Thread: Byzantine units in RC/RR

Default Byzantine units in RC/RR

I tried to find anything about it but haven't found any info. I am currently playing SS 6.1 with Basileia ton Romaion sub mod, and I saw in other thread that someone posted a picture of "The Menualois" unit. When I asked about it, someone I was told it's RC/RR mod. Does RC/RR really add new byzantine units and "expands" CBUR? Is there any place where all units in RC/RR are shown and described?

Default Re: Byzantine units in RC/RR

I haven't yet played as the Byzantines, but I've fought against them, and I have yet to see the "Menualois".

You can check the unit_descr file for the stats of all units in RR/RC. Honga didn't make a detailed list on his site for RR/RC.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Yes RR/RC includes the CBUR roster for the Romans. It also adds a few "what-if" units for them to make them more competitive in the late era seeing as in-game they often survive past 1453.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

It also adds a few "what-if" units for them to make them more competitive in the late era seeing as in-game they often survive past 1453
    Do you mean few more late era byzantine units? I am a great fan of Byzantium and I always wanted to see more byzantine late game units. Can you describe shortly what are those new units that Byzantium have? Downloading RC/RR may take two or three days for me (slow connection) so I would like to know those things before I start downloading. In other mods I there are threads in which all units are described, in RC/RR I don't see anything like it and I think it's a bad idea.

Any help and info will be greatly appreciated.

Had a quick look at their late units in custom battles. They get late musketeers, latin handgunners and xbows, a bombard and cannon unit. Didnt notice any other 'what if' units but I haven't played them in campaign yet and i dont know if the custom battle roster is supposed to be complete. Hope it helps.

Edit: But i guess xbows, handcanons and bombards aren't really 'what if' since they were around long before 1453 and I assume the greeks used them to some degree, so..yeah
    Last edited by ne'er-do-well; March 18, 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Menaulatoi Pikemen.

Graeme's Avatar Tiro

Didnt see a unit_descr file as mentioned above but found an export_unit_descr if this is what k/t means.

I guess in here the Ownership field says which unit Byzantium will have, eg ownership slave, england, hre, byzantium

So apart from the usual CBUR units from the early game that I can see like Scoutatoi, Acontistae, Castrophilakae, Stratiotae etc the newer ones I can see in this file which I havent got yet are:

English Huscarls(to signify the Anglo Varangian guard I guess)
    Late musketeers
    Alamanoi
    Gasmuli (latin x bows)
    Menaulatoi (late pikemen)

Its a complete Byzantine mod though as it has all those BtR/CBUR extras like titles(megas domestikos, megas konstavlos) and the ranking system(comes, drougarios) and relics(sword of basil bulgarokontos, constantines banner). I used to play 6.1 with BtR but this RC/RR package is a huge upgrade on that.

English Huscarls are superceded by the Varangian Guard in 1200 so unless you were exceptionally quick to build up the palaces, you won't have seen them.

I haven't checked the export_descr_building but the Alamanoi and Gasmuli probably come later from the mercenary type buildings and the pikemen/musketeers most definitely come close to 1500.

EDIT: Alamanoi do come from the mercenary type buildings but Gasmuli are in city barracks, which one I've forgotten.
    Last edited by meese; March 19, 2010 at 08:19 AM.

Actually, aren't the Latin Handgunners misnamed? I tried them out in custom battle at one point and they are armed with Arquebusiers and not handguns. They seem to be a Byzantine version of the Early Arquebusiers unit rather than handgunners.

Yes you could say they are misnamed, they do use arquebuses.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerVX View Post
    Actually, aren't the Latin Handgunners misnamed?
    If you're interested you can easily change the name (bold section) by editing Stainless_Steel_6\Data\text\export_units.txt
    Code:
    {Latin_Handgunners}Latin Handgunners
    {Latin_Handgunners_descr_short}Italian mercenaries armed with an arquebus and sword.
    {Latin_Handgunners_descr}Quality: Superior.\nType: Mercenary (high upkeep, often slightly reduced morale and discipline).\n\nIn order to protect their economic interests in the cities of the Empire where they lived, some Italian merchants recruited mercenaries from the Italian peninsula (mostly former naval crews and marines). As mercenaries they often employed the latest weaponry. The newly developed handguns and arquebuses were no exception.

Gnostiko's Avatar Campidoctor

Perhaps it would be better to re-name them (as some of us over at the BtR forums have) their proper Greek name - Tuphakyphori! It simply means 'gun' wielder.