Thread: I think I get Naval Battles now (and I think you can get them too!)

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Default I think I get Naval Battles now (and I think you can get them too!)

A revelation has occured to me

Naval Battles are a bit neglected in the forums, as many people cannot/do not want to play them, as they don't understand the rules of conduct and are very often thrashed by the AI. Common 'solutions' are always-autoresolve policies and/or always attacking enemies with needlessly large fleets.

However, I have suddenly thought of a simple piece of advice which, so far (when I've tried it) has done wonders for my skills at sea:

Think of them as Land Battles

The Ships of the Line and larger 'Rate' ships are your line
    The Bomb Ketches and Rocket Ships are your artillery
    The smaller 'rate' ships are your light cavalry
    The steamships are your heavy cavalry

Think of the side of the map the wind is entering from (i.e. with a west-blowing wind, think of the east edge of the map) as the high ground, the most important part of the field. Try to keep that edge in your control

Match your line up against theirs and engage, but move up your 'artillery' behind the line or to the side and bombard them

Send your smaller rate ships (light cav) to go do whatever you do with them on land, i.e. send them to the 'high ground', go round the back of the enemy line and harass, and chase down/cut off fleeing/isolated units (ships)

Send your steamships against the wind. This manoverability (they are not affected by wind direction) allows them to use the 'field' (ocean) in ways other ships cannot. Use them to harass enemy weak points and attack the enemy from areas they do not expect (the areas that go against the wind)

Now, as for tactics, I cannot suggest anything, but now that you think of the field as a Land Battle, all of your manouvering tactics on Land translate quite well. Obviously camping on the 'hill' won't work as well at sea, but other than that, it has done me wonders!

British-Bulldog's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: I think I get Naval Battles now (and I think you can get them too!)

Some very nice advice there! You have enlightened me indeed. Now I can rule the waves as Britain! . +rep for you my good man
    "History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it" - Winston Churchill

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

A man who thinks outside the square no less, bravo
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Be aware that in Sailing Battles having the wind allows you the choice of attack or defense.

Normally not having the wind at your back makes you the defender in normal situations. But it also allows you to disengage at will or even set the sight of the battle.

It is not always best to have the wind if you are going against a wiley player.

This is part of making the elements or terrain work in your favor. Learn what you can do down wind as well as up wind.

Primicerius

If you're playing against the AI, sail/set your ships upwind, arrange them in T relative to your AI enemy and put them on anchor. Wait. The AI will sail straight into your T.

It does not matter whether the AI is defending or attacking. Works in both cases.

Now, playing against a human. That's a whole different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hue View Post
    Be aware that in Sailing Battles having the wind allows you the choice of attack or defense.

Normally not having the wind at your back makes you the defender in normal situations. But it also allows you to disengage at will or even set the sight of the battle.

It is not always best to have the wind if you are going against a wiley player.

This is part of making the elements or terrain work in your favor. Learn what you can do down wind as well as up wind.
    1. A ship upwind turn faster
    2. can disengage any time
    3 AND something about most players ignore: shoot better (better range bc of wind - if the shooting line its downwind)
    So, yes, always on my MP i try to win the "upwind" position, and all pro players on MP will do that.
    I almost never loose a MP fight (on the genuine game) so.... i know what i say... i have 9 stars on the genuine game, what its max., and I win 8 of 9 on naval, so.... few guys on MP naval are skilled, and all are vets... and all we LOVE MP NAVAL bc here are nothing better on the market, still.... thinking shogun 2 was a tremendous fiasco on naval...

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    If you're playing against the AI, sail/set your ships upwind, arrange them in T relative to your AI enemy and put them on anchor. Wait. The AI will sail straight into your T.

It does not matter whether the AI is defending or attacking. Works in both cases.

Now, playing against a human. That's a whole different matter.
    lol, u wrong my friend, AI this days are much smarter, will engage your T line by an oblique approach , making your T line useless... Naval fight, even vs AI (on hard ) are always a dinamic strategy, not a "wait on anchor"....
    Last edited by Gigantus; February 15, 2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: merging multiple posts

Quote Originally Posted by assistec24 View Post
    lol, u wrong my friend, AI this days are much smarter,
    You realise that the post you're responding to was written almost 2 years ago and, very probably, before the Naval AI tweaks added in the later game patches?

Naval battles are mostly about angles. If you can keep the enemy in the angles of your guns and keep out of his angles then you will win. Yesterday I beat a 38 gun ship with a 18 gun sloop. It takes a lot of micromanagement but especially with fast turning ships you just keep making tight turns until you can hit the ship with a broadside, without getting return fire from the enemy ship, and then if your actually turning towards the other ships guns just turn back the other way, or zigzag away to make it harder for the enemy to get an easy shot on you. With a lot of ships it takes a lot of pausing and micromanagement but its doable.

Crossing the T is good. But even better is a curving line. For example an upside down T coming from the right side and curving around to the left side. You get a shot at the rear right, the stern, and the rear left. Then you curve away. 3 salvos to zero. Of course in most cases the enemy is not just going to be sitting there . So you need more speed ..preferably with the wind.

If you just sit there and trade salvos with the enemies ships, or take a parallel course with there ship your going to take a lot of damage.
    Last edited by dbgager; March 05, 2012 at 06:16 PM.