Thread: Making the campaign map faster?

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

Default Making the campaign map faster?

SS with RR/RC runs fine in battles for me.

But when it comes down to the campaign map, it's extremely laggy and AI turns can take up to five minutes.

Does anyone have any tricks to make it go faster? Apart from the setting priority thing, I already tied that.

Default Re: Making the campaign map faster?

Quote Originally Posted by themoob View Post
    But when it comes down to the campaign map, it's extremely laggy
    Improving lag in strategic map

Quote Originally Posted by ginger_hammer View Post
    Just in the main video settings there is a check box for enabling campaign shadows - untick this box. You can't do it in-game, you have to be at the main menu
    I have a decent enough PC and the campaign shadows still lag mine so I always turn them off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rean View Post
    Hmm, i had a similar problem, it started when my cities grew and trade increased. This increased the number of trading wagons, wich are with new models. As my pc is quite slow i had a huge lag because of this. The solution i found was to change the wagon textures back to vanilla ones. There should be a thread like this is this forum, try to search for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bane_tw View Post
    The trade ship textures can be changed to vanilla as well.
    go to Stainless_Steel_6\Data\terrain\aerial_map\ships
    zip or rar the contents and then delete the originals.
    Same should apply to Stainless_Steel_6\Data\terrain\aerial_map\wagons although I haven't used that fix myself.
    Always make backups.

Turn the graphics down to minimum, go to the campaign script (I forget which one), take out all instances that have to do with princesses, and such. Also you can remove merchants, spies and assassins from the game which also speeds up the game considerably, I did this since I just don't like the mini assassin, spy and merchant game, and it makes priests more of a threat if your another religion.

Also, you may just need a computer upgrade, RAM, a good graphics card and atleast a duel core CPU will help tremendously. Im unsure if this game runs on quad core however, probably not

Also, you may just need a computer upgrade, RAM, a good graphics card and atleast a duel core CPU will help tremendously. Im unsure if this game runs on quad core however, probably not
    Just to clarify:
    Medieval II: Total War has no multicore support. Only advantage is singling out ONE core for kingdoms.exe via taskmanager. You might notice how it never exceeds 50% cpu even with both cores allocated.

I could've sworn I saw somewhere that MTW2 supported duel core, thats a shame. Or maybe that was ETW, damn!

Thanks for the tips, I'll get them sorted out tonight, although I already had all my settings down and I can't afford any upgrades.

Anymore ideas?

Not much else you can do really, except remove agents on the map that cause clutter and the notification events for princesses and such. Other than that, not much else

I suppose I don't need agents or most notifications, do you know how to remove those?

To get rid of agents (well not from game start, but to prevent them from re-appearing), go to your export_descr_building, and then press CTRL + F and type in agent_limit. It'll skip to all the buildings that have an agent limit, then just change whatever agents you dont want. Make sure you get to the bottom lawl.

To remove princesses notifications, just use the search function because I forget how too remove them LOL. I don't mod like crazy like I did before since I've gotten lazy, but im pretty sure its either in descr_strat or the campaign script in your campaign folders.

To remove Princesses notifications, you can edit the campaign_script file located in data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign. In the "PLAYER NOTIFICATIONS" part, you can remove lines concerning princesses between ";================= Player Notification ==================" and ";================= Interactive Events ===================". You also have the fall of capitals and ruler's deads (I personally removed them too)

caralampio's Avatar Magnificus

I have the same problem, AI turns up to 6 minutes or more when the game is advanced (turn 70 or so). and lag on the campaign map with moving units hesitating for several seconds before ending their move.

Reinstalling only helped a little. My computer although not a monster rig is not exactly a wimp. I can play FPS games like Half Life 2 or Call of Duty without problems, and also have no trouble with ETW or NTW on high settings. It's only SS 6.2 RR/RC.

So I took the hard decision and went back to 6.1. A decision I do not regret. AI turns are around 1 minute or less, enough time to fetch a drink or take a leak. Almost negligible lag on map. Noticeable improvement in performance even on the battle map. I've not had such fun with SS in months! I've been playing nonstop since yesterday afternoon (except for sleeping, of course).
    Last edited by caralampio; March 21, 2010 at 05:51 PM.