). If you have England, just add 80s to Nelson's starting fleet.

2. Tactics

Since the terrain of water is basically flat, and your only real environmental factor is the wind, the basic strategy is to isolate part of the enemy's fleet and kill it with superior firepower. What we're going to do is isolate the van of the enemy fleet (i.e. the lead ships) and kill it before the rest of the fleet can help. Since the AI puts it heaviest ships and Admiral in the van, this will cripple them beyond their ability to recover.

A. Set-Up

To keep things simple we'll arrange our entire fleet in line astern formation, using round shot, and keeping fire at will on (the default settings). This will allow us to control the entire fleet without micromanaging. We'll use tactics instead of micromanagement to line up our shots on the enemy. The only tricky part here is that if you just click on the line astern formation, the computer will auto-arrange your ships how it wants to, always placing your admiral in the first ship. Ideally, you want your admiral in the third ship. The first two ships tend to take the hits, and the enemy is reloading when the third ship passes, keeping your admiral safe (FYI, this is why I like three 122 gun ships, the first two to tank, the third with the Admiral). So line up the ships manually, and then group them all as one group. Then press the start battle button. Once the battle has started, you can then click on the line astern formation and the ships will move into formation but keep the order that you placed them in (i.e. heaviest ships up front, admiral in the third ship).

B. Head Straight Towards the Enemy

Since we're keeping it simple, we're just going to go straight at the enemy fleet. The AI will always bite on this because it basically wants to sail parallel to you and just exchange broadsides.

C. Opening Phase

The AI will drift to one direction or the other as it closes, allow it to do so and sail parallel to the enemy fleet until your lead ship reaches just before the midpoint of the enemy fleet (i.e. the fourth ship in a full stack enemy fleet).

D. Breaking the Line

Now you want to turn your line to break the enemy's line. Start your turn just before the midpoint because it takes a little while for your heavy lead ships to make a turn, especially if the wind is against you. If you start turning right after you pass the fourth enemy ship, you should end up passing just after the fifth or sixth enemy ship. As your ships break the line, you should get some nice raking shots.

E. Isolate the Van

Having broken the enemy line with your lead ship, turn your line back towards the lead enemy ship. Basically, you're creating a U-shape around the lead enemy ships allowing all of your ships to shoot at half of their ships. Once you sink or route the heaviest enemy ships (including their admiral), the battle is pretty much won.

F. Clean Up

While you are concentrating on the enemy van, your fleet is also taking shots at the trailing enemy ships as you cross through their line. Thus, by the time you finish with the van, the trailing enemy ships are fairly shot up as well. At this point either just loop your line back towards the enemy rear, or detach individual ships and just line up shots by micromanaging. I know I promised no micromanagement, but by this time things are pretty chaotic and it may be easier to simply line up shots with individual ships rather than trying to maneuver a whole fleet. Also, this is where those third rates will shine as you chase down routing enemy ships.

Default Re: Naval Warfare Tutorial

This is a pretty solid tactic in many naval battles. Good writeup.

I always like to have at least one or two rocket ships in my fleets if I can though because I find that their ability to destroy the enemies largest ship early is often useful. However, rocket ships don't always perform as expected and sometimes end up being a waste, but when they work it's quite satisfying.

This is pretty similar to what I use except I have two lines coming on both the enemy's broadsides. I use my heavier line to cut the enemy's line and the lighter line to clean up the smaller enemy ships.

A key element in Naval Warfare Under Sail is the use of the wind.

Having the “Weather Gage” (wind at your back) is what most of us try to do. It slows the enemy and makes them less maneuverable.

The diagrams of the OP show basically a cross wind battle.

There are other ways to use the wind to your advantage, though.

If you find your self attacked by a stronger fleet it can be to your advantage to sail a course that allows the enemy to use full sails to close on you, because then, you can use chain shot to dismast them.

This is also best accomplished by crossing the “T” of the enemy fleet.

If you are facing an AI opponent, this can be tricky. The AI knows what shot you select. To best accomplish surprise and to best time your shots simply follow these easy instructions.

Select your intercepting group of ships, then deselect the fire at will. When the enemy ships are within your firing arc and in range, quickly select chain shot and reactivate fire at will.

After you have damaged the leading ship, or two, it is still not time to close on the enemy line.

In the perfect situation you perform a U-turn away from the enemy but back parallel to your own line and continue to damage the leading ships while avoiding their full broadsides.

Should the enemy turn into the wind and drop their sails, immediately switch to round shot.

Judge the situation with caution. It may be better to move out of range of the enemy and try your approach a second time.

It may also mean that the enemy becomes strung out and some ships may drop from the line of battle to be picked off individually.

These tactics work best if you have faster more maneuverable ships against slow heavies but can be effective against most fleets.

Positioning your fleet to make use of the prevailing winds is more important than having or not having the Weather Gage.

TheBlobThing's Avatar Semisalis

Thanks for the beginners guide. Although I usually win in naval battles (against AI), I'll probably try your tactics too and see if I can do so more effectively.

+rep cookie for you!
    Disclaimer:
    The above are my current opinions and are liable to change according to mood, time of day, degree of sleep deprivation endured and/or level of inebriation.

Very useful guide. I used to win naval battles fairly reguarly in ETW but they seem more difficult in NTW. I can see my problem now is that I was not using enough heavy ships (one 1st rate and a crapload of 3rd rates). My lead ships would sink very quickly and it was just chaotic jumbled mess from that point on.

Anyone find a use for carronade frigates? I like the idea behind them but they are pretty fragile.

yeah there already is a naval thread on this site but it's good to see others use the same fleet composition (a few heavies, many 3d rates etc)
    I use the same tactic as a193 with it.

Nice thread btw!
    And fotchimus: I read about another guy here who used bomb ketches and carronade frigates to defend them, bombing them from afar forces the enemy to come to you where the short range carronade frigate can be used, I still haven't used those ships as I said in the thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=341225 but i'm building a frigate+Bomb ketch+carronade fleet to try it out...

I was not pleased with carronade frigates in E:TW tho, too weak and available too late... by looking at the stats and the build time of carronades in napoleon I fear the worst tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Fotchimus View Post

Anyone find a use for carronade frigates? I like the idea behind them but they are pretty fragile.
    There are only two real uses for frigates: (1) attacking undefended trade fleets; and (2) dealing with minor powers in eastern Mediterranean. Frigates are pretty useless against SOLs, unless you want to suicide them (i.e. sail them right into a mass of SOLs and hope they explode and catch things on fire, I did this with those useless frigates in the Trafalgar historical battle). FYI this is historically accurate as frigates shined in the colonial theaters, not in Europe with hundreds of SOLs around. This is one reason why as a naval enthusiast I don't like the Europe-only theater. In Empire when frigates became obsolete in Europe you could send them to America or India and they'd be useful.

I think you would find a couple of heavy frigates useful in most battles.

But never put them in the line. These are your hounds. You use them to nip and run and chase down the routers.

They can get in fire a salvo of chain and get out.

Not having them is like going to battle without a pistol. You don’t always need it but when you need it, it can be a life saver.

They are never obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hue View Post
    I think you would find a couple of heavy frigates useful in most battles.

But never put them in the line. These are your hounds. You use them to nip and run and chase down the routers.

They can get in fire a salvo of chain and get out.

Not having them is like going to battle without a pistol. You don’t always need it but when you need it, it can be a life saver.

They are never obsolete.
    Trouble is that you only get 10 slots in Napoleon rather than the 14 in Empire. With only 10 slots I don't like giving up two SOLs for frigates. Third rates are fast enough to catch any routing ship of consequence, as routing ships will generally route for a while then turn and fight.

Our tactics are different enough to make the difference.

I don’t like to close on undamaged ships.

I try to fight my battles without the loss of any of my precious ships.

Using the British tactics of close and hammer it out is fine if all your ships are significantly superior but you still sometimes lose ships.

I usually use two to three groups dependant on speed and I use shorter lines to give the group better maneuverability. I try to use an elongated “S” pattern away from the enemy line so that they come to me, usually under heavy sails.

I send the frigates in to slow the leading ships then I turn away with that group and meet them with my third rates. They may or may not close on the enemy line. The slower 1st and 2nd rates may get a rake on the enemy before closing in but by then the enemies line is move at the rate of their slowest ship still in line.

The frigates can do a wide pass and take on the damaged ships without much fear while the SOLs tame care of what is left of the line.

If the first rates break the line, the third rates form the other arm of the “U” a head of their line.

That is my basic plan. But like any battle plan there always comes a time when you have to play it by ear.

There are definitely lots more strategies that work. I'm simply trying to give one very basic strategy that works in the majority of instances. I see lots of people posting that they don't get naval battles and just autocalc them. IMHO that's a real shame.

If you really want to delve into naval battles I'm sure there are lots of clever strategies to use. And while I do use others, I happen to prefer this simple one because I love seeing those ships go at one another in high def. Nelsonian tactics make for great theater. True, I may lose a couple of ships, but I usually capture enough to come out ahead. In my last game I was particularly good at capturing ships. I got enough English and Spanish SOLs to even form their own battle fleet.

Last edited by happycynic; March 22, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Naval Battles are indeed as interesting and possibly more thrilling than the Land Battles.

This is an important thread and presenting simple tactics that others can grasp is also my aim.

There is no disagreement. I have used the same tactics you describe. I was only trying to present so variables and simple alternatives after they have digested your original post.

And, Nice Fleet!

waaah happycynic, what r you doing with that puny 64 cannon ship :'(.

Was it a conscious choice to give the admiral a normal 1th rate instead of a heavy 1th?
    Nice fleet indeed, but my nelson pwns it... what's nicer is your battle map haha, i'm close to that but with britain... too bad bf:bc2 is taking most of my time nowadays, the naval battles is what makes this already great series to one of my most-loved ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamw4lk3r View Post
    waaah happycynic, what r you doing with that puny 64 cannon ship :'(.

Was it a conscious choice to give the admiral a normal 1th rate instead of a heavy 1th?
    Nice fleet indeed, but my nelson pwns it... what's nicer is your battle map haha, i'm close to that but with britain... too bad bf:bc2 is taking most of my time nowadays, the naval battles is what makes this already great series to one of my most-loved ^^
    I just put that fleet together for the photo. In game those ships are spread out amongst 2 major fleets with a few extras that have no home, like the 64 which just guards my main commercial port. Pfft. As if I'd put a 64 in a real fleet.

i use i different tactic and every time it effetivly rolls the enemy ships into a tangled ball while my ships blow the hell out of em . i use 4 heavys up front of a sinlge line then 80's and 74's as has been said the ai wants to trade broads with you . Fine let em at 1st
    i sail my line so that i can go down there line then sharply turn on there tail end hit there rear ships fron there rear <massive morale killer> then sail up there other side . the ai fleet will try to turn to fight you but will almost always end up in a tangled ball of ships in the middle of you now U shaped attack line . the result 9 times out of 10 is total carnage and a desisive victory for me

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstar View Post
    i use i different tactic and every time it effetivly rolls the enemy ships into a tangled ball while my ships blow the hell out of em . i use 4 heavys up front of a sinlge line then 80's and 74's as has been said the ai wants to trade broads with you . Fine let em at 1st
    i sail my line so that i can go down there line then sharply turn on there tail end hit there rear ships fron there rear <massive morale killer> then sail up there other side . the ai fleet will try to turn to fight you but will almost always end up in a tangled ball of ships in the middle of you now U shaped attack line . the result 9 times out of 10 is total carnage and a desisive victory for me
    I tend to use this tactic a lot too, though be aware that it won't work very well if the enemy line is too long. It depends on your frontmost ships being able to take hits from the whole enemy line.

Quote Originally Posted by bkhl View Post
    I tend to use this tactic a lot too, though be aware that it won't work very well if the enemy line is too long. It depends on your frontmost ships being able to take hits from the whole enemy line.
    aye thats why i use 4 heavy ships up front the heaviest i can build 106's early on and later the 122's they take the pounding and the smaller ships follow up . alot of the time after 1 pass just before i turn my line at his rear 1/3 of the enemy ships have surrendered

first rates (incl heavies) aren't available/affordable for every nation from early-mid game :s but yes going along and then cutting into their line is one much used and effective strategy it can get quite dangerous vs a strong fleet and when you don't have the wind on your side tho...

Very sound advise. I play Russian campaign (late game) and finally got decent fleet to challenge a Spanish fleet and hopefully dominate the Middeteranian Sea. And, this should help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast