Thread: Unit name changing

Default Unit name changing

Hi,

I've added (copied actually) the Old Guard to the Batavian Republic.
    The problem is that the unit remains known as Old Guard even under the Batvian Republic.

Now I want to rename this 'new' unit to something like "Garde Grenadiers".

Is this possible?
    And if it is could someone tell me how to do it, or point me to a tutorial?

thanks!

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Unit name changing

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Hi,

I've added (copied actually) the Old Guard to the Batavian Republic.
    The problem is that the unit remains known as Old Guard even under the Batvian Republic.

Now I want to rename this 'new' unit to something like "Garde Grenadiers".

Is this possible?
    And if it is could someone tell me how to do it, or point me to a tutorial?

thanks!
    Hi,

I have a completed new faction mod and this is the part of it, so I know how to do it. Once you want to change the new units name (cloned and tweaked unit) its problem, because you have to create a new unit. There is no way how to assign more names in localisation.loc to just one ID model in db tables. So you have to create a new unit. The guides (two seperate ones and newbie very unfriendly, a lot of things are missing and even for advanced modder its not pleasant to follow them) are here. I dont find them really helpfull for newcomers. I wanted to make a newbie-friendly guide for all of this stuff, but they would very likely be mad at me, because there is a one ""tutorial"" already here, u know. So you have to struggle as I did, if you want to do this thing..
    Last edited by fingon; March 19, 2010 at 06:01 AM.

Could you perhaps point to the tutorial for creating new units?

fingon's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Could you perhaps point to the tutorial for creating new units?
    Of course here, but as I said if you´re new to modding, its not really good idea to start with this tutorial. If you want to see how a real tutorial should look like - look at mine here. Btw you can learn the basics from it.
    Last edited by fingon; March 19, 2010 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fingon View Post
    I dont find them really helpfull for newcomers. I wanted to make a newbie-friendly guide for all of this stuff, but they would very likely be mad at me, because there is a one ""tutorial"" already here, u know. So you have to struggle as I did, if you want to do this thing..
    If you think that you can make an improved tutorial, it is welcomed, especially if it is useful for new players. That is the meaning of these forums here. The tutorials that are not welcomed are those that are similar with others because either the creator has not searched first to see the available tutorials or he just based them on an existing and do not mention the original so the player can tell who's idea is what. Also tutorials that are not tested to see if they rely work or tutorials that are very obvious, e.g. "how to turn on your computer" are not appreciated either.

To come to your point, if you think that you can make a better tutorial based on others I strongly suggest you to do it. I also strongly recommend you to mention clearly in the start of your text why you do it and what is your goal(s) and give it a clever title. In this way nobody can tell you nothing and you'll have helped the community.

I'm just going to give it a try and see what happens.