Thread: Español (Spanish)

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Total War en Español

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Hey guys, I am studying spanish this semester and one of my biggest problems is making a proper sentence. Which is why I would like to post a couple of setences I make every now and then have a fellow poster well versed in spanish in correcting my sentence and give me some tips for the future.

so here are what I wrote, I will put the English translation because I want to know how I can say that properly instead of accidentally saying something equivalent by mistake.

Hey! how are you?
    !Hola! ?como estas?

I am not well.
    !Eh! No muy bien.

where are we walking to?
    ?Adonde nosotros camiamos? (whats the difference between De Donde, Donde and Adonde?)

we are walking to the university.
    Nosotros camamos a la universidad.

at what time are we leaving?
    ?cuando es nosotros terminamos?

we are leaving at 5pm.
    nosotros terminamos son las cinco a la tarde.

which bus takes us to the university?
    ?cual autobus toma a la universidad?

bus 217 takes us to the university.
    es autobus 217 toma a la universidad.

at what time does your class start?
    ?cuando es ta clase comienzo?

my class starts at 2:30
    yo clase comienzo son las dos y treinte de la tarde

how many books do you have?
    ?cuantos libros tiene tu?

I have 47 books
    yo tirenes cuarenta y siete.

thanks for the help guys, I want to try to write a few new sentences every couple of hours to just immerse myself in spanish constantly and not forget what I did the next day.
    thanks!

What level are/how long have you been studying Spanish?
    I would recommend you get a good idea of how verbs and articles work in Spanish. Actually, a re view of Spanish grammar in general would help you.

~Lyra

The Dread Pirate Roberts IV

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Por un momento pensé que yo era snuggans. Unas décimas de segundo de locura total.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Pobre Mishkin. Perdiendo tu identidad?

~Lyra

Blog Entries

mishkin? Quién es mishkin?
    Otro de esos zumbados de Rome II?
    Mi nombre es Iñigo Montaya. Y busco a un tipo con seis dedos en la mano derecha. Uno que debe teclear muy rápido. Una bestia del spam. No serás tú?
    Last edited by mishkin; February 22, 2014 at 08:11 AM.

Hacia tiempo que no pasaba por aqui y me encuentro con Vaughan-tv

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    mishkin? Quién es mishkin?
    Otro de esos zumbados de Rome II?
    Mi nombre es Iñigo Montaya. Y busco a un tipo con seis dedos en la mano derecha. Uno que debe teclear muy rápido. Una bestia del spam. No serás tú?
    Pero si yo solo soy un poni super mono :3

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpionet View Post
    Hacia tiempo que no pasaba por aqui y me encuentro con Vaughan-tv
    Yay! Un scorpionet! Que quieres hacer?

~Lyra

Blog Entries

Un colega de Milner? (Rise of nations?)
    Dile que se pase por aqui de vez en cuando. Tanto modear y tanta familia no puede ser bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by Lуra View Post

Yay! Un scorpionet! Que quieres hacer?

~Lyra
    Intentar aprender algo de ingles ..... No, a quien voy a engañar .... bendito google translator

Un colega de Milner? (Rise of nations?)
    Dile que se pase por aqui de vez en cuando. Tanto modear y tanta familia no puede ser bueno.
    Una pena lo de RoN, la verdad es que prometia bastante, eso me recuerda que tengo que actualizar la firma
    Last edited by Scorpionet; February 23, 2014 at 05:12 AM.

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpionet View Post
    Intentar aprender algo de ingles ..... No, a quien voy a engañar .... bendito google translator
    Mixquinet lo hace y mira donde esta ahora! Ahi controlando a esos germanos.
    Recuerdo un timpo donde los Latinos controlabamos este foro... ah, viejos tiempos...

~Lyra

Hey guys, one question regarding Spanish grammar.

there was a sentence that I conjugated but the 'correction' told me to do it another way.
    I was looking to understand why.

Aprendes a leer tu sobrino. (I conjugated as the second person because he is talking to someone "tu" directly)
    Aprende a leer tu sobrino. (this was the answer and I dont understand why, he is talking to his newphew and not about him indirectly)

thanks

Blog Entries

How would the sentence be in english?

How would the sentence be in english?
    the sentence was as you see it, there was no english equivalent written nor was there more in that sentence.
    thats pretty much all I get and told to conjugate the aprender verb correctly.

Blog Entries

The problem is that none of the two sentences make sense. Maybe if it were a question.

Aprende a leer tu sobrino? (Your nephew is learning to read?)
    Enseñas (instead of aprendes) a leer a tu sobrino? (Do you teach reading to your nephew?)

well it says my book is based on the spanish speakers (mexicans) in the US so that might be it.
    the things you said were pretty complicated ways of making a sentence not at all what I usually see...

Lуra's Avatar Praeses

Hey guys, one question regarding Spanish grammar.

there was a sentence that I conjugated but the 'correction' told me to do it another way.
    I was looking to understand why.

Aprendes a leer tu sobrino. (I conjugated as the second person because he is talking to someone "tu" directly)
    Aprende a leer tu sobrino. (this was the answer and I dont understand why, he is talking to his newphew and not about him indirectly)

thanks

Let's analyze things:

In Spanish, verbs always have to concord with the subject of the clause. The verb is in 2nd Person Singular, thus in normative Spanish, the first sentence would mean: "You are learning to read your nephew." Not sure how correct this sentence is, as you don't normally 'read' people in Spanish.

The second sentence is equally strange, here the verb is in 3rd Person Singular, thus it would translate as "He/She/it is learning to read your nephew." This also makes as little sense as the last one.

The 'tu' is a possessive pronoun and has nothing to do with what the verb should be, it is complementing 'sobrino' which is nephew. In both sentences 'tu sobrino' has appeared after the verb and as such should be seen as the object of the clause. But, if we move it before the verb and make it the subject things start to clear up a little:

Tu sobrino aprende a leer.
    "Your nephew is learning to read."

So maybe you got the words a tad garbled? If so, then, yes, your corrector is correct.

~Lyra

Hola amigos latinos!
    Les pido que firma esta petición si quieres rome 2 en italiano y espanol... gracias!!
    http://www.change.org/it/petizioni/c...an-and-spanish

well it says my book is based on the spanish speakers (mexicans) in the US so that might be it.
    the things you said were pretty complicated ways of making a sentence not at all what I usually see...
    Los mexicanos tampoco hablan así. Si su libro usa lo chicano como muestra, a lo mejor que no tenga valor para nada. Nunca he visto un texto de español principiante que usa ni forma aparte de lo oficial del “Real Academia.“ Enséñenos las instrucciones y exactamente como parece la pregunta en el texto para que podamos ver un sentido posible. (Mexicans don’t speak jibberish either. If your book is based on Chicano speech, it’s probably worthless. I’ve never seen a Spanish book for beginners that uses anything other than that of the “Real Academia.“ Give us the instructions and exactly what the question is in the book so that we might see any possible meaning it could have.) A los nativos: Por favor, aconséjenme sobre la traducción. A menudo no puedo hacerla muy bien porque a veces los sentidos me parecen únicos, o es que no sé el sentido correcto.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Blog Entries

Yo lo unico que no entiendo de tu post es esto :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    A los nativos: Por favor, aconséjenme sobre la traducción. A menudo no puedo hacerla muy bien porque a veces los sentidos me parecen únicos, o es que no sé el sentido correcto.
    Acerca de la queja a CA. Iba a firmarla, pero he firmado decenas de peticiones de change.org y nunca me han pedido de esa forma mis datos personales (correo elecrónico, nombre y apellidos). Asi que desconfiado como soy, y dado que Rome II me importa poco y las traducciones pues tampoco mucho, lo siento pero no lo he hecho.
    Last edited by mishkin; February 24, 2014 at 03:27 AM.

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Dice que le cuesta traducir porque hay muchas formas con distintos significados y no sabe cual es la idónea

Interpretación a marzo, Mishkin

Blog Entries

No me entero. Soy un burro en cuestiones gramaticales.