NetHack player (nao info)

Risen from Prey

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

L'Shana Tova and happy Rosh Hashanah!

Mazel Tov! :wink:
    浪人 - 二天一

Hello!
    How can we say “spearmen” and “cavalry” in hebrew?
    (Transliterated)
    Um dia destes vou mudar a minha assinatura.

Simetrical's Avatar Former Chief Technician
    Patrician

‫גה! אין פה אפילו ישראלי אחד?! שטות. יש לפחות ארבעה ישראלים בפורמי RTR.‬
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulius Hostilius
    Hello!
    How can we say “spearmen” and “cavalry” in hebrew?
    (Transliterated)
    Well, "spear" is kidon, so "spearmen" might be ba'al kidon. "Rider" is rokhev, plural rokhevim. Although I expect I'm a little late to help you.
    MediaWiki developer, TWC Chief Technician

Risen from Prey

Mr.Flint's Avatar Senator

Kidon is a Javelin, and a Javelin bearer. plural Kidonim can mean both javelins and javelin bearers.
    a Spear is Hanit, but beats me how it should be in plural... (hanit is feminine so it should be hanitot, but thats doesnt sounds right...) need to dig my dictionary... will be back.

לוֹם

I'm very, very much confused over Hebrew... I decided to mess around with my name a bit and convert it to the Hebrew alphabet. Of course not in a professional or correct way:

יֻשׂתִניִנ

Well, Mr. Flint (having FAR better knowledge of Hebrew then me) provided this way of transliterating:

יוסטיניאן

And I can barely read it at all... so could someone who doesn't have Bar Mitzvah-level knowledge of Hebrew explain?

תודה

Wait, I see (well, he explained it) ... those are rules I forgot about. I hate rules. Which is why I forgot them... I forget things I hate. Perhaps I should try to learn Hebrew again.
    Last edited by Justinian; January 13, 2006 at 11:59 PM.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

I warn you those rules are a big pain in the arse to learn....(though grammar is far bigger pain )
    Last edited by Mr.Flint; January 14, 2006 at 01:57 AM.

I've never understood why it's necessary to have TWO silent letters which serve the same purpose as vowels, א and ע.

I mean, they do the same thing, right? Or am I just dumb?

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

well not exactly, ע usually used for a more prolonged throaty vowel, while א usually used as a short vowel, specifically in places where you need to stress the vowel.
    you just need to remember what words use each, thats it

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flint
    Kidon is a Javelin, and a Javelin bearer. plural Kidonim can mean both javelins and javelin bearers.
    a Spear is Hanit, but beats me how it should be in plural... (hanit is feminine so it should be hanitot, but thats doesnt sounds right...) need to dig my dictionary... will be back.
    ‫בה! ידעתי כי האות הראשון של הדבר "ח", אבל מלוני הרע אמר "כידון".

אתה ישראלי, כנראה?‬
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    I'm very, very much confused over Hebrew... I decided to mess around with my name a bit and convert it to the Hebrew alphabet. Of course not in a professional or correct way:

יֻשׂתִניִנ

Well, Mr. Flint (having FAR better knowledge of Hebrew then me) provided this way of transliterating:

יוסטיניאן

And I can barely read it at all... so could someone who doesn't have Bar Mitzvah-level knowledge of Hebrew explain?
    See, Israelis practically never bother with the vowel signs (which makes spelling a heck of a lot easier and, to non-Israelis, reading quite a lot harder). They're very annoying to type if you actually type in Hebrew rather than using a character map, and in handwriting they're small and easy to miss or screw up, plus they usually aren't necessary. So instead, in transliterating foreign words, Israelis mostly rely on what pretentious academics call matres lectionis, namely ו and י, to make things easier. /i/ and long /e/ are indicated by י, /u/ and /o/ are indicated by ו.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinian
    I've never understood why it's necessary to have TWO silent letters which serve the same purpose as vowels, א and ע.
    Well, first of all, they're not really any different as a pair than ט and ת‎, ס and ש, etc.—or, in English, C/K/Q. In the case of Hebrew, they used to be pronounced differently, but are now pronounced identically by most speakers.

Second of all, א and ע are not vowels and are not, certainly to Israelis but also to a lesser extent to Ashkenazic Jews, silent. They are in fact widely pronounced as a consonant known as a "glottal stop". Say the word uh-oh very slowly and distinctly—there will be a brief sort of catch in your throat in between the two vowel sounds. That's a glottal stop. Now, many Ashkenazic Hebrew speakers don't pronounce this glottal stop under most circumstances, but many do sometimes and some do often, particularly when they're trying to be distinct. מַלָּח (sailor) and מַלְאָךְ (messenger/angel) are pronounced differently by some, even if they don't distinguish ח and כ or pronounce דגשים חזקים.

In the old days, it's believed ע was pronounced as what's know as a voiced pharyngeal fricative. This sounds like a really weird G sound. Some people still pronounce it as one of a few related sounds, such as voiced velar fricative (which sounds something like a French /r/ sound).

Risen from Prey

Quote Originally Posted by Simetrical
    ‫בה! ידעתי כי האות הראשון של הדבר "ח", אבל מלוני הרע אמר "כידון".

אתה ישראלי, כנראה?‬
    כן, אבל לא הייתי בארץ זמן מה

See, Israelis practically never bother with the vowel signs (which makes spelling a heck of a lot easier and, to non-Israelis, reading quite a lot harder). They're very annoying to type if you actually type in Hebrew rather than using a character map, and in handwriting they're small and easy to miss or screw up, plus they usually aren't necessary. So instead, in transliterating foreign words, Israelis mostly rely on what pretentious academics call matres lectionis, namely ו and י, to make things easier. /i/ and long /e/ are indicated by י, /u/ and /o/ are indicated by ו.
    Well you might find the vowel signs in school books or special literature...

Well, first of all, they're not really any different as a pair than ט and ת‎, ס and ש, etc.—or, in English, C/K/Q. In the case of Hebrew, they used to be pronounced differently, but are now pronounced identically by most speakers.

Second of all, א and ע are not vowels and are not, certainly to Israelis but also to a lesser extent to Ashkenazic Jews, silent. They are in fact widely pronounced as a consonant known as a "glottal stop". Say the word uh-oh very slowly and distinctly—there will be a brief sort of catch in your throat in between the two vowel sounds. That's a glottal stop. Now, many Ashkenazic Hebrew speakers don't pronounce this glottal stop under most circumstances, but many do sometimes and some do often, particularly when they're trying to be distinct. מַלָּח (sailor) and מַלְאָךְ (messenger/angel) are pronounced differently by some, even if they don't distinguish ח and כ or pronounce דגשים חזקים.

In the old days, it's believed ע was pronounced as what's know as a voiced pharyngeal fricative. This sounds like a really weird G sound. Some people still pronounce it as one of a few related sounds, such as voiced velar fricative (which sounds something like a French /r/ sound).
    Heh, i was under impression that they are vowels... so much to my knowledge of hebrew and linquistics :laughing:
    Note: Yemeni jews still pronounce as the weird "G" sound, while most North African jews pronounce it as throaty "aaiin"

Patrician

‫שאלה על דקדוק. הנכון בעברית מודרנית לומר, למשל, "עתה ידעתי כי ירא אלהים אתה", או רק "עתה אני יודע..."? בעברית של תנ"ך שניהם נכון.‬
    Heh, i was under impression that they are vowels... so much to my knowledge of hebrew and linquistics :laughing:
    ‫הנה, אלו תהיה יוני או ארמיני, אמרת "לא, מה ידעת?! אתה לא ישראלי! העברים דברו כהיום!" צריכים לדבר עם שוטים הרבה בתקון ריאליזם.

ערוך: הנה, כאן אני בלבלתי "א" ב"ע"! כתבתי "לדבר אם שוטים" למעלה. :sweatingb‬

Risen from Prey

Default ישראלים להיכנס (Hebrow)

אם יש פה ישראלים ויש.. אז אם בא להם לדב בעברית. כאן זה המקום.

אז אממממממממממממממ ...........מה שלומכם?

Default Re: עברית! (Hebrew)

למה זה בעמוד השני ? בגללכם פתחתי נושא חדש ><
    איזה באסה שנגמר חופש פסח ={

I have forgotten about this thread

sorry, but im going to write in latin letters now, my keyboard has no hebrew on it, and its one big pain in the a** to use the character map tool for that...

‫שאלה על דקדוק. הנכון בעברית מודרנית לומר, למשל, "עתה ידעתי כי ירא אלהים אתה", או רק "עתה אני יודע..."? בעברית של תנ"ך שניהם נכון.‬

‫הנה, אלו תהיה יוני או ארמיני, אמרת "לא, מה ידעת?! אתה לא ישראלי! העברים דברו כהיום!" צריכים לדבר עם שוטים הרבה בתקון ריאליזם.

ערוך: הנה, כאן אני בלבלתי "א" ב"ע"! כתבתי "לדבר אם שוטים" למעלה. :sweatingb‬
    kah ve kah nahon, aval be ivrit shel hayom, milim kmo "עתה" ve "ירא" be dereh klal lo meshumashot , bemkomam meshtamshim be "akhshav" ve "pohed" aval, rov ha anshim yavinu ma ata omer :original:

(i hope you wont have a difficult time to read that :laughing: )

Quote Originally Posted by I_Hate_Pompey
    למה זה בעמוד השני ? בגללכם פתחתי נושא חדש ><
    איזה באסה שנגמר חופש פסח ={
    Al titlonen nishar leha rak hodshaim ad hofesh kaiz

Patrician

I have forgotten about this thread

sorry, but im going to write in latin letters now, my keyboard has no hebrew on it, and its one big pain in the a** to use the character map tool for that...
    Mine doesn't either, I just touch-type it. You remember where the keys are after a while. Do you know how to set up your keyboard to type in Hebrew? Control Panel -> (Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options -> ) Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> (if unchecked: Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages, Apply, restart computer, get back to here -> ) Details -> Add... -> you can figure out the rest. I just press Ctrl-Shift-2 whenever I want to type in Hebrew.

Risen from Prey

Mine doesn't either, I just touch-type it. You remember where the keys are after a while. Do you know how to set up your keyboard to type in Hebrew? Control Panel -> (Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options -> ) Regional and Language Options -> Languages -> (if unchecked: Install files for complex script and right-to-left languages, Apply, restart computer, get back to here -> ) Details -> Add... -> you can figure out the rest. I just press Ctrl-Shift-2 whenever I want to type in Hebrew.
    yeah, i have hebrew set up as a third language, for quite a long time, i just dont type in it that much, so i never remember where the keys are :laughing:
    i just need to find some time and find where to buy some hebrew keyboard stickers...

Ma kore anashim? Kama israelim yesh po be-twcenter?

Quote Originally Posted by tFighterPilot
    Ma kore anashim? Kama israelim yesh po be-twcenter?
    אתה לא מגיימר ?

Page 1 of 41 123456789101126 ... LastLast