Thread: Peninsular War DLC expansion very possible?

RO Citizen's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Peninsular War DLC expansion very possible?

Sorry if this has been talked before, but I just saw, in the data.pack file, 4 factions that are currently in no campaign: spa_britain, spa_france, spa_spain, spa_portugal. Notice the prefix spa, that means that they'll be in a separate GC (just like ita, egy, tut). The dreams of Spanish TW players might come true?
    [Col] RO Citizen

LuckyLewis's Avatar Loutre
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Peninsular War DLC expansion very possible?

I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Peninsular War would be the DLC like war path campaign was for Empire, especially considering the lack of regions in the current map for the Iberia Peninsular, which could be expanded in the DLC.
    Muh signature is so out of date all muh pictures died.

Nice find.

I do hope they release a Peninsular War DLC. Recreating Sharpe, eh?

That said, in Empire there were about 4 or 5 Historical Battles (such as Culloden) complete with descriptions and voice introductions buried in the files, but nothing came of them...

This looks far more likely, however.

That said, I wish they'd just make Rome 2.

I just wish they would work on a peninsular war campaign - would be the best expansion campaign by far for NTW, stuff Rome 2 (i never did have much interest in ancient warfare sorry).

@ ottomanfan

Don't make me get the Praetorians on you!

Ah the Praetorians, protecting whoever pays the most, now wheres my bag of coins...

Shoot coward! You are only going to kill a man!

I wonder how they would deal with the line of forts that was set up by Wellesly?

(yus channeling the Sharpe TV programmes there!)
    Para Todos Todo, Para Nosotros Nada. - Subcommandante Marcos
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

if they released it as a DLC im not gonna buy it , DLCs are a supid thing and will ruin gaming experience

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by garudamon11 View Post
    if they released it as a DLC im not gonna buy it , DLCs are a supid thing and will ruin gaming experience
    Why?

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pacha View Post
    Why?
    Although I can't speak for garudamon, many say DLCs are an incentive for developers to leave items out of the initial release (for example, all the unit DLCs released for ETW and NTW, which could hypothetically be in the game upon release). I can see their point, but I have no problem with DLC featuring a whole campaign. I can't wait for a Peninsular War DLC myself.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pacha View Post
    Why?
    because i spent money to buy this game , supposidly a FULL game , DLCs are expensive for no reason and they make multiplayer games very unfair , the peninsular camapign should either be merged with other future ( hopefully not happening ) DLCs to become an expansion or be a free patch

Ordinarius

quite sure

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

OK I still disagree on some points but now there are points to discuss.

DLCs are expansions/add-ons & this is nothing new in the gaming industry. All games have their add-ons. DLCs are cheap, less than $10 unlike most of the boxed addons. ex: all ETW DLCs combined cost less than the Kingdoms expansion.
    Also, ETW and NTW are indeed complete games, you don't need any DLC to play them.

That being said, I too find a bit "annoying" (lets keep it classy) that I have to pay more to improve the main game with new cool units. That is because, by seeing all the incredible stuff done by modders for FREE, CA (& of course SEGA) realized how much money they were losing by making "open" games like RTW & Med2, 2 games that, with time & talent, fans could rework completely & create new campaigns & units.

Imagine how much money they could have made if Third Age, Broken Crescent (new campaigns) or Europa Barbarorum, Stainless Steel (new units & highly improved game) - include your fav mod - were not FREE mods but actually DLCs that only CA could develop. I would have paid for those, and so do you, right?

So, that's why the ETW engine & therefore NTW does not allow any space for complete modifications. Also, the STEAM update system makes quite hazardous the (IMO partial) mods that you can develop &that are limited to the vanilla map & then world.

The conclusion is that the DLC system is a way to make money instead of letting fans do it for free - which is, in marketing terms, losing a market & potential income. Even if I dislike that (I abandoned a mod project because of it) I have to admit that the only way to have total modifications & then new campaigns & content, is to buy the DLCs. They're quite cheap (a few dollars/euros) so It's not such a big deal. So, in the end you & me, we'll buy them anyway.
    Even if we pretend not to

What bothers me & many others is that now we have to wait for CA to play new campaigns, which was not the case with RTW & Med2 = want a LOTR campaign? Create Third Age! Want to play in medieval Orient? Create Broken Crescent!
    Now, if I want to play American Civil War, Risorgimiento or Peninsula War... It's up to CA not to the modding community . THAT really sucks but still doesn't prevent me to pay for DLCs.
    Last edited by Big Pacha; March 20, 2010 at 02:58 PM.