Thread: A important discover about melee bug.( And a solution)

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default A important discover about melee bug.( And a solution)

When I try to make a movie to promote my mod, I use columns and others fancy things,when I note the enemies close, I quickly place my troops. But a strange thing happens. Yes the melee bug comes back. I never noted it in this game and in Empire just a few times. Then I try a normal battle as I use to play,with the formations set in the beginning ,and no bug.

So,I reach to a conclusion,to prevent it, we should place the troops at the start, and made few strange movements ,at least close the enemy troops.

Buged

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Not Buged
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by pajomife; March 20, 2010 at 02:30 PM.

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: A important discover about melee bug.( And a solution)

Interesting

However, it would be ill-advised to make movies with the AI, as, though sturdy, it is prone for not doing what you want

This was coincidence, Im justing put the columns in two lines and march untill I reach the combat front, but when I align they just in front of the english army , the enemy simple dont stop walking, and when they reach the charge distance ,they charged. I only note this now because in normal game or testing my mod I use the start deployment to engage in combat, with few tactical changes.
    In Napoleon this bug is almost irrelevant , but in Empire could be moded to reduce it.
    Last edited by pajomife; March 20, 2010 at 04:47 PM.

Have you created a mod for this? If I'm understanding you correctly, your mod forces the AI units to deploy in column formation? Is that correct? Does it lessen melee bug?

What he's saying is if you set up and advance your forces the way the computer "expects" you to, the BAI will act more intelligently. If you set up or advance in an unorthodox way, the BAI acts less intelligently. It's a data point to be sure, but that wouldn't be a particularly surprising observation for any kind of human-AI interaction.

I think that the AI acts like a mirror, but the melee bug is barley noted in Napoleon, if we dont make a weird movement the AI acts very well.

Quote Originally Posted by metenojo View Post
    I think that the AI acts like a mirror, but the melee bug is barley noted in Napoleon, if we dont make a weird movement the AI acts very well.
    I beg to differ, I use my normal tactic of placing Line Infantry and Grenadiers hand in hand and in front of them a row of skirmishers to harass advancing enemy Lines while Cavalry tries to flank. However, halfway the battlefield I halt my infantry to wait for the advancing enemy and shoot them.

I expect the enemy to stop once in range and take the first shot, then to return fire and once shot a couple of times, flank or charge. Instead they don't stop, they keep moving, some doing a very thin Fire and Advance which obviously fails and then they still charge.

The entire AI code is messed up and I hope a good mod to fix the AI will come out soon, or is one out already?
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

The actual AI mechanics are hardcoded. Mods can't change the laws by which the AI operates, but instead can fiddle with the stats so the AI mechanics work better. It always makes me go cross-eyed when a mod advertises "BAI fix" since that's like saying you fixed the laws of physics by making the car lighter.

There are some files in mods who change some distances, like the charge stance to cavalry or infantry,with some more tweaks we can really change the game,I give you a example, if you reduce a lot the cavalry speed when they walk, this will prevent to reach the attack point much before the infantry and it prevents they charge alone.

cpdwane's Avatar Domesticus

I've always found that the best way to get rid of the melee bug is to put the unit sizes on normal. Yes, the units are smaller so the battles are less realistic, but it does get rid of the melee bug every single time.

__________"Ancient History is my Achilles' Heel"___________

Yeah it seems the AI gets confused when you have alot of units, it seems they don't know what to attack first...

If you add ranks to the big units (my 300 men use 5 ranks )this have the same effect,the width of the army keeps ,more or less, the same.