Thread: Yet Another Person Whose RTW Won't Work...

Necromancer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Yet Another Person Whose RTW Won't Work...

Just a heads-up - I'm using my mobile phone to post this, as I'm out right now. I tried to separate all of the paragraphs. But, in case they aren't, I appologize for any confusion.

Okay, I let my friend borrow my copies of RTW and M2TW about a month ago, as he plans on buying them sometime in the future.

Anyway, I began to re-install Rome and it would get to about 99%, then the disk drive would just stop, and a message window would pop up, asking if a certain file existed. So, after two or three tries, I took some isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) and thoroughly cleaned each disc, even though they were all in okay shape. I then tried renistalling it - it worked! But, when I launched the game another window popped-up which read "An unexpected error has occured. Rome - Total War will now exit".

So, I was just wondering if someone would mind giving me some advice. I've been told that I have a gift for electronics, but I'm no expert - I'm a musician - and I don't wanna screw around with my computer without having someone who knows their stuff telling me to do so.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Yet Another Person Whose RTW Won't Work...

If you get the message after you installed the game, most of the time it's a bad install. In between the time of getting to messages the first time and cleaning the discs, did you uninstall what you had before trying to install it with the cleaned discs?

Necromancer's Avatar Campidoctor

Well, that's the thing. I never actually installed it before I cleaned the discs. I had to cancel out of the setup and restart it. After the second or third try, I cleaned the discs. Then it worked okay, except for the game launch.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Since your discs are now good, the best advice is to totally uninstall, and reinstall from scratch. Something is missing or it would not do that on a new install.

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

Can you let us know which file was missing during the install process?

Also, can you confirm that these are official CA discs?

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here