Thread: Attribute level for generals

Default Attribute level for generals

I was wondering what does it take to get some stars on your general.
    Problem is, my general 'Kutuzov' doesn't advance past 5 stars. He fought countless battles from turn 1: heroic, decisive, up to 3 battles in 1 AI turn and even some with 100:1 kill death ratios. This man is a true hero, liberator and conqueror. Makes good use of his men, wastes nothing but takes everything.

Now i come to believe its my playing style:
    1. I hold back for a while and let my arty do the talking.
    2. I dont charge with my line inf. until the last moment i usually get them to rout before that with my grenadiers. Never used column formation for attacking either.
    3. Never used cavalry for breaking enemy lines, use mostly for killing arty, killing generals and routing.

While my playing style is very preserving it appears not to advance my general.

Default Re: Attribute level for generals

Strangely i have found you are more likely to increase your generals stars and abilities by autoresolving battles with him. If you play all your battles then for some reason he doesnt get advanced.

Still waiting on my NTW copy, but one thing I noticed in ETW was that certain traits were more likely to appear for your generals if they personally engaged in hand to hand combat. I always did this by using the general's bodyguard to help my cavalry clean up the field. Usually once his bodyguard got an experience chevron or two he'd get the "corporal in gold braid" trait and one other.

That's one possability that might add some stats to him. I've also seen a lot of people here saying that certain generals need certain army compositions to "level up." For example, Murat was a cavalry leader so in NTW you need to have Murat commanding a force mainly of cavalry so his cavalry strong traits come out. I have no clue about that though, just offering as I've seen it a bunch.
    "Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance."

-GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I see this too in my campaigns. In the first campaigns my generals are staying behind hills to be save of cannons ect. but then i never get traits. Let them attack while the battle is going on is bad, but if you let the general kill enemies which escapes of the battlefield thant you get experience and also traits with a moral boost. Items like a horse or something strange like the moonstone seems to be radom. In general i think the system was in empire more plausible.

Proud to be a real Prussian.