View Poll Results: Shall this member pass?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 90.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Abstain

1 10.00%

Thread: PASSED][Artifex] koultouras (patron: Legio)3/28/10

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Content Emeritus

Default PASSED][Artifex] koultouras (patron: Legio)3/28/10

Client: koultouras
    koultouras
    Why i want to be a citizen:

I would like to be nominated for the citizen(artifex) badge under the generous patronage of Legio....
    My willing to be an artifex is based upon the following reasons
    I have been a TWC member for a considerable time and during the last 4-5 months
    i got involved into several (sub-)mod developing teams and developed further my skills ...
    I am considering my nomination for artifex-badge not as way to distinguish my
    self from other members , or to feel superior of them but as rewarding gesture
    of my constant efforts to learn all about modding and to help with
    that knowledge the modding community as well

My work
    FROME (TATW submod probably released on 3/20/2010): Leader/Modeler/Skinner/Coder/2d artist/Scripter
    TROA (TATW submod): modeler
    Middle-Earth Lore TATW submod - v0.4 updated 3rd of March 2010
    as modeler of the eregion smiths and partly as coder
    VOA(TATW submod): beta tester

I also have came into contact with these teams DAC & TGC & Patria Libera and will probably offer my services into the near future as modeler

What I will do as a citizen:
    Keep modeling/coding/skinning and helping newcomers to start getting into this fascinating hobby
    Helping members to solve their problems as already done before(http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...07#post6762407 &
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...73#post6779873 & http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...59#post6704859)
    Help maintaining a polite and civilized manner of behavior to
    new members as ive already done in the past(http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...64#post6572164)

Concluding i would like to express my gratitude to Legio
    for his patronizing offer and the Curia for taking my nomination
    under consideration

Kind regards
    Koultouras (Yiannis Stogiorgis)

Patron: Legio
    Legio
    Koultouras is not only a great modder, as you can see by clicking the links in his application, but he also carries a stellar attitude on the forums. He is always ready to help and he is very, very humble- qualities that are extolled as being present in the perfect citizen we all strive to become. I personally encountered him several times in my sojourns into the TATW forums before I asked to patronize him, and also as a beta tester for his FROME submod. He is always available for help eradicating a bug or CTD, and is a cheerful modder. One might even compare him to our jovial heroes of Middle-Earth, having competitions on how many bad guys and beasties they can slay in one night! He is one of the most deserving people of the badge that I know.
    Last edited by Viking Prince; March 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: fixed client link

Viking Prince's Avatar Horrible(ly cute)
    Patrician

Default Re: [Artifex] koultouras (patron: Legio)

[user][/user] has been disabled.

fixed it for you!

<3
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.
    Post a challenge and start a debate
    Garb's Fight Club - the Challenge thread

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagar_the_Horrible
    As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I am a bit on the fence with this one, Yes or abstain. He seems to be a steady contributor, helpful member. I will go a bit deeper in to all of his actions but i would like to read what my fellow CdeC members have to say on this candidate.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I don't know... I'm leaning toward a no... to me anyway, the work identified doesn't seem to stack up in comparison to the sorts of levels of other modding citizens, he's been modellor on some sub-mods for TATW... and that seems to be about it. (Or am I missing something)?

Content Emeritus

Modeller and coder. Modelling is a vital part of the mod, and it is arguably the most challenging part of Total War modding- no, it is the hardest part of modding. Koultouras does his modelling very well, as you can see with his FROME and other links in his application, and he does it in a timely fashion. He is also a mod leader, which shows that he is capable of organizing and holding a team together. He helps out in other mods, which shows that he has a passion for modding and he does it well.

Please look at this line:

FROME (TATW submod probably released on 3/20/2010): Leader/Modeler/Skinner/Coder/2d artist/Scripter
    Not only does he model well. He is capable of skinning his own models, which is an invaluable asset to any modding endeavor. He can code and script, and I have played his FROME already- the coding there is good. The models and skins look just as good as King Kong's original TATW units, if not better in some cases.

He's also helped out beta test the Vale of Anduin submod, which was recently released. Not only did he beta test, but he helped sort out any discrepancies in the UV mapping between the skins and models in the aforementioned submod.

His attitude is nothing short of stellar; he is friendly and very easy to contact. He has never had a disagreement with another member and he is always willing to help out, no matter what.

That is why I think he deserves the badge. I don't usually write mini essays on anything here on TWC, but the fact that I have done so here should show how strongly I feel about him. He really deserves the badge.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

POLL ADDED
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    The models and skins look just as good as King Kong's original TATW units, if not better in some cases.
    Wait, did he make all the models for his mini mods, by himself?
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Content Emeritus

Yes, he did many of them.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    Wait, did he make all the models for his mini mods, by himself?
    Quote Originally Posted by Legio View Post
    Yes, he did many of them.

Hmmm? Yes, he made all of them or No, he only made some of them.

So which ones are his? Are at least some in each mini mod? Work with us Legio -- you know we want to vote yes.
    Grandson of Silver Guard, son of Maverick, and father to Mr MM|Rebel6666|Beer Money |bastard stepfather to Ferrets54
    The Scriptorium is looking for great articles. Don't be bashful, we can help with the formatting and punctuation. I am only a pm away to you becoming a published author within the best archive of articles around.

Weighing into threads with the steel capped boots on just because you disagree with my viewpoints, is just embarrassing.

As you journey through life take a minute every now and then to give a thought for the other fellow. He could be plotting something.

As VP said, it's a bit difficult to figure out how many and which of those units were created by him. More information would be appreciated.

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Ruins of Arnor is unreleased, so that can be relegated for now until the work is made available. He didn't link to his unit for the Lore mod, but I've located it. See here. The unit is certainly of exceptional quality, though it is currently unreleased as of the latest Lore Mod version. I'm willing to make an exception here due to the proven release schedule of the mod, and make the assumption it will surface in the near future, though one model is still one model and probably won't terribly sway a vote one way or another.

It seems like his contributions to FROME are the most significant. The mod attests to 35 new units with models/skins, which are displayed in the three posts following the OP. As to how many actual models and skins were made, that would be harder to ascertain as with all artistic works. A few units are existing units mounted with different equipment, models are sometimes re-purposed, and in M2 units generally have multiple skin derivatives for each unit. Regardless of any of that, what's really important is the battlefield presentation of these released units, which seem to constitute a large amount of variations and new work of very good quality. This does not include other managerial or coding contributions, which add into the overall product.

I think that even if only half the models and skins could be attributed solely to him, when coupled with his general involvement it's sufficient enough for the rank of Artifex. I would recommend that the units be looked at in their game context, insure they work, etc, since the key is of course working game elements rather than hood ornaments, but I expect they are in perfectly working order and implemented sufficiently.

Regarding Legio's sentiment that modeling is the hardest aspect of modding TW games, that's true in some respects and untrue in others. It's the most exclusive, because it requires the most external tools as well as some talent for art and spacial recognition, which is why modelers are in such high demand. Whether that makes it more 'difficult' depends, since I know plenty of Modelers who'd not want to try and balance an AI or write scripts, so it really depends on the talents of the individual. It is correct to say that it's the most specialized of the modding pursuits, with the possible exceptions of video production and animation.

Last but not least, I will again note the significant point of interest here, which is that the units are released work. We've had applicants not pass in the past with a similar amount of work, but the difference is all of these units are available, whereas many other applications include work that is still undergoing development and has not seen the light. Anyone who references these threads and is in this situation should be encouraged to find ways to get their completed works to the community sooner, such as releasing a resource pack or templates or doing some work for mods with a quicker release model. There's nothing wrong with working on a massive mod that takes time before being released, but in terms of getting Citizenship sooner that's contingent upon getting your work to the public.

I will be voting Yes on this application unless I find something contrary to my current estimations.
    Last edited by Augustus Lucifer; March 23, 2010 at 03:12 PM.

Content Emeritus

bam^

Patrician

I think I will vote yes as well. Thank you Augustus Lucifer for your delving into the models and reporting your observations. Very helpful for me.

aja5191's Avatar TWC Bearcat

Yeah, this is certainly shaping up to be a yes from me.

A bit more research and I'm sure it'll confirm my suspicions

Looks OK to me, voted Yes.
    The House of Wilpuri ~ Proud Patron of: The Noble Lord & Sumskilz

After AL's post how could I not? Candidate looks good, voted yes.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

AL has convinced me. Yes.

Nikos's Avatar VENGEANCE BURNS

PASSED
    Learn about Byzantium! http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Toward-Warfare
    Civitate
    ,Ex Content Writer,Ex Curator, Ex Moderator

Proud patron of Jean=A=Luc
    In Patronicum sub Celsius