Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vanilla faction symbols: How to make one yourself

Shiina's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Vanilla faction symbols: How to make one yourself

In which file can you find the 65x69 tga which glowbal uses as a base?

Read it that symbol is resized after work is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by IZob View Post
    Well Da Goofy Glowbal (sorry I ment Glowbal ) didnt mention this as his just explaining how to make new 2d graphics. But theres more important information you should know:

1. All the faction shields (Coat of Arms shields) are within the \data\menu\symbols folder. You will need to unpack medieval II total war to find this folder, or you can find the folder within in most mods. (It deppends if the mod has its own CoA shields).

To create new CoA shields its as easy as replacing the file image or creating a new file.

Within the symbols folder you should find 3 other folders:

2. fe_buttons_24 are the small CoA shields used in the campaign scrolls, battle fields symbols.
    3. fe_buttons_48 are used in the game main menu, campagin scrolls and campaign display hud.
    4. fe_symbols_80 are used as the large shields on the battle display hud.

5. All files need to be saved as .tga file types.

6. Files inside the fe_buttons_24, fe_buttons_48, fe_symbols_80 folders have specific dimensions. Make sure when you create or edit files for the purpose of CoA's that they are the same width and height as the default versions (other wise your images will appear off centered).

7. Within the buttons folders (except fe_symbols_80) you will notice there is:
    - symbolxx_*faction_name*
    - symbolxx_*faction_name*_grey
    - symbolxx_*faction_name*_roll
    - symbolxx_*faction_name*_select

The "xx" represents either 24 or 48. It deppends on the file your editng in the folders.
    "symbolxx_*faction_name*" is the base CoA shield symbol used all the time.
    "grey" represents the file greyed out. I don't recall seeing it being used in the game but I have a theory its used when a faction is destroyed.
    "roll" used used in combination with "select". "roll" is used by medieval to highlight the CoA shield. "Select" is used to surround the CoA sheild with a glow effect.

Togther the files work by flashing on and off. You will notice this if you only edit the first file.

You can be creative and think up your own roll, select and grey effects. You dont need to follow the same medieval trend (highlight and glow) as most mods do. So long as the files are named correctly (..._grey, ..._roll & ..._select) it dosnt matter whats inside the file.

Shiina's Avatar Tiro

Ah thank you

Thanks for that,its easier to make with both of them(gimp,PS)but i have a question,the bg is black,and when i click alpha channel is red.
    In the game it will be Transparency?

Don't know what you meant but alpha channel excepts only two colors black and white.
    Black causes the transparency where ever it's painted in that texture.

Hi, I'd love to do this, but I can't see any of the images (and I'm a bit useless and need images to learn). Is there a pdf copy of instructions with images or something similar I could use? Cheers in advance

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

I'm afraid the images in the original post of this thread have been lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    I'm afraid the images in the original post of this thread have been lost forever.
    Ah, never mind. Thanks though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12