Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: --- Preview of Eriador & Arnor ---

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: --- Preview of Eriador & Arnor ---

Have you ever seen how Vault Wardens pwn Goblin Infantry?

When used right, pikemen are superb against infantry

c'mon, I see Arnor&Eriador perfectly balanced

OfficerJohn's Avatar Domesticus

I think we should wait with judging how balanced they are till after this has been released...

Arnor and Eriador, yes. Arnor by itself, not as much. Pikemen are effective against some infantry (even though they shouldn't be able to use their pikes on someone 2 feet away from them, but that's a different problem) but are difficult to get into position and completely vulnerable to missles. Isengard's pikemen/crossbow combo would be difficult for Arnor to counter since both of these units have relatively good armor values.

The advantage of most AP units isn't that they beat individual units by themselves, it's that they soften up the enemy and grind away at stronger units. I find Isengard's reavers to be weak 1 on 1, but are great at allowing the standard infantry to acheive an advantage over time (and are far more mobile than the pikes).

I'm willing to wait and see, but based on my campaigns so far I see this as being a potential issue down the road.

Ellin Athinaios's Avatar Campidoctor

I'm qurious, will Arnor still have access to the Hobbit units?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Mail Coif This is normal and I think it can't be avoided, furthermore these are cinematic editor shots, you will never get that close to the unit to notice these.
    It can be avoided but it means putting polygons where no one can see them when playing the game. Which is completely pointless.

eregost's Avatar Primicerius

Amazing texture work. We love you guys
    Rep me and leave your name and I promise on pain of death to rep you back!

JOIN THE RTW ALL HUMAN MULTIPLAYER HOTSEAT CAMPAIGN HERE!

So there will be no grey company anymore? Always liked them. (Not the original look but reskinned they could have been awesome..)

Well, I guess the members of the Grey Company are mounted battle-ready Dunedain if you look at how they are described in the book: chain-mail, long spears and grey cloaks (Though I also thought that the hoods were somehow fitting).
    Last edited by Hermes Trismegistos; March 21, 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Yes, you are right. (Somehow i managed to miss the cloaks of the battle ready dunedain <_<)

You could also rename the Battle-Ready Dúnedain to Grey Company.

Nice job.

But what about AP-unit with shield for Eriador \ Arnor roster? I means, not with 2HD axe but with axe and shield like dismounted huskarls. Or possibility to have access to dwarf unit in brothel \ inn buildings. Basis: 1) Eriador have 2 land trade ways: West & Green. 2) according to the LoR & Hobbit, in late 3d Age Dwarfs were used trade ways, especially West way, & were not in conflict with the Bree’s inhabitants.

Sorry for my English. Its not my native language.

Ozzmosis's Avatar Domesticus

[QUOTE=Helgy;6997159]Or possibility to have access to dwarf unit in brothel
    I don't know what sort of brothels you go to, but... whatever floats your Númerramár!

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzmosis View Post
    I don't know what sort of brothels you go to, but... whatever floats your Númerramár!

Thanks for making me laugh

Aguirre's Avatar Decanus

coulnt be better! you guys are amazing! the picture of the "dismounted" battle ready dunedains is missing, will they have the same awesome roundshields? and what, a sword? frickin great

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

No they carry a 2H bastard sword (longsword)

Positives:
    Beautiful work, especially the B.R. Dunedain, Dunedain archers, Greenway, etc.... I'll hate to lose them when Arnor is reborn, but the Arnor knights might make up for it .

Minor concerns:
    The bandits and woodsmen look a tad clean for their lifestyle, though it may be the difference in texture quality from those mentioned above.

I like the Merchants, but the ground troops breast plates possibly meld with the undershirts a little closely (as they lack the edge shading to give the illusion of depth). The mounted ones have the majority hidden under the fingered mantle (the decorative neck piece), which hides it well.

The lack of shading is also present on the leather tassles of the sleeves on the Arnor archers. A very minor issue, but the lack of depth is more noticeable when say compared to the striking images of the Dunedain Ranger's armor (very high quality).
    -----
    I really look forward to seeing them all on the field.

Utterly stupendous work! My favorite unit must be the Arnorian men-at-arms. I'm very pleased to see the winged helmet concept being implemented finally. They look just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Lux View Post
    Just one thing, I'm not completely sold on the horse's head 'wings' I think it would look better without it.
    Thought of this as soon as I saw the unit. I'm surprised others seem not to be bothered.

carth's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
    Utterly stupendous work! My favorite unit must be the Arnorian men-at-arms. I'm very pleased to see the winged helmet concept being implemented finally. They look just perfect.

Thought of this as soon as I saw the unit. I'm surprised others seem not to be bothered.
    don't think this is a real pain. and for my part. i think King Kong has a right to make some units HE likes. i'm already happy that eriador is re-done.
    "By the blood of our people, your lands kept safe."

Quote Originally Posted by Kikka View Post
    I don't have a problem with them. They could be a little bit smaller, that's all.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Aesthetically they already don't look very good, but my main problem with it is that they don't fit with the rest of the horse's head gear, it's not a well integrated design