View Poll Results: Is this win?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Y

36 58.06%
  • N

26 41.94%

Thread: Campaigns of Bolivar: Expansion Pack?

Icon3 Campaigns of Bolivar: Expansion Pack?

Rather than rehash India or the US, what if we had an expansion pack based on the wars for South American independence from Spanish rule? Picture this: the year is 1816. After having been a prisoner of Bonaparte, Ferdinand VII of Spain foolishly ignored the call for reform, tore up the liberal constitution drafted in his absence, and tried to re-assert the old regime in the New World. Players go as Simon Bolivar and/or Jose de San Martin, march through jungles and mountains, fighting off royalist garrisons, native revolts, and what have you.

Capture the royalist HQ of Lima and live happily ever after. If it was that easy, South American would be one country and not a dozen. Having thrown off the Spanish, revolts spring up like mushrooms to throw off the dictatorship of Bolivar. Player can, of course, only claim victory if he controls enough of the territories he liberated.

- South America has yet to be covered in any TW game. Sure, Spanish colonies were present in ETW but how much action really took place there?

- These wars took place very soon after the Napoleonic Wars, with a main character who was a professed admirer of Napoleon. The weapons and tactics will be very similar but fought in an exotic location. Natives will be back to fight against European-style armies, alongside possibly slave revolts. Haven't figured out what to do with Portuguese Brazil yet but it could be interesting.

- Again, chances of revolt across this campaign should be HIGH ('clamor for reform' perhaps). We're talking about a region itching for liberal reform just to be ignored by the Spanish crown, now being 'liberated' by a guy making himself dictator. Just as with Napoleon and Waterloo, the player should not so easily succeed where Bolivar failed.

Default Re: Campaigns of Bolivar: Expansion Pack?

Sounds cool, I would buy it.

TheAussieDigger's Avatar Ducenarius

i would probably be more interested in a peninsula campaign DLC but id still probably get this too. easily second best of the suggestions so far

Quote Originally Posted by TheAussieDigger View Post
    i would probably be more interested in a peninsula campaign DLC but id still probably get this too. easily second best of the suggestions so far
    Well I was really going for something more similar to Napoleon's Italian or Egypt campaign rather than the Europe GC. For one, I know there's not going to be that many factions. See the thing with the story-based campaign system introduced in NTW: it allows for smaller campaigns, character-driven and centered, which were interesting but not big enough to be a Grand Campaign.

In other words, picture this: NTW: The Liberators Expansion Pack:

a) Toussaint Louverture Campaign
    b) Wellington's Peninsular Campaign
    c) Bolivar Campaign

Nice idea, but I wouldn't buy it. I like sandboxes, the bigger the better, not smaller story driven campaigns. TW is about taking history and going from there. And, but that's personal, I don't care much for the Spanish, seen enough of them in Kingdoms.
    Last edited by Gezoes; March 19, 2010 at 02:38 AM.

Nex Sui's Avatar Libertus

Sounds great, write it on CA forum

Sounds like a good idea, I would definitely buy it

Much as I'd love to see South America fully represented in TW, I believe the Bolivar campaigns by themselves might be a little thin for an expansion... Compared to the Napoleonic wars, there would be a lot less troop variety, and conflicts would be much smaller. Also, the political aspects would have to be deepened a bit.

I suppose a better way to represent SA would be to include all countries and events from the Bolivarian campaigns, through the War of the Triple Alliance, all the way to the War of the Pacific (So, roughly 1815-1885). It could be a 2-turn per year or 4-turn per year campaign, thus closer to E:TW than N:TW itself, and would have enough variety, in that it'd be covering independence wars, the formation of national states, and all major military conflicts in the region's history. Hell, throw in Central America and I'd buy this as a standalone game.

edit: I figure Latin America by itself would bring little in the way of sales. Heck, just call it "Americas: Total War", and have it alongside the USA Secession war, and we'd have a sales success. 1812-1885, 4TPY, map all the way from Northern Canada to the Malvinas. Add some possibility of intervention from Ye Olde World. Lots of fun to be had.
    Last edited by Solar; March 19, 2010 at 06:02 AM.
    believe in nothing.

Sounds cool. I would download it.

Acco's Avatar Дијана

I would buy it too. Sounds fascinating.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

I'd rather see than just one area a Kingdoms style of expansion with:

• Simon Bolivar and the South Americans/Spanish
    • American Civil War with the addition of the British/Mexican Republic/Mexican Empire/French/Spanish/Native Americans
    • Great Game India/Central Asia, from 1790 to 1850, with Britain/Russia/Mysore/Marathi/Hyderabad/Sikhs/Afghans/Persians/various Khanates
    • Maybe Franco-Prussian War, but maybe something in Africa instead (South Africa?)

Big Pacha's Avatar Campidoctor

I would buy that too, especially if It's less than 10$ or 8€ (lets say 7$ like Warpath). That would be quite original.

But then... see my points about DLC campaigns HERE. "nuf said

Laetus

I don't know very much about Bolivar. Are there any quick resources (other than Wikipedia, which I don't quite trust on anything important) discussing his efforts?

Sounds rubbish but if it doesn't involve a US faction then its cool

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

How many non Americans would buy this however?

I think this community is forgetting that more than half of CA's fanbase is not American based. This conflict just isn't big enough compared to others to be an expansion. DLC I couldn't careless about.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dakier View Post
    I think this community is forgetting that more than half of CA's fanbase is not American based.
    A Bolivarian expansion would certainly include European factions. Spain, the Netherlands, France and the UK would all deserve a slot, I believe.
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

♔GrinningManiac♔'s Avatar Centenarius

I'd love for anything that takes me to South America, particularly Peru

Damn if I don't love that continent.

You guys have such an awesome place to live (if only I could say the same for your actual standards of living across the board (Poverty was absurd in some places (Though I loved how everyone exploits the tax relief from unfinished housing by having half-built second floors all over the place)))

I love the sound of this! This was a particularly interesting time in South American history. I also find it facsinating to see almost European style armies fighting in such exotic landscapes.

As some one mentioned early I would like to see the political aspects of the game furthered in the case of this expansion. Particularly in the differences between government types so that emerging nations might have to make critical policy descisions. The game Tropico springs to mind where the players drafts certain laws resulting various affects. Also, more in faction struggles between opposing parties would add a lot of interest.

I'de also love to see something in Africa as that region of the world has been barely covered by the total war series.